Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

Well...I'll be.......I had 3 gigs of RAM, but was NOT USING IT!.....

>Hi Bill,>>XP/SP2 and I can see hidden files and folders but no boot.ini>>Wonder why a search won't even find it? Beats me...You are looking in the C: root folder right?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm able to run FSX maxed, including Bloom sometimes, in my bush flights and get nice FPS but after maybe twenty minutes I get the "You're an idiot and you're out of memory. Please restart FSX with lower settings". Yeah, sure, I spent 2.3K on my rig so I could turn down the settings in FSX. Right...My rig is an E6700/2GB RAM/8800GTS 640MB. Will this fix the problem? I'm a tech-zero, not a tech-hero, so I don't want to get into something unless I'm sure.Thanks.

>>Just so you are aware Mitch, you have now made Windows 3GB>aware but FSX is not.>>There are only 2 ways to get FSX to be aware of and use the>extra memory>>1. Mark the fsx.exe file using software that will allow you to>set the >2GB marker>>2. install Sp2 which has the marker in the fsx.exe file>>>Since you do not like SP2, you must edit fsx.exe manually so>it will use the memory. >>Download CFF Explorer>>http://www.download.com/CFF-Explorer/3000-...4-10431156.html>>>Start CFF Explorer>>Go to: File - Open >>browse and open FSX.exe>>look for " File Header" and in the right pane you will see>"click here". Click it. A box will open. >>Look for "App can handle >2gb addressest" Check it. >>Save and close >>FSX will now use more than 2GB>If you are using SP2 (with fsx.exe marker whatever), does that mean the /3GB switch is still needed?

Yes it does. The /3gig switch is one of the two parts for correcting the OOM issue. By default 2gig (of virtual memory) is assigned for use by the application: anything above is reserved for system use. You need to increase the amount that the applicatiom can use to 2560 or something like that, and that's done by editing the boot.ini file (in XP).FSX.exe needs to tell the system that it can handle more memory: that part is done by the CFF procedure quoted in your post, or by installing SP2, which does it for you.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

>Yes it does. The /3gig switch is one of the two parts for>correcting the OOM issue. >>By default 2gig (of virtual memory) is assigned for use by the>application: anything above is reserved for system use. You>need to increase the amount that the applicatiom can use to>2560 or something like that, and that's done by editing the>boot.ini file (in XP).>>FSX.exe needs to tell the system that it can handle more>memory: that part is done by the CFF procedure quoted in your>post, or by installing SP2, which does it for you.Thanks!I have found some articles at Microsoft.http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platf...PAE/PAEmem.mspxhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/316739

Guest Nick_N

>If you are using SP2 (with fsx.exe marker whatever), does that mean the /3GB switch is still needed?Yes

Guest Nick_N

I have seeen memory usage with FSX as high as 3.2G using XP x64 and 4GBI do not need to use the switch because I run a 64bit OSRun better as in frames? Absolutely not

>>> Application Memory Tuning - This capability allows memory-intensive applications to utilize up to 50 percent more virtual memory on Intel-based computers. Application memory tuning provides more of the computer's virtual memory to applications by providing less virtual memory to the operating system.Nick, if you re-read my post that is what I said... or at least tried to say.

Bert

Guest Nick_N

>Nick, if you re-read my post that is what I said... or at>least tried to say.Yes Bert, I saw that..... >One more time... this switch has nothing to do with how much>physical RAM Windows can use.>>It simply allows an application that can use it, to use more>than 2 GB of virtual address space, taking that address space>away from the Operating System.however your blanket statement that setting the marker is only about virtual address space was confusing... and is where the confusion is perpetuated. You are correct that it is mostly about address space but you cannot have PAE functioning correctly and allowing use of more than 2GB without the markers in place, first... that is the trigger to use the PM and therefore it does not have to do with 'how much' physical RAM Windows can use, it has to do with allowing above 2GB to be used. The hard limit on that with a 32bit OS is 4GBYour statement is confusing.. it suggests (by accident I am sure) that setting the switch and value will not have any affect on PM use.EDIT: A layman or someone who is not computer savvy may read your statement that way.. I saw what you said and because of how it was written I was not sure if you were makeing a 'blanket' statement about PM or specific... if I read it specific, you are correct that is has nothing to do with the "amount" of memory used... I just dont want the confusion about this subject to get worse. Without a technical background, most would read what you posted as it has 'nothing' to do with allowing more than 2GB or PM.