Sign in to follow this  
kparrish1

Help pls FPS 4

When at KORD or KLAX fps drops to 4.I have tried the various tweaks etc, but nothing much has helped so far.System info------------------System Information------------------Time of this report: 4/21/2008, 09:21:08 Machine name: XXXX Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254) Language: English (Regional Setting: English)System Manufacturer: System manufacturer System Model: System Product Name BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs) Memory: 3070MB RAM Page File: 745MB used, 4210MB available Windows Dir: C:WINDOWS DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT Manufacturer: NVIDIA Chip type: GeForce 8500 GT DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC Device Key: EnumPCIVEN_10DE&DEV_0421&SUBSYS_82451043&REV_A1 Display Memory: 512.0 MB Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz) Monitor Max Res: 1680,1050

Guest fsxmissionguy

And that's likely what your problem is - your video card company.For example, here's a search of the nVidia Knowledgebase where FSX is concerned:* no hitsThat's right, no hits. None. On FSX. Why?Perhaps it's because nVidia has outsourced its "customer experience management" to a third party [www.rightnow.com] which promises to "dramatically reduce [nVidia's] costs."Translation: nVidia has been shielded from you - their customer. On the plus side, nVidia is enjoying huge savings.So, you're hosed dude. You went with an nVidia 8x card. Big mistake.So, unfortunately, you're left with two choices:* stay away from these two airports* downgrade to DX9c-compatible video cardSorry to be the bearer of the news. Please don't kill the messenger!

All is not necessarily lost. I've got an nVidia 8x card (the 512MB 8800GTS) and I get great frame rates (always over 15fps, usually over 20fps), at KBOS at least, haven't tried KLAX or KORD yet.My CPU is a Q6600 G0 overclocked to 3.2GHz, but even before overclocking it was pretty smooth at 2.4.What settings are you using? I think the trick is just not to expect good results with all sliders way over to the right. As Phil says in his blog, autogen is the real killer. I'm OK with dense, but have to turn it down to normal when flying the PDMG 747 for example. Even at that FSX looks fantastic. (Of course my spectacles may be slightly rose-tinted as until last week I was using an old single-core P4.)Colin

I have been adjusting my settings, moved all sliders right back to min, still only getting 7fps max. Tried all the tweaks too.It sucks, I am using the PMDG 747 all the time only plane I fly. I tried turning autogen off too, didnt help much though. I really dont want to have to buy any more hardware, its getting to be a real pain the butt having FSX.

>And that's likely what your problem is - your video card>company.>>For example, here's a search of the nVidia Knowledgebase where>FSX is concerned:>>* no hits>>That's right, no hits. None. On FSX. Why?>>Perhaps it's because nVidia has outsourced its "customer>experience management" to a third party [www.rightnow.com]>which promises to "dramatically reduce [nVidia's] costs.">>Translation: nVidia has been shielded from you - their>customer. On the plus side, nVidia is enjoying huge savings.>>So, you're hosed dude. You went with an nVidia 8x card. Big>mistake.>>So, unfortunately, you're left with two choices:>>* stay away from these two airportsI have to use major airports flying the 747 to make it realistic>* downgrade to DX9c-compatible video card>>Sorry to be the bearer of the news. Please don't kill the>messenger!>Many thanks for the info

so what card should I install?? I cannot buy two and make SLI it will cost too much, how about one good card??Please let me knowrgsdpaul

>The other problem could be my memory management, I have 4GB>ram installed also 2x512 8500GT's>>XP only reads 3 gb with the switch in the config right ?????>>Perhaps I should remove 2 gigs of mem and retry????No, that is not correct, but I'm not going to beat that particular drum here.I'd remove one of the video cards before doing anything else.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Ok ty will try that :-) I suppose I should have stated "why" this may be beneficial to you. You see, there's little to be gained by having both installed, and a whopping 512MB of virtual address space being set aside for each card, half of which is wasted...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So lets consider how good this GPU is, using the info I posted athttp://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2008...d-consumer.aspxand referenced in this thread:vs 8800 GTstream processors 16/112 = 14.28%core clock 400/600 = 66.67%shader clock = 900/1500 = 60%memory clock = 400/900 = 44.4%memory amount is finememory interface is 50% the widthmemory bandwidth = 12.8/57.6 = 22.22%texture fillrate = 3.6/33.6 = 10.71%so the weakest link of the 8500 is less than 11% the perf of the 8800 GT which is already not the top of the line ( that is the 8800 Ultra ). and memory bandwidth is 22%.So now think about what I posted here:http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2008...e-envelope.aspxand how memory and bus bandwidth intensive FSX is. did you try setting your autogen cell max down to 500 yet?PS: This is my 1000th post!