Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lith1um

Interesting Approaches - Good Website

Guest JoeInCT

Speaking of interesting approaches, have been watching the new season of "Deadliest Catch" on The Discovery Channel and got the idea to fly from St. Paul, which is an island out in the middle of the Bearing Sea, to Dutch Harbor Alaska, which is where they start their fishing season. It is absolutely gorgeous - and tough! The weather is usually very nasty, and if you don't make it in, there is no hope of surviving if you have to ditch in the Bearing Sea. The winds on my flight were 100 degrees at 7, so I used runway 12 which has a GPS-E approach to it. Why not GPS 12 you ask? Because it is not lined up with the runway due to the terain (mountains). You have to fly up the harbor and hook a hard left to make the runway with water and mountains all around. I did it with the CRJ. Very fun.FYI, Saint Paul is PASN and Dutch Harbor is PADU. FYI, there is a great site for airport info. It is AirNav.com. You can get plenty of info about the aiports before you try this flight.