Sign in to follow this  
BoeingGuy

Weird Screen Flickering

Hi,It's been bothering me since I first built this rig. Sometimes when I've been flying for an hour or so, I'll switch views or else click buttons in either of the panel views, then the game freezes, stops responding, the screen goes blank, then comes back. Then when I exit the game, I'm told that an NVIDIA display driver went haywire. I tried out the new 174.74 beta's but that didn't help.Any solutions?Thanks,

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

The only advice I can give you is to try every Nvidia card driver you can get your hands on. When you find one thats stable on your system that gives good performance stick with it.Just cause a ceratin release driver works good on one system doesn't mean it will work good on all. This has been very apparent with the Nvidia drivers.I also expreienced the same problems you are describing with the 174.74s. Currently I'm using the 174.51s thus far I haven't had any freezes or crashes just some flickering here and there.

Guest Shep

Boeing Guy, if you mean the "Display driver has stopped responding" error message, where the screen goes black, then me and a few thousand other users get that. I have tried all the Nvidia drivers, including the 174.44's but find best results with the 169.25. (Vista HP 64-BIT) Google "Display driver has stopped responding" - http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=na...pped+respondingAll Nvidia GPU's can suffer from the problem and if you read the link below, even some ATI cards can also. The fault can happen shortly after FSX loads or a few hours after running FSX with no particular pattern. I sent a fault report to Nvidia but as I can't replicate the fault it could take some sorting. Fault exists in DX9 / DX10, full and window mode but so far the fault only happens on my Vista system...Win XP Pro is clear of the fault.http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=319340...#55543; Ray _____________________________E6850: P5N32-E SLI Plus: EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB KO ACS3: 4Gb Corsair PC6400:WD Raptors: Toughpower 850W:Vista HP 64-BIT:

Guest firehawk44

"if you mean the "Display driver has stopped responding" error message, where the screen goes black, then me and a few thousand other users get that."You're probably right about the "few thousand".... lol I had that problem too but I fixed my problem by simply reinstalling the NVIDIA 174.74 drivers again (w/o uninstalling, just rerun setup). I haven't received the error since then and it has been over a month. As I recall, I also turned down the Level of Detail Radius slider from high to medium. I think the scenery sliders are the key.Ciao,Jim

Guest Shep

"I think the scenery sliders are the key"A coincidence you say that Jim but since altering the AI level the other day and my LOD Radius returned to the default of LOD_RADIUS=4.500000, touch wood, a couple of days without the error message. I normally run at 6.500000 but forgot to change it back after altering the AI sliders. I have given up trying new drivers for the time being as I had the fault with everyone I tried, so just hope it was something to do with the LOD setting...at least I would know what the possible cause was.Ray

I noticed that mine went to 4.500000 too. I'll put it back to 6.500000 and see what happens. I've been quite a few days without this error now, if this was the cause, we'll soon find out.My AI is set pretty high, too. 80% airliners, 60% GA, 40% cars, ships, and leisure boats. Airport vehicles maximum. My system handles them like a charm, I still get 20+ FPS in places like New York JFK. But I don't think this is the cause.In the meantime, thanks for all the other replies.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Well I raised it to 6.5. I only got one error of the hour or more I played that was more or less the frequency of 4.5. Thanks for the ideas.It's not really bothering me unless I'm in a mission and it freezes and when it recovers I find out I crashed. I'm only trying to figure out what causes it and if it can be fixed.Thanks again,

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

Guest Shep

My Vista 64-BIT HP system received an update/upgrade from Microsoft on the 28th May and since then my FSX sim has performed flawlessly. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed but with every driver I tried (175.16 installed now) I had the error that many folk suffered. The FSX sim would crash on a regular basis and I was on the point of changing my GPU as I had tried most other things incl. Mobo, RAM, HDD and PSU swop but the fault was still there. This MS update must have worked as since yesterday's MS update - no more crashes. MS update that seems to have fixed my problem - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947562 Ray