Sign in to follow this  
N4865G

AutogenDescriptions.spb Help

Guest stevehow

HiDoesn't matter which server i try,i just can't find one that i can download this file from.i'm trying to find the file that cuts down the tree Types,i'm sure i had it for fs2004.can't find it tho.i tried Matts server www.Fox-Fam.com but that is not woking(for me)says can't find server.I use Mozilla. any help appreciated steve

Guest Nick_N

Are you running SP2?If so, DONT use that file. With SP1/SP2 autogen and how it is called was changed, moreso in SP2. That edited file was produced for RTM, well before SP1 ever hit the servers

Guest stevehow

Hi NickThanks..i already decided to forego that fix and wait until Gexen Europe comes out and Gain more FPS that way. cheers Nick steve:-)

>>Are you running SP2?>>If so, DONT use that file. >>With SP1/SP2 autogen and how it is called was changed, moreso>in SP2. That edited file was produced for RTM, well before SP1>ever hit the servers..Hi Nick:Although I try to keep up to date here and elsewhere on as many FS matters as possible, I have not yet seen a comprehensive update since RTM or at best SP1 regarding Autogen tweaking applicable to each FSX version.Could you please share your informed opinion on the respective pros and cons for FSX RTM, SP1 and SP2 regarding these Autogen-related tweaks for better performance:1.) Editing (vs. not editing!) the AutogenDefault.xml file2.) Disabling (via "*.BAK" file extension rename) the AutogenDefault.xml file3.) Editing (vs. not editing!) the AutogenAutogenDescriptions.spb file4.) Adding (vs. not adding!) to FSX.CFG file this subsection (if not already existing):{Terrain} <-- Subsection delimeters are "square" brackets in FSX.CFG fileTERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500 TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000; RTM Range: Min. 10 - Max. 6000 (for either of above); SP1 Range: ?; SP2 Range: ?..And... do you know perhaps what the Autogen "issues" might be regarding parameters for the above TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_... tweaks as referred to in this statement:"it is suggested that you use a minimum of 10 to avoid issues within the game" ...as posted at:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...43323&mode=full..Also, what setting should be considered for the FSX autogen slider in relation to the above tweaks (if they are used)?..Thanks very much for any detailed clarification you might offer us on these options! :-) GaryGB

Guest Nick_N

I have never run with any edited or disabled AG files. I do not believe in changing default files in that manor. I tried all the tweaks back in October of 06 including the texture reduction hacks and found FSX ran and looked terrible. I found much better results when I simply balanced the sim/system with default files installed. Later, correctly made addons provided the proper relief.The method I used for sim/system tweaking was different from RTM/SP1 and Sp2. The autogen line min-max have remained the same since RTM as far as I am ware. 6000 max and from what one of the dev's posted, they should never be run at zero if used although I have seen people post they set them to zero without issue. Its like anything else, try and see what works best.I do not use the lines... one of the advantages to DDR3 bandwidth and clocking as such.If I were going to use the AG lines I would follow the principle of an estimated FS9 to FSX conversion for render which would beFS9 = 600 trees 400 buildings per cell which is what I would use for a really slow and low memory system.For most average slower systems I would probably start by setting the lines to 1200 trees, 800 buildings, 2400 trees, 1800 buildings for a medium duty system and leave them completely out for a high end system. In all cases I would probably run the AG slider at either DENSE or VERY DENSE for testing and calibrating.

Gents,Apologize for 'stealing' this thread, but given autogendesriptions are no longer needed to be changed how one can get rid of the powerline masts slicing through the scenery?ThanksDom

Guest Nick_N

Not exactly sure what you mean.

Hi Dom,open the terrain.cfg file, in the FSX main directory, with Wordpad or Notepad and search for "utility". Change this block of lines from // Misc vector types - utility[Texture.201]Name=Utility_1Color=FFC0C0C0guid={C942AADB-C351-4088-925E-A732C2093B63}LegacyId=1211Textures=utilitymask.bmpLayout=3_PLUS_1StripWidthMeters=40Size=4LandClassRemapType=utilityVectorAutogen={12F31285-6183-284D-AE9E-E0D27715E792} (utility lines)ExcludeAutogen=YesRenderToTexture=NoRenderPriority=40000Water=Noto // Misc vector types - utility[Texture.201]Name=Utility_1Color=FFC0C0C0guid={C942AADB-C351-4088-925E-A732C2093B63}LegacyId=1211//Textures=utilitymask.bmpLayout=3_PLUS_1StripWidthMeters=40Size=4//LandClassRemapType=utilityLandClassRemapType=noneVectorAutogen={12F31285-6183-284D-AE9E-E0D27715E792} (utility lines)ExcludeAutogen=YesRenderToTexture=NoRenderPriority=40000Water=NoSave and re-start the sim.Obviously, make a backup copy of the cfg file first in case you don't like the changes.Cheers, Holger

Great!Thanks for your help,CheersDom