Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

Well...I'll be.......I had 3 gigs of RAM, but was NOT USING IT!.....

Guest Nick_N

It does not surprise me you results are better even without the >2GB marker in FSX. FSX/XP/Vista really need 3GB to do the job right. 2GB is the absolute minimum and with Vista 3-4GB is needed even more

C'mon guys, what about Windows XP SP3? Anyone have definitive info? I've been told SP3 overcomes the RAM limit without needing further tweaks but I'd prefer something more concrete than hearsay. All I know for sure is that the boot.ini tweak does nothing for my system using XP SP3.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

One more time... this switch has nothing to do with how much physical RAM Windows can use.It simply allows an application that can use it, to use more than 2 GB of virtual address space, taking that address space away from the Operating System.

Bert

You are right, this is confusing...The initial statement, that the /3GB switch allows someone to "use 3 gigs of RAM" is simply incorrect.If you search for the original thread, you'll find that the limitation that is overcome with this switch, is the amount of virtual address space that is made available to an application. This process is INDEPENDENT of the actual amount of physical RAM on the computer.

Bert

Guest Nick_N

XP SP3 doe not do anything to the PAE systemIt requires the same boot.ini editsJust because you are addressing >2GB of memory does not mean FSX will change or run better. That all comes down to the system and how well you have tuned it and FSXMitch has followed my instructions for XP tuning and because of that, when he makes changes he sees results. Most systems are not set up for heavy load graphics applications and FSX is the king of them all. When you set up Windows correctly and properly defrag the hard drive (and I dont mean with the Windows defrag or even other typical payware defrag software) FSX runs much better and changes made which upgrade things further typically display results.

>Well, most people will be totally confused reading this whole>thread now. Could someone, who has the definitive answer,>please summarize this topic. Thanks,That was done last week... :-lol http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=438071&page=4:-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>You mean homework like this?>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328882 >>or this?>>http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/.../05/208908.aspx>>Read the article. There is no reason to delegate virtual>address on a system with only 2 gigs of PHYSICAL memory. There>is no payout. That was my recommendation after reading my>'homework'...>>On my 3 gig system, opening up more address space for>application use gave me a huge boost on ground texture>clarity, than what the Kernel had reserved for itself without>the modifier.>OK, So where does that homework say you unlocked a 3rd gig of memory? Your OP is completely incorrect confusing and misleading. Especially when forum members have gone to such great lengths to explain this correctly.Primary RigLiquid CooledIntel C2D E8500 @ 3.8Asus P5N32SLI-Plus2 gigs Corsair XMS PC6400 4 4 4 12 @810Dual OC'd XFX 8800GTX @ 2 gigs24 inch Widescreen LCD 16XAA/16XAFDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1k Quad SLIhttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7900 GTX Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest SkullxBones

I run XP32 and FSX SP1 and I tried the 3 gig switch a while back and also edited the FSX.exe. On my system I got a lot stuttering with it turned on so I had to deleted it.

... I can't believe this thread... Bill L. - don't you just feel like you've wasted your breath on your long and detailed post three weeks ago? I sure do. This topic has been SO done to death on AVSim and the CoolSky forum. Doesn't anybody read? Or search? :-roll

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest shnala

Well, I did just as you (Sesquashtoo) say. I edit manually boot.ini file. That also include visit to hardware store and buy that extra 1G of RAM! Windows recognize it... OK, cool. Plus I did just as Nick say - edit FSX.exe ! Then - some testing, of course..... :) And only jump I'm about to see...... is my own, from my balcony !:-bat (I live on 1st floor, don't look for some spectacle!) So,...did I done anything wrong ? Am I miss something ? My PC spec : AMD 2core 5200+, nVidia 8600 GT, 3G:-badteeth of RAM. regards, shnala ____________________________________ edit: I forgot to say : 1) Now I got multiple (3) boot start options (when turn on my PC, now I must sit and wait to choose on of the 3! boot start options !!! How can I eliminate this !?? 2) I notice (maybe it's just me, though!?) that on every switch between full screen & windowed mode my FSX freeze !? That option used to work just fine every time.... x(

Guest ledzzepplin

Maybe I'm not looking at the right place but all I'm seeing on (C:) is "boot Configuration Settings" file. Is this the one? I've done several searches and still can't find a "boot.ini". Thanks!

>Maybe I'm not looking at the right place but all I'm seeing>on (C:) is "boot Configuration Settings" file. Is this the>one? I've done several searches and still can't find a>"boot.ini". Are you running WinXP or Vista?Only WinXP has a "boot.ini" file...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest ledzzepplin

Hi Bill,XP/SP2 and I can see hidden files and folders but no boot.iniWonder why a search won't even find it?

>>Just so you are aware Mitch, you have now made Windows 3GB>aware but FSX is not.>>There are only 2 ways to get FSX to be aware of and use the>extra memory>>1. Mark the fsx.exe file using software that will allow you to>set the >2GB marker>>2. install Sp2 which has the marker in the fsx.exe file>>>Since you do not like SP2, you must edit fsx.exe manually so>it will use the memory. >>Download CFF Explorer>>http://www.download.com/CFF-Explorer/3000-...4-10431156.html>>>Start CFF Explorer>>Go to: File - Open >>browse and open FSX.exe>>look for " File Header" and in the right pane you will see>"click here". Click it. A box will open. >>Look for "App can handle >2gb addressest" Check it. >>Save and close >>FSX will now use more than 2GB>>>So if I add another 2 gig of memory to my system and do this, FSX should run better??? Is anyone sure?