Sign in to follow this  
scoob

Wilco CRJ?

Guest NoobPilot

Does anyone have the Wilco CRJ series? if so, how is it? what are the framerates like? It's one of my favorite default planes, not just because it's from my home country, but is the Wilco CRJ series any better than the default?

I'm looking for info on the fsx version too. Doesn't seem to be a lot of comment anywhere on it.Dave

Guest NoobPilot

Assuming the FSX version is almost the same as the FS'04 version, it would be pretty good, and also with Wilco/FeelThere's rep... not sure though.

Guest PPSFA

I've tryed to get user feedback on it but not much luck. Their support is tighter than Ft Knox so there is no way to find out about any problems. Their forums are next to useless, which is too bad because I was really interested in it.

Wanna buy that shiny new toy from Wilco/feelThere?It'll be like throwing a dart at a dart board without looking. If you are lucky, you'll hit well and be satisfied (meaning feelThere/Wilco are capable of making good addons). However, there is a greater chance you will not hit well or miss the dartboard entirely. What this means is: you'll encounter an intractable bug and face a wall of silence and confusion as you try to unsuccesfully engage Wilco for service. Then you'll hit the endless loop of Wilco saying: if you need more support for this product go to the feeltehre forums. Once you get to the feelthere forums, you might find that the support forum is shut down and/or you'll be directed to a "if we feel like it" unofficial and non-technical "support" forum. In other words, you "pays your money and you takes your chances."From observing their 10-11 year history, I have found that the Wilco apparatus is a "hit and run" operation. The "hit" might be a good one (as in: it's a hit!), or, you have a "hit" (like getting punched in the gut) and you'll be in the dark. In either case, Wilco has "run" off with your dough and has run onto the next product. To be fair, they do patch their work and seem to try. But the lame "go ask your father" from Wilco and the "go ask your mother" from feelthere is just too much to bear most times. There are some customers and moderators/employees that do try to help on the feelthere fora, but the entire approach of subterfuge, obfuscation and indirection always leaves me cold.Of course, I am an idiot (and clinically crazy) because every couple of years I get enticed by the great ad copy and wonderful feature-list and screenshots on the Wilco site (inevitably for a feelThere product - they don't seem to be much other than a front for feelThere's productions) and take a bite of the poisoned apple (or, drink the Koolaid, if you will). Nearly always, there are show-stopping bugs for which finding solutions is too painful, confusing or frustrating. You might be directed to fill out a black-hole support form at Wilco whereupon your service request disappears into the ether with no confirmation, no reply, no luck. Or, you'll go the the increasingly contracting support horizon at feelthere where some of the answers you get will contradict ad copy found on the product and support pages at Wilco: Wilco page says Operating System X is supported and feelThere says "uh, no, it's not really." Othertimes, you hit intransigence whereby you'll just be directed to Wilco without much further ado. I get the impression that the contract is not with the customer but to deliver content to Wilco and be done with it. Anyhow, if you don't believe me, have a scan of this forum or the feelthere forum, or countless other fora out there on the 'net; you'll find plenty of dissatisfaction with the Wilco/feelthere customer experience. Now that I've said this, you'll likely hear from the completely satisfied, dedicated or perhaps fanatical feelThere/Wilco apologists and I can't really refute their claims that all is peachy in feelThere/Wilco land. My experience, and that of countless others, says otherwise. So, to conclude, in my experience, you will largely be panning for fool's gold when purchasing from Wilco/feelthere: sometimes you'll actually get a gold nugget, but you'll mostly be getting FeS2.Of course, YMMV, but I think the whole deal is bordering on poor business ethics.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

>Assuming the FSX version is almost the same as the FS'04 versionthe FSX version is the same as the FS9 - the CRJ was updated to work w/in the 'FSX world'.the CRJ is not a 'high fidelity' sim. it is a 'fleet' aircraft made to fly very much like the r/w; but without 15 minutes of switch flipping and button pushing. the autopilot and engine controls are very close to their r/w aircraft in function. you can program the FMC and get into the air in about 5 minutes.the package includes the -200, -700 and -900 aircrafts. the panel for the -200 is different than that shared by the -700/900 (like r/w). the CRJ forum Q&A will answer 98% of your questions as how things function in FS9 is how things function in FSX -http://www.iemit.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=4if you have a specific Q post here -http://www.iemit.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=27--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Hello,I bought the Wilco CRJ about 2 months ago, installed it in FS9 and took a few flights. I haven't tried out the systems modelling, which is limited compared to the PIC series. But I was so taken aback by the appearance of the virtual cockpit that I haven't tried flying it since. It isn't that the textures are poor or muddy; it's that the displays are so small as to be almost unreadable, at least on my 19-inch monitor. True, you can click on each display, and it will pop up to a larger size, so you can fill your view with enlarged displays. But to me this defeats the concept of a virtual cockpit. You might as well operate the 2D one instead. You can also zoom in, but it kinda of distorts your perspective for flying. The view you get in the FSX default CRJ is just about right. Too bad the Feel There view isn't as good.This small display size is also somewhat true of the PIC 737 IMO, but I can still see the displays without squinting too much. The 737 is a fine product in almost all respects, and it is more frame-rate friendly that the PMDG version. I found that it performed well in FSX, too, except, for some reason you can't see the displays at night. I suspect that the CRJ is also well done, if you can tolerate the small displays, but I was so turned off by them that I didn't stick around to try out the rest of the features. If Feel There could fix this I might consider another go at it.Well, that's my 2 cents worth anyway. Hope it helps.Tom Murphy

Guest NoobPilot

How about their Airbus series? and the LevelD 767? I was thinking of getting the PMDG NGX 737 when it comes out, judging by their other products it sounds pretty good.

Guest PPSFA

If you want an airliner thats done right, easy on the frames rates, and is very realistic, check out the Super MD80 from Flight 1, for my money its the best available on the market.

+1 on that.Also, Espen is a model of customer service.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I have it and I like it.I don't have any of the FULL sim planes..ATR from Flight1, 767, 747 etc. so I can't comment on how complex they really are, but I can make assumptions and I will.I think the CRJ is somewhere in the middle of the Complex and the Default FSX planes as far as basic complexity goes.It does have an FMC so that moves it up a complex notch or two.It feels to me that it flies similar to the real thing. This is based on my flight last month on a CRJ and my gut feelings as to the responsiveness of the plane. I feels small as a jet goes and my landings with it feel to me to be similar to the real flights I just made.I like it, but it does require you to read about the FMC systems a little. It is not as easy as the default boeings or other FSX defaults.I usually fly 2D panels so I won't comment on the VC.FSX Accel, XP SP2

Guest NoobPilot

Heh... now we have a review for that, too. Thanks!

the feelThere ERJ is an aircraft design much different than the CRJ when looking at systems. the ERJ series (both the 145 and legacy) have substantial system modeling and a highly detailed FMC. the CRJ isn't 'in the same class' of simulation.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/