Sign in to follow this  
Guest craig198

do we need to tweak fsx config file after sp2?

Guest craig1998

do we need to tweak fsx config file after sp2?how many of you still do and what things are still beneficial.

Yes, for my system I need the Autogen tweek. I got this from MS web site.Add this entry, just below the [TERRAIN] section in FSX.CFGTERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000The figures above are the default and you should set them to a lower amount. Setting to 0 for instance will mean that you see no objects in the simulation. Please note that the maximum setting for each item is 6000 and it is suggested that you use a minimum of 10 to avoid issues within the game. The suggested settings to set initially are: TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=800as well as the bufferpool tweek to 5000000

Jim Wenham

Guest UlfB

Regarding the autogen per cell settings, you could also use the autogen slider in the FSX Display Settings to reduce autogen that way. The per cell settings are most usefull if you want to change the balance between buildings and trees.I haven't noticed much effect in FSX when using the bufferpool tweak. What's your experience? Better frame rate or less blurries?Ulf B

Guest RichardL

I wish I could get the opportunity to tweak SP2!I re-installed SP2 again last night after un-installing it a few months ago.Nothing new to report. FSX crashed again so I un-installed SP2 once again.Richard

I see a small improvement in frame rate but a big difference in the smootheness of the sim. I also use GEX nhanced which also seems to help with the autogen. As for the bufferpool tweek it helps with the stutters in turns and taxi.

Jim Wenham

Guest craig1998

thanks guys. im adjusting mine now. my scenery tiles seem to "move" as Im flying. I guess jitter would be a better term. I will see if bufferpools helps.what about texture bandwidth multi? anybody still mess with that?

Yes, If it's set to 40, try 30 and it might just help with those small stutters. The days of pumping up to like 400 are over. You can read more about it, along with the bufferpools tweak, on Phil's Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...-week-or-2.aspxRegards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 174.74 beta Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest craig1998

ya but those tips are july 2007 and that is before sp2

Adding the below line to the (scenery) section of the cfg can help performance when you have lots of autogen, by culling parts less than the amount of pixels you set the value to.(SCENERY)SmallPartRejectRadius=X try a value of 2 or 4. The larger the value the more likely you are to notice pop up, as objects become larger than the prescribed value.You can still play with the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=X tweak post SP2 by adding the line to the (MAIN) section of the cfg. The default value is equal to 0.33, and lowering it will increase you frame rate, as the expense of less time being devoted to terrain loading. Raising the value may decrease blurries at the expense of frame rate.

"ya but those tips are july 2007 and that is before sp2"I posted the link because it is a good explanation of what those tweaks do and the basis behind them - so you can decide whether or not to implement them. And they are both still very valid and useful with SP2, especially the TBM. Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 174.74 beta Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

>Yes, for my system I need the Autogen tweek. I got this from>MS web site.>Add this entry, just below the [TERRAIN] section in FSX.CFG>>TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500>TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000>I use that, but set the buildings to 1500.....It depends where you fly. I fly smaller areas and with the buildings at 3000 I get a ton of houses, and there's clearly not that many IRL, so I set it to 1500.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Nick_N

SmallPartsRejectRadius is ignored in SP2I would not run any fiber frame tweak unless it was a single core processorAfter SP2 the only tweaks of real value areDisablePreload=1Texture bandwidth multipler (between 40-80 MAX)Bufferpools (between 5000000 and 10000000 depending on the video card memory)Autogen trees and building restrictions 1000/2500- and I would not use those AG lines unless the system is not fast or needs help because its not optimized correctly for performance

DisablePreload=1Bufferpools (between 5000000 and 10000000 depending on the video card memory)Hi,would you be willing to explain these two further?Thanks,J-

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest Nick_N

DisablePreload=1 goes under MAIN in the cfg list. it disables FSX from preloading the default flight when you boot FSX, offloading the memory from that. bufferpools is a header and value added manually to the bottom of the current config list{BUFFERPOOLS} <--- except with SQUARE bracketsPoolsize=XThis is used to smooth turns and visual pan in flight and it also helps smooth flight over large numbers of autogen trees as in forest areas, if you use a high AG slider value.The X amount is in megabytes. Recommended settings would be based on if you are seeing stutters in turns or visual pan, and, how large the video card memory.the default value is 4000000 (4MB)For a 256mb video card I would be cautious with this because FSX wants 512MB so if you intend to use the tweak with a 256MB card, I would not exceed 5000000.For a 512MB card, again caution should be used and a max of between 8000000-10000000. (8MB to 10MB)With a 640MB card this value can typically be increased to between 10000000 - 25000000 (10MB to 25MB) without issue and a 768MB card, 10000000 - 100000000 (10MB to 100MB)

Guest craig198

thanks NickN. man your a busy man on the computer! your such a big help too! Ive decided to put my original fsx.cfg in place. much better performance now than with tweaks. as you can see I have a pretty high end system(not that highend)so sp2 probally was built and tweaked for a system around my power i would imagine.that gexn should really improve the stutters as well right?