Sign in to follow this  
Guest craig198

do we need to tweak fsx config file after sp2?

Guest UlfB

Nick,I tried set the bufferpools to 40000000, but this resulted in stutters. So now I've removed the tweak and have a fluent FSX with no stutters. I'll guess the tweaks are very dependant on what display settings you have in FSX, graphic card settings and hardware. I'll guess that the best general advice is to not tweak the fsc.cfg at all.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest craig1998

im with you ulfb on leaving the fsx.cfg alone. just makes it worse for me too. to Nickn...why would you want to disable preload?? I find that it makes the load faster if for any reason you leave it on the freeflight screen and walk away for a bit for some reason its nice to have fsx in the backround loading away!

Why to disable preload, because it loads the scenery for the default flight, and if you have to fly somewhere else it has to reload all that that scenery again, so unless you fly the defaultr flight all the time, its just wasting time.

Guest Nick_N

>Nick,>>I tried set the bufferpools to 40000000, but this resulted in>stutters. So now I've removed the tweak and have a fluent FSX>with no stutters. I'll guess the tweaks are very dependant on>what display settings you have in FSX, graphic card settings>and hardware. I'll guess that the best general advice is to>not tweak the fsc.cfg at all.This is the kind of thing that drives Bill Leaming and I crazyOne questionIF IT DID NOT STUTTER WITHOUT THE TWEAK WHY PUT IT IN THE CONFIG??What exaclty did you expect to see??? Frames jump 50%??LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What did I say?------> Recommended settings would be based on if you are seeing stutters in turns or visual panwhich means if you are NOT... DONT USE ITMy system demands with the FSX settings I run dictate reserved memory for bufferpools, yours apparently doesn'tMost people dont need to tweak the config after Sp2... those humping settings and realling pushing things like myself, do. And the tweaks i make i do for a specific reason. I know what to look for and how to trim things in.There are not many people out there running DDR3 2000 so I can get away with running a texture bandwidth multiplier of 80 and a buffferpool setting of 100000000and to answer the question about preload, mjrhealth is correct.. its redundant bull and unnecessary unless all you boot is the default flight.. it DOES NOT make FSX boot fasterAnd to answer the question about GEXn... YES the reorganized AG will offload the system and allow much smoother flight:)

Guest craig1998

I like the preload as well for my reason mentioned earlier. even if I go for default flight less than half the time its still worth it to me to load faster half the time. and it does load faster as compared to no preload at all. otherwise its a bogus setting to begin with. mine will jump to like 75% load if it sits at the main screen for a while then I decide to launch default flight.

Guest UlfB

>>This is the kind of thing that drives Bill Leaming and I>crazy>>One question>>IF IT DID NOT STUTTER WITHOUT THE TWEAK WHY PUT IT IN THE>CONFIG??>>What exaclty did you expect to see??? Frames jump 50%??>>>LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>What did I say?>>------> Recommended settings would be based on if you are>seeing stutters in turns or visual pan>Bill and Nick,I'm sorry if my post offended you in any way.I'm running FS with display settings that give me a nice flight. Usually I don't tweak FSX, but when I read your post I got curious and tested to see how FSX would respond on a change of the bufferpools setting. I didn't expect anything, but since I got stutters in FSX I thought that I should post on this and share my view to not tweak the config file. Maybe there are other simmers that have set the bufferpools and have problems with stutters. Removeing the bufferpool tweak might help them.I'll never respond on a post from you or Bill again, that's a promise!Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest craig198

ulfb you will do no such thing. I appreciate your feedback. no one has asked you to stand in the corner lolyou have to understand nick is a busy man and helps alot of people like you and me. he probably gets asked the same things quite often. this gets frustrating I know.

Guest UlfB

OK and thanks craig198 and Nick!Ulf B Core2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest craig198

no problem just try to put yourself in someone elses shoes is what I always say and do.I think what Ulfb and me were trying to do is get a decent performance better. lets face it, vanilla SP2 isnt quite perfect. Its alot better but not perfect by any means. I always wonder, will this tweak make it any smoother or better looking for me? then I change it and go oops thats crap lol.Nick I know how you feel man. sometimes you just need a break from it all right?Its mind boggling all the stuff you know and all the people you help. Great Job!