Sign in to follow this  
Mace

PhilT a ? if i may on Nvidia and FSX DX10

I get a temporary black square where a light should be when they first come into view. While this clues me into the presence of AI traffic and where the airport VASI is - it's very annoying and happened on both of my ATI & Nvidia cards after SP2. The landing lights on aircraft also look like a fireball when viewed at a distance, again both ATI/Nvidia and after SP2. I have seen numerous reports by others of these things happening so maybe they should be added to the list.Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 174.74 beta Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest Nick_N

I can tell you what that is all about with the black boxes... its called resource allocation and priority shiftsAfter SP2 they changed how several areas were addressed, autogen for one is batchedThe amount of resources being allocated and priority shifts have changed and therefore you are seeing a bit of a LAG in the light bitmap processing in which appears to have a bit lower priority now. you wont fix that without dialing back on things and to tell you the truth, even then you may still catch a quick flick of itThis all comes down to FSX design from the start being a dog, period.. and what Aces could do to fix the problemPhil came to the party late and was unable to influence the design of FSX. Now that he is in CORE technology I don

Guest RichardL

Microsoft must think that by ignoring the problems in FSX, they will go away. They haven't yet and probably won't.Richard

Guest JIMJAM

I am still hoping for a future console,yep I said the dirty word,XBOX version to come out.I have top of the line stuff and always have and spend more time tweeking than flying.If I could grab a controller and kick back and fly on a large screen TV and not worry about CTDs,stutters,and all the other countless problems, I would LOVE IT.I still want my PC version cause I love inflicting pain to myself and spending thousands on a $50 game.I have stopped chasing the carrot dangling out in front.FSX is what it is to each indivdual.In my case, its a low and slow sight seeing sim.Great for helis,GA planes and easy on the frames basic aircraft.And if you are really into tweeking till you are blue in the face, go grab a copy of Crysis.Its another one of those "programmed for future hardware developement" games. HA

Guest Lith1um

Judging from the fact that the flashing taxiways affect both ATI and Nvidia users, I'm beggining to think this problem belongs to Microsoft after all. Class action lawsuit anyone? It's inexcusable for a major corporation to dump a defective product on us and then go about their merry way like they have absolutely no responsibility to fix it.I'd say returning $10.00 usd to everyone who purchased FSX would be completely fair. DX10 was stated to be a part of FSX from the very beginning. As far as I am concerened it is an integral part, not an included bonus that doesn't have to function properly.Imo the time for FSX users to be happy go lucky is over. It's readily appearant that there is no advocate for the FSX user. Imo it's time for bad press, and if that doesn't work I'm for a class action.Gizmo, it seems like bad press may be the only thing that works because it's been proven that waiting patiently for 6+ months is fruitless. Furthermore, I am unwilling to patiently wait 6 more months for something that show's absolutely no sign of materializing. PM me if you would like to start working on somehow getting this betrayal proper press coverage in the online media.

Guest RichardL

Just speculating here Nick, but I don't believe those who were expecting add-on sales from FSX agree with your assessment.Richard

Lith1um: "Judging from the fact that the flashing taxiways affect both ATI and Nvidia users, I'm beggining to think this problem belongs to Microsoft after all. Class action lawsuit anyone? It's inexcusable for a major corporation to dump a defective product on us and then go about their merry way like they have absolutely no responsibility to fix it."Geez guys, Phil Taylor is good enough to come to these forums and post some information and earnestly tries work with everyone with a "spirit of community" and when you don't like the answers or results, you resort to threats (as idle as they may be) and child-like cajoling. While I agree there are some issues that need to be fixed (there always will be, btw...), it just doesn't seem right to try and resolve them in such a manner. INRE the lawsuit: make sure you don't tell the judge all of the features that work in FSX. Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 174.74 beta Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest Gizmo

>Lith1um:> "Judging from the fact that the flashing taxiways affect>both ATI and Nvidia users, I'm beggining to think this problem>belongs to Microsoft after all. Class action lawsuit anyone?>It's inexcusable for a major corporation to dump a defective>product on us and then go about their merry way like they have>absolutely no responsibility to fix it.">>>>Geez guys, Phil Taylor is good enough to come to these forums>and post some information and earnestly tries work with>everyone with a "spirit of community" and when you don't like>the answers or results, you resort to threats (as idle as they>may be) and child-like cajoling. While I agree there are some>issues that need to be fixed (there always will be, btw...),>it just doesn't seem right to try and resolve them in such a>manner. >>INRE the lawsuit: make sure you don't tell the judge all of>the features that work in FSX.> >>Regards, KendallWell what would you suggest we do? we've tryed the stitting on our thumbs wating for a fix for over 6 months now and thats gotten us jack.....All where asking is who is really responsible for the problem and if its going to be fixed and while i very much appreciate PhilT's replys i find all the bullet dodging on this issue is getting me (and others)more than a little frustrated.....As for your theres always going tobe problems just live with it...IMO that kind of attitude stinks and has gotten FSX where it is today,as does Aces total abandonment of FSX and its bugs but thats a whole other thread and beef....

Guest Gizmo

Hi PhilA quick question if i may I remember reading here a while back that you'ed been incontact with Nvidia about there driver problems/errors under FSX's DX10 mode & im just wondring if you had any update from them on when/if they entend to fix these problems?In the past 6 months there has been zero improvment/fixes in the rendering errors of FSX under DX10 with Nv's driver sets (this includes any of there beta or WHQL drivers ive been through them all)infact things seem to go from bad to worse as the lastest 174.88 driver set not only has all the old rendering errors present it also messes up water rendering when set to anything greater than low x2 (wave layers are rendered in patches so some water area's becomes like glass)If you havent had a reply from there driver dev team is there any chance you could please give them a kick in the pants to get these problems fixed for us? there inability to fix these issue is pretty much rendering all your teams hard work on the DX10 mode usless for most vista based FSX users Im sure yourself and many ppl here will agree 6+ months without a fix for theses problems from a major chip/driver supplier like Nvidia is really getting past a jokeThanks for your time i hope you can give/get us some good news on this issueCheersGizmo

Guest Nick_N

Well, since I do create freeware FX and also design for GEX I am in that loop and I do understand the issues around the changes and how it can affect designers.To me its like that book.. Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. The reality is, Men are from Earth, Women are from Earth; Deal with itLOLFSX is what it is. It

>Well what would you suggest we do? we've tryed the stitting on>our thumbs wating for a fix for over 6 months now and thats>gotten us jack.....>>All where asking is who is really responsible for the problem>and if its going to be fixed and while i very much appreciate>PhilT's replys >i find all the bullet dodging on this issue is getting me (and>others)more than a little frustrated.....>>As for your theres always going tobe problems just live with>it...IMO that kind of attitude stinks and has gotten FSX where>it is today,as does Aces total abandonment of FSX and its bugs>but thats a whole other thread and beef....Hi Gizmo, Do exactly what you've been doing - dialogue. And then accept the results whatever they may be. I agree that these are legitimate issues and I agree that it's frustrating when no one seems to want to act to resolve those issues. What I objected to simply was that we seem to appreciate it when Mr. Taylor or other members of ACES join us in this dialogue and offer what we want to hear. Yet, when they won't, or can't, some of us then resort to "threats" or make demands. That doesn't seem very fair to them IMHO and is kind of back-stabbing, unappreciative behaviour. I would suggest to continue the dialogue on these issues, should you feel reasonably certain it's worthy of your investement of time and effort - maybe even try inviting some Nvidia/ATI people to join us here? I just hope if/when they would decide to post some comments that we would be a little more respectful, epecially if it doesn't result in the desired outcome. :)Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 174.74 beta Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

>However, what I would like to see is proper FS11 SDK>development and release of those FS11 SDK's well before the>product so their partners and 3rd party people can dev for the>title prior to its release, and, be involved with>changes/upgrades to the SDK's as they are designed.Nick, what you "would like to see" is already in process. No more can or will be said beyond that. Keep the faith! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Nick_N

I heard something about that from a little bird but did not get any specific details. LOLI really hope you guys get solid input to the SDK designs. A manual made for devs, by real world dev's is the best way to go.

Guest Lith1um

You're entitled to your opinion, and if the rose colored glasses make the world look great to you, so be it. But I can clearly see that the emperor is not wearing clothes. I appreciate that the FSX dev's have a presence in user forums. I'm greatful for their presence. But I can clearly see that FSX has been abandoned in order to move forward and create FS11. And I don't think it's right for any company to do so, let alone the richest company in the world. Surely they could have devoted some small resource to fixing this issue? One man? Two men?We have been patient for over 6 months. NO sign of participation from ATI/Nvidia on the subject. And if Phil Taylor /ACES/ Microsoft can't get a rise out of them, what chance to you think 6 more months of passive behaviour will have? None imo.ACES have told you point blank, they aren't gonna fix FSX. Well now it looks like the taxiway glitches might be their's afterall. So basicaly we have a partialy defective product, and we are on our own with it.Diplomacy has been proven inneffective. Long live the king.

Guest firehawk44

"That is the only way to get them to act since I cannot feed them a repro and they tell me they cannot repro."Phil Taylor,I suspect you are talking about the reproduction of menu errors and not DX10 rendering at airports, such as Friday's Harbor, where the runway lines stutter/flash while DX10 is enabled? I hope so as I would be surprised if you or NVIDIA techs cannot repro the flashing runways with DX10 enabled. I can't repro the menu crashes some get either and I suspect a bad installation of the video or sound card drivers. I think one of the major problems of getting the DX10 issues brought to the attention of NVIDIA techs is the fact most of the FSX community has not upgraded to Vista and is not using DX10. The relatively few of us who are using FSX w/Vista are stuck with the problem until more XP users move up to Vista (and DX10 compliant video cards) and that could be several years down the road as it looks like the XP users really like the operating system and truly hate Vista. Personally, I believe in working with the latest technology available so I upgraded on day one. I also heard DX10 had a lot of potential and would be great for the gaming community. I wonder if there's a way to issue a SP3 to remove DX10 effects from runways as one of the nice features of DX10 in FSX is the shadowing effect inside cockpits and the performance boost I get when it is enabled. As you know, there is no problems with the runways when DX10 is turned off so this solution should make most of us happy. Thank you in advance.Best regards,Jim Young