Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

Annoying light problem

Guest rich1241

Hi,I should say first of all that my light bloom settings are turned off. Also, this problem only occurs on the aircraft and ai planes themselves, no problems at all with taxi/runway lights.The problem that I am having occurs with ai aircraft (i use woai) and all of my other aircraft files (both default & overland boening and airbus range).Basically, the lights of the ai aircraft and whatever aircraft i am flying with appear to have a strange effect - as a picture can explain much more easily i have added some screenshots so you can understand what i mean.My PC Specs are:FSX with SP1 & SP2 (not acceleration)AMD 64X2 6400 Black edition3.21 GHz2.00gb of ramNvidia 8800gtx783gb of free space on c:/Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks,Richard.PS - Could it have something to do with the effects folder??

ACES has increased the "size" of the effect's emitter, that's all. Everyone sees the same thing... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Nick_N

>ACES has increased the "size" of the effect's emitterWhyLOL~!

Guest rich1241

Can I ask, what is aces?Can anything else be done about the problem?Cheers,Richard.

>Can I ask, what is aces?>>Can anything else be done about the problem?>>Cheers,>Richard.Uh, can anything else be done about the ACES problem?:-eek OK, OK, OK, just kidding... trying to interject a little humor into the AVSIM FSX forum! :-bigangel :-xxrotflmao :-outta :-bluegrab

>>ACES has increased the "size" of the effect's emitter>>>WhyBecause they were considered "too small" and "unrealistic." Light from landing/taxi lights has a lot of "bloom" in real life.It's simple enough to modify the .fx files. Simply open the one you want to modify in notepad.exe and have fun!For example, fx_landing.fx has four Emitter/Particle systems. In each of the {Particle.n} sections, there are scalars for the Emitter. In {Particle.0} note that the scalars are 1.00 and in subsequent sections they are 0.75, 0.70 and 0.50 respectively. Reduce the scalar values, reload FSX and test. Repeat until you're satisfied.As always, make a backup copy before you begin, so you can restore the original if you screw it up too badly... ;){Particle.0}Lifetime=0.00, 0.00Type=19X Scale=1.00,1.00Y Scale=1.00,1.00

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Nick_N

I have to disagree on this one Bill, I think they screwed upThey should have INCREASED the FX file themselves instead of taking the quick and easy route of making everything too big and too exaggerated.. because of how they did this, if you make the light the right size close up, in the distance its WAY too big and if you make it smaller so the distance is better, its too small up close and does not provide a good impact.They should have left it alone. It was one of the major reasons I had to go back to the 20 and punt on my lights which were perfect size before Sp2.if they are going to mess with things like this, they should include a method of adjustment.. just like BLOOM needs a slider.. in SP2 it produces a ridiculous scale. It was too big before SP2 and they made it bigger and I assume it may be tied to the same change they made with the scale of the light emitterSeems to me eveything was screwed up with that change... the overheads, the panel lights the airport lights, bloom.. if i could find the settings and change it back to SP1 values, I would in an instant.

Guest rich1241

Sorry, so is the way to fix this problem to do a kind of 'trial and error' that bill described??I am not very 'up' on editing .fx and so on, so want to make sure i am doing the right thing???Thanks,Richard.

Guest Nick_N

It required I change both the FX file and the texture to make it work, and, add the FX file to the plane manually locating it too. Any other way did nothing in allowing me control of the scale and they still look too big in the distance during the dayI ended up having to create 2 scaled FX files and assign them manually to the aircraftAnother major gripe I have is lights are brigher and produce a larger halo during the day than they do at night. As Bill pointed out you can back up the file fx_landing and then open it in notepad and try and rework the scales to see if you can get it where you like it. The texture they use for the light looks more like a dot than a light beam though and the smaller you make it the worse it tends to look.The files and texture I made for the lamp effect at night are a bit dim but I had to make it dim because during the day it can be seen for miles and the halo around them are twice a large on some planes during the dayhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188009.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188010.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188011.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188013.jpg

Bummer. Doesn't sound promising if Nick can't get it fixed, with all of the different effects he's created and modified. Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 174.74 beta Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest Nick_N

I actually did manage to fix it for the most part but it required a texture upgrade and FX file re-writes, and, adding FSX files and their references in the aircraft.cfg fileall that because someone got a bright idea and turned up the brightness on the emitter!LOL

Hi Nick, can you fill us in on the nitty-gritty. :-hmmm Roger on the "bright" ideas. ;-)Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 174.74 beta Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest Nick_N

Nitty-gritty?As I said, I had to completely redesign halo.bmp, update fx_2.bmp and add another texture, then completely reconfigure fx_landing.fx and write another file I named fx_landing2.fx to accommodate the larger/smaller aircraft light scales and then address every single aircraft in my install to use the new/edited files in their LIGHTS sectionsEvery stinking plane I download now must be edited to use them correctly but it does work and is a far cry from default