Sign in to follow this  
Guest BarryNC

Setting up Vista for FSX

Guest ChrisE

My new computer is arriving in the next couple of days with Vista SP1 preinstalled & one of my first priorities is to get FSX installed but I don't want to be disappointed.I have found plenty of help with the settings for FSX but I am looking for a guide that will tell me how to set up Vista to get the best FSX performance. I have searched but I can't find what I am looking for - a one piece guide.Is there a "guide" here or elsewhere that takes me simply through as much as possible of what I need to do to make Vista as FSX friendly as possible?

Here are the general recommendations for VistaDisable the following:1. Completely shut down the Defender Program/Service2. Completely disable UAC3. Completely disable Aero4. Completely shut down the Indexing Service5. Completely shut down System Restore6. Completely shut down Automatic updates but only the GUI automatic update setting, not the service and manually go (browse) to Windows Update once a month.7. If you must have anti-virus software running it is recommended by many to use nothing other than Eset NOD32. This recommendation comes from many fellow simmers as well as developers.

5. Completely shut down System RestoreBe careful of this one. System Restore can get you out of a lot of jams if things go bad. If you disable it you will most likely be looking, at a complete OS reinstall if something happens! SR has bailed me out a number of times, I wouldn't be without it. IMHO the potential risk outweighs the slight improvement in Performance. It's up to you though if you feel the risk is warranted in your case!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest JimC1702

Probably if you shut down UAC, it won't matter, but if you want to run UAC, install FSX outside of your Program Files folder. It will make your life much easier.JimDell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 ghz3 gb dual channel 800 mhz DDR2 RAM512 mb nvidia 8800GT500 gb SATA drive 7200 rpmSoundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music22" Acer widescreen LCDWindows Vista Home Premium

Guest fsxmissionguy

May I just say that if you're going to shut off every advanced feature of the Vista OS in order to use it, that it's probably not the OS you want to use on your FSX box.Why not use XP?If you're thinking of purchasing Vista for its advanced DX10 features, you may wish to reconsider and read up on how DX10 was implemented in FSX.I'm assuming that you use your new computer for things other than playing video games and simulations. In which case, you probably shouldn't be shutting down some of these services.The anti-virus software issue is something you really, really need to think smartly about.In today's computing environment, you really need very good anti-virus software on any workstation connected to the internet. Almost any good anti-virus software product will allow you to tell it not to scan FSX directories, while at the same time protecting you from the malicious hacker who wants your bank account login information.Good luck,

Guest ChrisE

I hear whay you say about virus checkers etc but I would like to be able to get rid of the "glitz" & other bits if it will help performance.I am aware of Alacrity PC but I don't think that it will shut down Aero etc - or will it?Assuming that it will not is there a utility that will shut the "glitz etc" down until I next reboot the machine so that they are there when I am not flying

>3. Completely disable AeroIs it actually necessary to do this? I find that FSX switches from Aero to Basic as soon as it starts anyway. Are bits of Aero still around even when it does this?Maybe I'll try disabling it and see if it makes any difference.Colin

Guest S1mPilot

Aero does indeed disable itself when FSX starts.Personaly I would turn off UAC.Create two new folders, c:Games and c:Apps. Install everthing there.Turn off indexing for those two folders. By default Vista protects the "program files" folders. I don't have time to post a full response, so please take a moment to read my brief replies in the ARCA sim racing forums. Vista has a few nasty tricks up it's sleeves when it comes to those protected folders, even for users with admin rights.http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=315612