Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

FSX addon thermals

If I were to load up some of the thermal files into FSX (the addon ones in the library), would they affect powered aircraft? Not that interested in gliders (well, I've tried it I guess), but would like to have realistic thermals affect my cessna as I fly around...kind of like they REALLY do here in Kansas in the spring/summer. I have a PPL and I'm looking for anything that will add to the feel of flying around in the simulator.Dondo

Yes, unless you check "disable turbulence and and thermal effects on aircraft". Be sure to set visualization to "natural" so you can see the buzzards circling in the thermals.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

>If I were to load up some of the thermal files into FSX (the>addon ones in the library)Whoops, sorry. I havn't tried the addon thermals. I think a lot of this has to do with updrafts along mountain ridge lines. Just enabling turbulence and including in weather configuration can provide what is experienced in the summer.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

I am not an expert, Don, but I wonder if those thermals are realistic. I tried some once and also found that they wiped out all autogen below them. FS X already has thermals built in world-wide, and there have been efforts to make them better. There should be an xml file replacement in the Avsim library (thermaldescriptions_11.zip by Markus Paul), and there is also CumulusX by Peter L

If you have installed FSX-SP1 or SP2, I advice you not to use my (Markus Paul) version of thermaldescriptions.xml, as ACES have also seen the flaw in the RTM version of this file and provided in SP1 even more diverse thermals than I did.If you want to use the excellent CumulusX than be ready for much more challenging, more realistic thermal soaring (means less updraft and smaller thermals), but there is until now no landclass dependence in the formation of thermals (i.e. you get thermals over bare rock or desert with the same probability as over forest) and also the turbulence has gone which is a bigger drawback for me.Regards