Sign in to follow this  
mjrhealth

Of all the tweaks I have ever done

...with the exception of SP2, and perhaps because of it, "BufferPools" has brought me the most bank for the buck.Makes sense. It is a Video setting which takes advantage of the larger vram found in modern GPU cardsets. I read a post on Avsim, which made mention of higher settings than default with larger vram capabilities. Even MS changed the default setting to larger in SP2.For me the results are that finally texture popping is not an issue. Stutter is also not an issue at locked 30FPS. I am now far less distracted by FSX gaps and much more interested in exploring and enjoying FSX Breakthroughs.My humble opinion; make your own.Cheers,btPS...I have set my 8800 GTX (768mb vram) to 10,000,000 (ten million). Suggestions are to go as high as twelve million, but for now this works just fine.

Guest Nick_N

I run mine at 100000000 (100MB)FSX uses 512MB, thats it.. the rest goes to the frame buffer for higher resolution and what ever is assigned in bufferpools

not 104857600?

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest yienmaster

Where is this "BufferPools" variable located? I didn't find it in fsx.cfg. I am running SP1 because I don't have a multicore processor, is that a new variable in SP2?Also, would it help me if I only have 256mb of vram in my gpu?

Guest Nick_N

In your case I would not touch it.. @ 256MB you are already starving for VmemThe header {bufferpools} and it's variable poolsize=X is added to the config, you wont find it there

Guest Nick_N

naaaaa100000000 is fineKISS = Keep it sweet and simpleLOLBesides.. most people do not need that kind of reserved VM. I run a massive TBM and very high settings and since my system can keep up due to the DDR3 bandwidth, the 100M reserve is utilized. Most even on a 768MB card do not need to push that much higher than 25000000If I were to go to a higher screen resolution I would have to drop that value because it would overrun the frame buffer at that point

Nick, How can you monitor how much of the video ram is actually being used? Here is why I ask this question. I will post my system details at the end. There seems to be alot of questions lately about BUFFERPOOLS tweek and I have been using the 5000000 setting for months now with no adverse effects. I did see a overall bit of extra smoothness to the sim with the tweek. My system would probably not be a first or second choice for a person to run FSX but I have molded her into a fairly fine flyin machine. I run XP-PRO sp2 with FSXsp2 (not acceleration), I have tuned to the letter of your suggestions, use O&O, ect. ect. All made a great improvement for me. I have upgraded my video card from a 6600 GT (256-DDR2) to a 8600 GT (256-DRR3) here is a link for the specs:http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0281135This card is a little more than double the horse power of my 6600 and I am very pleased with what it has allowed me to do with so little invested. The area it has helped me in the most is with clouds. I could never run realworld weather on a bad day because it would bring my putter to its knees. After the new card I noticed that I can pretty much fly in any weather with little to no performance hit. I also had issues with water and this now has been resolved. This has allowed me to purchase FEX which I really love. Also before my new card I always noticed random surges especially while in taxi or takeoff. The only way to eliminate it was to lock the frame rate. With the new card only a small surge every now and then not a show stopper and nowhere near the way it was on the old card. After getting the new card I started getting alot of the blurries and poping in of AutoGEN. Very bothersome. Well after reading about all the recent posts about Bufferpools and what you should and shouldnt do I decided to pump mine up to 10000000 just for S#$%^ and giggles. Well my popping is more or less gone as well as the blurries. Sure I see it at times but nowhere near like it was at 5000000. The textures also seem sharper than before. I have only been flying like this now since last night but havent run into any problems yet. So back to my orig question, how do you know how much video ram is actually being used. I read a post were you say it uses 512. If so how can us guys with 256'ers run. I'm not even going to talk about MS saying it needs a min of 32mb. So my logical side of me says "If the Nickster says it will eat 512 and MS says it needs a min of 32 and I can currently run on a 256 then the sim must be adjusting on the fly according to what is has available. That is why I think I am able to do what I am by having the Bufferpool at 10. I have put 10 in the bank and have 246 in my pocket for when its needed, far more than the 32 that MS says for the min. What are your thoughts about this? You probably will tell me it is a placebo effect but I tell you its not. My sliders are LOD Rad = med, mesh complexity 100, mesh res 10, texture res 7, water 2.X low, max weather, scenery DENSE, AG normal with a 1000/2500 tweek. I find for me that FSX is better if I let it control AA, but I let the card controll AF (16X). By the way, if responding to this is going to pull you away from GEX Europe, I can wait! :-beerchug

Jim Wenham

Guest Nick_N

If 10 works better, use it.. thats what it is for and if you are setting things up right then more reserved for BP is possible.My advice was based on a generic response. Most people are 'lead-foots' when it comes to FSX and will push the sliders up higher than their system can handle out of shear desire to see more. In doing so they limit themselves and tweaks like BP may not produce a result or make things worse.FSX will use a max of around 500 if available to it. If not then it cant, of course, and the detection of the hardware and sliders dictate that allocation. If you push it too far then you will overrun your 256 card. You probably do not push it to that point and raising BP is something of a benefit to you.The tweak is purely system and settings dependant. Some will find it helps and others will find it causes problems.. some may find it does nothing at all.

Thanks Nick that makes sense. I know my system is set up as good as can be thanks to you and your knowledge of the beast we call a computer. The other night they played the 25th anniversary of the movie WAR GAMES, what a laugh I had especially with the modem back then, putting the phone over a receiver to decode tones and the pretty green text on a huge 9 inch monitor and the hum of a dot matrix printer in the background. AH the good old days.Want to play a game, sorry simulator.

Jim Wenham

>>Besides.. most people do not need that kind of reserved VM. I>run a massive TBM and very high settings and since my system>can keep up due to the DDR3 bandwidth, the 100M reserve is>utilized. Most even on a 768MB card do not need to push that>much higher than 25000000>Nick what screen res do you run, and what size mon do you run?Very shortly, I will have a 24" widescreen, and an 8800GTX/768.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

MEMSTATUS 2.6 will show show much video and system ram is being used, just google it, its free.