Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

Out of Memory Error Vista Home Premium..

Hi,Well I did it. :) I just finished installing FSX on a new computer. It is Quad 2.66 with 4 gig of memory and an 8800GT with 512mb. I have FSX (w/acceleration),GEX, FEX and UTX installed with sliders about midway. Everything has been smooth and actually surprised how smooth everything went. I also have Radar Contact, FSCommander and FSmoving map running on a client PC via wideserver. (not much going on:)). The error occurred on a flight with the F1 Pilatus just after takeoff.I have searched here and cannot figure out if the 3gb switch is valid for Vista32. Is there a link to a definitive discussion of the error for Vista 32 users with 3 or more gigs of memory. Is there a software solution or should I turn down sliders? I have looked over the MS sites and can't figure out what is applicable to Vista SP1. I'm looking for the cliff notes on a solution for the error. lol. Could it be a duplicate bgl? If so, is there duplicate checker similar to the one for FS9? Thanks in advance.Bob..

Well, Nick N. kindly provided a direct link to an answer, but...How hard did you look? Searching with "OOM" yields severn dozen discussions, just in the past two months, with 3393 total... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Nick and Bill:I have added links to each of your respective guides for implementing the "/3GB" Switch in my own tutorial thread (oriented a bit more to newbies with a purposely very detailed step-by-step method) here:http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?...=435116#p435116..I'd welcome constructive feedback and recommendations there to make it more of a help to those quite new to these more complex topics. :-sun1 ..Thanks very much to both of you for all your efforts bringing us such "insider" kind of FS info as you so often do! :-)With admiration and appreciation,GaryGB

>Well, Nick N. kindly provided a direct link to an answer,>but...>>How hard did you look? Searching with "OOM" yields severn>dozen discussions, just in the past two months, with 3393>total... ;)I did search Bill and did not find a definite answer to my question. The references I read discussed WinXP and the 3GB. I wasn't sure if it would work with Visat32 SP1. But to be honest, why do you care? The "kindly" remark apparently doesn't apply to you.

>I did search Bill and did not find a definite answer to my>question. The references I read discussed WinXP and the 3GB. I>wasn't sure if it would work with Visat32 SP1. >>But to be honest, why do you care? The "kindly" remark>apparently doesn't apply to you.Well, if being kind "doesn't apply to (me)" why do you suppose I invested over fifteen hours researching this issue and writing about it, and posting the results here and a few dozen other websites? Or creating several Wiki pages devoted to this specific issue?I care because obviously the information others and I have frequently posted here (and elsewhere) aren't being well indexed, if folks cannot find it using the Search tool.Or, is it a case of too much information being available? That is a possibility that comes to mind.In the 7th paragraph of this monograph I wrote:"What the 3GB "tweak" accomplishes in both WinXP and Vista32 is that you essentially increase the size of the VAS table available to ALL running programs for which the "flag" for "LARGEADDRESSAWARE" has been set. The FSX.exe for both RTM, SP1 must be manually made "LARGEADDRESSAWARE", where the SP2 FSX.exe has already been marked as "LARGEADDRESSAWARE.""http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...38071&mode=fullYou might just want to take a bit more into consideration before making hasty generalizations about the lack of another's "kindness."

Fr. Bill    

Guest lingfors

Unless you have a Vista OEM licence, you can order Vista 64-bit discs. That's really the only way to take advantage of all that memory.

Bill,I appreciate you contribution to our hobby and I apologize if I took your comment the wrong way. I took it as an unnecessary condescending remark.

Guest Nick_N

Looks good Garythe name of the game is KISSKeep it Sweet and SimpleThings like page file optimizing are really worthless with a game system and 2GB (or more) of system memory. Page file optimizing is useless to just about everyone but network servers which will use the page all the time.It should remain as one file on the Windows partition and never be moved however I would advise it be set to a constant size by first removing it completely, reboot and ensure the file is deleted, then set it to a constant size of 3072-3072 and place it on the Windows drive. Once done it rarely needs any kind change or service and defrag solutions such as O&O will take care of the file with a regular monthly offline defrag.As for the cache edit.. the value of 2560 is not set in stone. That is a starting point however some systems may need that number trimmed down if OOM's continue, such as very high memory video cards (1GB). If trimmed, the user should work in block reductions of 64 till the OOM clears.

>Bill,>>I appreciate you contribution to our hobby and I apologize if>I took your comment the wrong way. I took it as an unnecessary>condescending remark.Bob, no harm done! I invest a lot of time into visiting a lot of places every day, so sometimes my replies/suggestions/comments are a bit too terse. For that, I apologize. I'll try to be a bit more expansive in the future, as you're certainly not the first person to have mistaken the intent of my posts... *:-*

Fr. Bill    

Guest Nick_N

>>I invest a lot of time into visiting a lot of places every>day, so sometimes my replies/suggestions/comments are a bit>too terse. >>For that, I apologize. I'll try to be a bit more expansive in>the future, as you're certainly not the first person to have>mistaken the intent of my posts... *:-* Who are you trying to kid?Your just a mean grumpy old man like me who is tired of answering the same question over and over againLOL!!!!!just kidding