Sign in to follow this  
moss1

Audible don't sink, flap warnings etc...

Hi Everyone, I did a search but can't find a solution to turning off the don't sink and flap warnings in FSX. I fly mostly helis, so hearing this is driving nuts when going into a hover everytime. What function turns these sounds off if possible? Worse case, I'll find the files and edit them but would like to avoid that. Thanks for any input.

Guest JIMJAM

Very few of my planes have their original sounds. I collect them and use them to customize my favorite planes. Such as the touch down and roll sounds.In this case, you could simply rename it. What I did was rename the offending sound,or delete it, then replace it with another with no sound. Look through other planes sound files and find one you want. Now simply name it "dontsink" "flap" or whatever it was named.Hope this makes sense its late....

Hi Jeff-Navigate to the the following folder:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XSoundDelete the GPWS -Don't Sink Wave file and problem solved. It annoys me as well, and I hear it even when I am RIGHT ON THE GLIDESLOPE!Cheers,http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Don't delete it. Just RENAME it to something like ".wav.ORIGINAL" (add the .ORIGINAL to the end of the file name). That way FSX won't use it anymore, but you can always rename it back to the original filename if you want it again. You never know....

Rick Ryan

Well, of course you can delete/rename the .wav files, but IMO the best way to silence the built-in FSX-GPWS is to keep it deactivated at all time. And you can do that per aircraft.In the aircraft.cfg file, add (or change) the section:(GPWS) //Use square backets heremax_warning_height = -10000Giving it a high, negative altitude effectively disables all GPWS callouts.Cheers, Rob

I wouldn't deactivate the entire GPWS - it will save your a#s some day when you forget to lower the gear. He just doesn't like the annoying "don't sink" callout, the tolerance of which must be set to some impossibly narrow threshold of vertical speed.http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

I wouldn't deactivate the entire GPWS - it will save your a#s some day when you forget to lower the gear. He just doesn't like the annoying "don't sink" callout, the tolerance of which must be set to some impossibly narrow threshold of vertical speed.http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

>I wouldn't deactivate the entire GPWS - it will save your a#s>some day when you forget to lower the gear. He just doesn't>like the annoying "don't sink" callout, the tolerance of which>must be set to some impossibly narrow threshold of vertical>speed.Alex, GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System) is an entirely seperate function from the other warning systems, such as the gear, flaps, et cetera.Further, there are many options that may be configured for GPWS:max_warning_height The height below which a warning is activated.sink_rate_fpm If an aircraft exceeds this rate of descent a warning is activated. excessive_sink_rate_fpm If an aircraft exceeds this rate of descent an urgent warning is activated. climbout_sink_rate_fpm If an aircraft starts to descend during takeoff, and exceeds this rate of descent, a warning is activated. flap_and_gear_sink_rate_fpm If an aircraft is landing, and exceeds this rate of descent without flaps or gear extended, a warning is activated. For example, the default 737-800 entries are:{GPWS}max_warning_height = 1000sink_rate_fpm = -1500excessive_sink_rate_fpm = -2000climbout_sink_rate_fpm = -100flap_and_gear_sink_rate_fpm= -100

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks everyone for your input. I started noticing this when I changed the sound set on the default Bell 206 to the new TSS set. Interesting.... Anyway, I will probably just modify the sounds or rename them incase being I am trying to develop start up sounds for the TSS set from other sets I have. Thanks so much again :)

I appreciate the systems clarification Bill, and the config data for adding / modifying the GPWS in FSX. I've been experimenting with adding the callouts to 3rd party aircraft in FSX. But common, Bill, you didn't have to tell me what the GPWS Mnemonic stands for...I've been around the the block a few times too. :)http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

Guest JEL

>Hi Everyone, I did a search but can't find a solution to>turning off the don't sink and flap warnings in FSX. I fly>mostly helis, so hearing this is driving nuts when going into>a hover everytime. What function turns these sounds off if>possible? Worse case, I'll find the files and edit them but>would like to avoid that. Thanks for any input.You can go to 'options' and then into the menu where you set your keys and set a keyboard or joystick hot-key for GPWS on/off. This way you can switch it on and off whenever you need it in mid-flight.JEL

>I appreciate the systems clarification Bill, and the config>data for adding / modifying the GPWS in FSX. I've been>experimenting with adding the callouts to 3rd party aircraft>in FSX. But common, Bill, you didn't have to tell me what the>GPWS Mnemonic stands for...I've been around the the block a>few times too. :)That was included for the benefit of other reader's, who may not know what GPWS stands for... :+

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yeah - many thanks, Bill! There's more than a few of us dummies who are very, very glad of Bill's expertise! :-beerchug

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hey Bill,The Airbus is the only one that contains the 'retard - reatard' sounds.Why was that omitted in the default Airbus please?

Dave Taylor gb.png