Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Looking for complex, good quality SLOW flying a/c?

Iam a fan of Tileproxy - and it works best with slower flying a/c. I have been using the default Cessna and Piper Cub.But I am looking for an a/c with a bit more interest/challenge. I firstly thought of gliders- but unfortunately TP does away with thermals. I next thought of helos- but so far I am finding them a bit TOO challenging. Takeoff and flight is OK - but can't seem to get any kind of repeatable landing "system" to work for me- and I suspect it is a bit more that the mantra of "practice, practice, practice" :-) Anway - back to the original question - anybody got any thoughts on thisThanks Barry

RealAir Sf260! Can't beat a sliding canopy for looking at all the scenery!It has retracts, C/S prop, and some of the best flight characteristics in the simming business! Has been my favorite for many years now; and especially for sight seeing. And the new FSX model is even better than the FS2002/2004 versions! Besides, you don't have to fly it awfully fast if you don't want to. :D L.Adamson

Guest JIMJAM

Anything from Realair, Carendo or if you want a larger,slow plane, the BeaverX or TwinOtter from Aerosoft.Of course helis are about as slow as they come.My vote would be the Beaver.Comes with dozens for models. Wheels,floats,skis.......

Guest jshyluk

If you have deluxe FSX, the default Maule Orion is wonderful for sight-seeing. Great cockpit, big, big windows, very versatile.If it's money you want to spend, my vote goes for the Aerosoft BeaverX as well. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Hi blokesThanks for that advice- but I am looking for S-L-O-O-O-W. Although, I guess that if I hang out all the flaps, I could get the Beaver or Maule down to around 75 Knots :-) Barry

My favorite for meandering about is the Aerosoft Dornier Do-27. It's not a "get in and take her up" kind of a/c; I enjoyed the learning curve associated with this product. And having a stall speed of about 40kts is pretty slow when you want it. It's available for FS9 and FSX. But hands down the pick for FS9 would have to be Tim Conrads Fiesler Storch...that thing nearly hovers in a slight headwind...

Guest jshyluk

I suppose you could import the Wright Flyer from FS9... it's hard to get much slower than that. I also recall a FS9 Goodyear Blimp, although the FS system has a lot of trouble realistically producing lighter than air transport.The only other slow stuff that comes to mind is the JustFlight Tiger Moth. I like flying it okay, but to me the cockpit just doesn't look right -- too "rendered". There's also the Taildragger package from RealAir:http://www.avsim.com/pages/0907/Taildragge...aildraggers.htmYou can't possibly go wrong with air aircraft that has RealAir guages in the cockpit, and the whole package won a few awards.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

A really fun freeware plane is the Aircreation 582SL.Search for it in the Avsim library !Fly right down to 50 mph.. :-)

Bert

Guest NoobPilot

Not only that, if you want low, slow, and huge, boost the speed to about 200 and fly a 747... or wait, you want it realistic? I don't have it, but I've heard that the RealAir Taildraggers are nice.

Speaking of which-I know several pilots that have actually flown backwards in a slow craft like a Cub with strong headwinds. Can be scary if you are headed out towards the ocean...I have hit a personal high of 245 knts. in my Baron (tas of 180 at the time)the other way-rare but nice when it happens.Go the other direction and I'd be getting a 172 speed however...Winds can help-one way or the other....http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

You might enjoy my rendition of a modernized Pietenpol Aircamper based on the real plane I helped build many years ago...you can get down to around 30 knots & not stall...the handling is very similar to a Piper Cub, but with an open cockpit! Look for pete.zip here at Avsim :-)

Hate to go off topic but have landed at ksee several times (the loc approach got my attention!) and my parents and residence till I was 16 in La Mesa still..Was just out 3 weeks ago. Took it for granted but would love to live there now...especially since we are getting snow tonight!http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest NoobPilot

Yeah, but they can be pretty bad too. Have you ever tried to land a taildragger (specifically the piper cub) in winds higher than 30kts? as soon as your tail goes down the aircraft just takes off like a leaf.