Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adrian Wainer

I just got offered a sim job!!!

Guest jasonlg3d

I've never really posted much here but I lurk around an awful lot and enjoy reading all the interesting opinons. But today I'm to excited not to tell someone who can appreciate my news.I just recieved a call today after an interview with FlightSafety International They offered me a job as a Design Engineer I at their simulation headquarters in Broken Arrow, OK. I would be working with the aircraft systems group writing software to simulate all the different systems on any given aircraft they might be developing a full motion FAA certified sim for. I got to climb in on of the sims in development. Unfortunately none of them were in the final stages so it was not very functional yet but it was still very cool to climb into a real cockpit and punch around on buttons and what not. They said that when they near completion they are tested right there at the plant by the engineers to verify proper operation! Sweet!In the past they have done an A/C as large as the 777. The sim I got to look at was for a Cessna Citation Mustang, which by the way, is incredibly small for someone who is 6'5". Anyways I was wondering if anyone here happened to work for them or somewhere similar that might be able to advise me on if I should take the job or not.The moral of the story is:All those years of FSing (since 89) along with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering can really turn into what could be a pretty cool career.http://www.flightsafety.comthere website is a little lame considering all the cool stuff they could show there, maybe its a competitiion thing, I dont know.

Guest TMMT

Congrats!!!!!!!Sounds like an awesome job!

Guest christianholmes

sweet, sweet job. Can I ask what platform and language you will be working on? I would guess unix/linux and C but have never found an answer.

Guest jasonlg3d

Believe it or not, they acutally run on Windows, at least the parts that I have gotten to see. If I take the job I wont actually start till the end of May, so granted I dont know a whole lot about all that goes into one of these. Most of the avionics and systems simulation is programmed in a combination of FORTRAN and C++. The actual visual system is not developed at the plant I visited so I cant say what it runs on or what it is programed in, although my guess would be Windows and C++.By the way, if you guys wanna go together and buy a 777 sim, they only run about $21,000,000. :)

Take the job. I'am in on the sim.JimCYWG

Guest 247

may i ask how did you get into this line of work, like in devolping aircraft becasue i would love to do that, and i think 21 million for a t7 sim is almot reasonable :(

Guest jasonlg3d

The best way to get into A/C development in my opinion is to go get an B.S. in engineering from a respected ABET accredited University. I started back to school at 24 to get my Electrical/Computer Engineering degree from Oklahoma State University. It's been a long four years but it is really starting to payoff as I've already had two job offers in the aviation and defense industries and I dont graduate until May! I can't speak for other countries but I know here in the U.S. we need to graduate more engineers. There are too many retiring and not enough new ones to replace them.So to anyone who is interested in aviation/defense I would highly encourage you to get a(n): Electrical, Mechanical or Aerospace engineering degree. It will not be an easy degree but it is well worth the effort in the end.If anybody has any questions I'd love to answer them as best I can. I really want to see more people go into engineering, young and old.

Guest jasonlg3d

Just an update.I took the job and start May 21st!What a relief to be nearly done with school! I haven't slept in 4 years :)

Guest Adrian Wainer

Congrats and Wishing you every success!Best and Warm RegardsAdrian Wainer

Guest Adrian Wainer

re your commentQuotethere website is a little lame considering all the cool stuff they could show there, maybe its a competitiion thing, I dont know.UnQuoteOne presumes their marketing people know their stuff and their site might be deliberately restrained and low key specifically to attract the sort of people who would purchase the company's services. Best and Warm RegardsAdrian Wainer