Sign in to follow this  
Guest firehawk44

OOM Error -Out of the Blue

Guest kd001

All of a sudden I've been getting an awful lot of out of memory errors. The weird thing is I've made no changes whatsoever to my computer or FSX - no new programmes installed, no add-ons etc... Until two days ago I didn't get a single OOM. Does anyone know what's going on? Should I reinstall FSX?Thanks

Guest firehawk44

You need to provide more info about your crash. If you recently installed a new video card driver, you might try uninstalling/reinstalling it. Check the Crash to Desktop forum and see if you can find a related problem and maybe a fix. What version of FSX is installed (i.e., FSX or w/SP1 or w/Acceleration or w/SP2)? Check your memory modules too and make sure they are all working. You may have to run the memory diagnostics. Do you have Vista or the XP OS? Do you have all the FSX scenery sliders set to max? If so you might reduce them to the lowest and slowly move them to the right until the OOM goes away. I found just moving the area radius slider (top one) to Medium made most of my OOM's go away (before the 3GB switch was discovered).Ciao,Jim

Guest kd001

As I've said I've made no chanes to my computer in a while - no new video drivers. I am using FSX with SP1 no Acceleration or SP2. I have vista and yes most of the slider are set to max. I know people will now tell me to reduce them but they have always been that way and for the 8 months I've been playing this game I've had no problems so clearly they are not causing the problem.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Every day, however, your computer uses more and more memory, even though you aren't aware of it.Every day, your computer is updated by Microsoft, Sun Microsystems, Adobe Systems, etc., etc., as they update their respective software automatically.How do you know the latest Flash update didn't create a memory leak? The short answer is: you probably don't!Just because you haven't done anything actively to "change your system" it's changing every day behind your back. What worked yesterday, might not work today because your OTHER programs are now using more RAM.Turn your sliders down if you are experiencing FSX OOM errors, just to see if they go away.Cheers,

Guest firehawk44

"I am using FSX with SP1 no Acceleration or SP2."Since you're still using the old version of FSX (SP1), FSX.exe was not updated to reflect FSX can handle memory addresses greater than 2GB. FSX.exe was updated to fix this with Acceleration and SP2. If you haven't already, you can manually do this to SP1 by following the directions at the following site: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89138 or by doing a search on this forum for "OOM" or "out of memory". The issue has been discussed by the experts here frequently. Even if you manually change your FSX.exe and add the 3GB switch (if you haven't already), you will still receive OOM error messages occasionally if you put too much strain on your system. As I stated before, I strongly suggest you lower your FSX sliders. Even the developers have stated most modern systems cannot handle FSX with the sliders maxed out so this is just not my suggestion. Best regards,Jim