Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Bright blue inland rivers??

I am generally quite happy with FSx textures - except of course for the desert all over the place.But does anybody know how to get rid of the bright blue colour of inland rivers. Most inland rivers that I have ever seen anywhere are usually a muddy green/brownBarry

From what I have read so far on the net, I think it may depend on your computer configuration. I get VERY muddy yellow-brown inland rivers and estuaries but then, in the same area up pops a bright blue lake.Regards,Thrakete

Guest PPSFA

There are addons that will fix the problem if you are willing to spend a few bucks.

Ultimate Terrain, X Graphics by HiFi, or FEX can all do this.I have them all, but use FEX for my water and clouds over the others.For new ground textures, there are some pretty good freeware ones in the library here, or you can use Ground Environment X, which I use.

EZ Landclass by Russel Dirks can allow you to change water color of rivers pretty easily. What is done, is the waterclass tiles get changed.That's the first thing I modified in my Panama scenery. Lake Gatun (where the canal crosses) was neon blue. I fixed that right away. It's pretty awful in FSX default.I doubt UTX or GEX will fix ALL areas (probably some areas, but not all) and I know for a fact FEX does not, unless you made a custom scheme and were somehow able to mod out the neon blue tropical water.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

GEX does not change water color at all. UTX will, but has limitations, same with X Graphics. FEX provides the most dramatic available changes, and you could also use different texture sets for different types of water boundaries. You just have to consider blending the two or three when you do it.

Guest RonB49

Assuming that you are using FSX default textues, then what setting do you have on your Water slider? I used 2x settings until recently but I've now changed to High1x. The inland water is more realistic in my opinion at this lower setting. Try it and see.R-

Here is a shot I took last evening on approach to KLUK. Not the best shout in terms of the angle over the water, and it's highlights, it looked much better in 'real life', but as you can see the rivers are very muddy. This is with FEX, and I am using a couple water texture sets together.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187781.jpg

In FS9 the default waterclass for inland water was pretty much the same the world over. FSX has done a better job in assigning brown textured waterclass where appropriate. With a few clicks in SBuilderX you can create a new waterclass file. But you are right, the wave and reflection action in 2.X makes a big difference from 1.X. I guess there are some replacement shaders out there that might have some advantages?scott s..