Sign in to follow this  
Guest Takechan

Lessons/tutorials needed to clear before beginning the PMDG 747-400?

Guest Takechan

HiI bought the PMDG 747 recently, but I haven't started or gone through the type rating courses yet, as I wanted to go through the "beginner" lessons offered by FSX. I'm stuck at the "Instrument Rating Checkride" because it seems buggy, so I made a flight where I went though the things needed myself. So to my question:How many of the lessons do you recommend I go though before I can start playing with the 747-400 (PMDG)? I've gone through VOR, ADF, ILS, procedure turns and holding patterns (FSX lessons).If anyone has recommendations for tutorials or lessons I can use to get ready before I jump out and try the 747-400 would be greatly appreciated :)Thanks!

Guest SkullxBones

I'd just jump in and get your feet wet with the type rating course lessons. You never stop learning how to fly. There will always be one more thing you have to know. The level of detail that they have modeled in to the systems is overwhelming at first, but you'll learn them faster than you think and the challenge is a lot more fun than the default turning the key and pushing the throttle forward. So even if you have mastered IFR, you still have to start from scratch learning all the systems of this complex aircraft and the type rating course and the PMDG forums on this site will answer all your questions.

Guest Takechan

Thanks - I've already printet out the entire manual and the type rating courses. I saw they weren't updated for FSX, but I was told they would work fine with it as well. Thanks for the reply, I think i'll try the first lesson then, and see how far I get.

Guest Nismo35

A little OT, but I'm up to the instrument check ride as well, and have heard it is somewhat difficult. I've been through all the lessons leading up to it and was looking forward to the completing it and moving towards larger planes. What have you encountered in the check ride that's buggy? Just so I have a head's up as I do it. Thanks, Todd

Guest Takechan

An overview of the lesson - check the difficulty ;):http://www.fsxrewards.com/rewards/specific...ent_rating.htmlFind the 2nd post or so from theProf, who wrote a long post on what do to if you want to pass it. You can see that the requirements deviate from the "actual" requirements... It also includes a few comments on what to do in order to avoid the errors in the code that will fail you.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...88213&mode=fullGood luck!I gave up on it and made my own checkride heh.

Guest Nismo35

Take, thanks for those links. Yeah, the difficulty is awesome! So this instrument checkride is a mess it seems, but as since some people have finished it, I have to give it a go as well. Let's see how much patience I can muster for this one. I do want that darn certificate! :-) (smiling for now...)

Guest Takechan

You're welcome. Let me know if you manage to pass it. I got a handle on all the information from the previous chapters (they don't mention the ADF much though), but I lack the precision needed to make the changes in alt etc. Eventually i'll return and try again, but for now I think i'll have some fun with the type rating courses for PMDG 747-400.Oh and another question. In virtual cockpit it's "virtually" impossible to see the attitude display thing because the yoke is in the way. Is there a way to overcome this?

Guest SkullxBones

click on the very top of the yoke post and it will go away.

Guest Takechan

Thanks for the tip! I usually fly in 2D, but I really like that the "camera" moves in 3D (virtual cockpit) so you can see the effects of the forces.