Sign in to follow this  
thrakete

Is Baron 58 a bit "twitchy" in pitch??

I am no real life pilot - but have flown many FS a/c , both freeware and payware, large and small.The Baron feels a bit too twitchy in pitch to me - pull the stick back just a little and a bit fast, and the upwards pitch motion responds very fast(too fast?). The Baron is quite a heavy "small" a/c. There is just something about its'flight dynamics (particularly pitch) that I find unsatisfying and not in keeping with other a/c. Shame really, because I do quite like it as an FS a/c. I know that alternate FDEs were developed for the FS2002 and FS2004 Barons. Anybody know of any alternatives for FSx?Barry

Guest SkullxBones

It's easy to fix. Open the Baron's aircraft.cfg with notepad, look for the 'flight_tuning' section about half way down. You will see a couple commands that will change the twitchy-ness. Try changing pitch_stability=1.0 to a larger number that works best with your joystick/yoke and also experiment with elevator_effectiveness=1.0.I use pitch_stability=3.0 and elevator_effectiveness=0.8 for the Baron. Your flight controls might react different so play with the numbers until you get what you want.

AHH! Thanks for that. This is much better - I had already lowered the elevator effectiveness, but it needed your recommended change to the Pitch stability.It is a pleasure to fly now.Barry

HelloAlex metzeger has reworked the flight models of some of the default aircraft to good effect, no baron though probably because of his work on the DF baron.Go here: http://metzgergva.de/

You can also try increasing the "empty_weight_pitch_moi". I increased the pitch, yaw, and roll MOI's by about 50%, and that worked out well for my joystick..Going too low with elevator effectiveness will affect your approach mode and general low speed handling.Regards,Thrakete