Sign in to follow this  
Guest rodbarc

Cannot land on runway near water

Guest rodbarc

Hi,I'm running FSX default sceneries. I have FEX and GEX but I don't think it makes a difference on this case.It seems that the airports with runway near the water has an wrong elevation. Every time I try to land on an runway near water (eg, rwy 28L/R on KFSO or rwy 22 on KLGA), as soon as pass the beginning of the runway (didn't touch down yet), I get a big jump from the runway, as if the elevation for the field was wrong. Or I get "sucked" suddenly to the ground. It only happens when I'm touching down close to the beginning of the runway. If I land a bit after or land on the other side (which doesn't have water), I can land fine. I can also land fine on airports where the runway are not surrounded by water (KORD, KIAD, etc).Any idea on what that could be? Has this happened to anyone before?Thanks,Rodrigo

Guest NoobPilot

All I can tell you is that I agree, it's not GEX or FEX.

That can happen if you try to change the elevation of an airport or runway. There are steps which must be followed. You might find things look right if you start the flight on the runway, but are messed up if you fly into it from elsewhere. So I ask if you have any airport mods for these airport installed, including changed airport boundary flattens?scott s..

Guest rodbarc

Hi Scott,No, I don't have anything like that. I'm just using the default FSX sceneries, no modification (besides performance settings on fsx.cfg).I was doing some tests today and I think LDS767 might be the culprit. I was able to land fine on rwy 22 @ KLGA with any other aircraft (FSX default, Lear or Baron). But I can't land on with LDS767 on this runway @ KLGA. Unless I come higher than normal.I posted this issue on LDS forum, we'll see.If there's any other suggestion, let me know. I'd hate to reinstall everything from scratch, but I might have to do it to catch where it breaks.Thanks,Rodrigo

Guest firehawk44

I would check your Mesh Resolution slider. Elevation changes when you move this one up or down. I think the default is 38m. This slider may make a major difference around water, I'm not sure. I do know the slider changes elevations. That's amazing you can tell the runway elevation is wrong. Are you crashing when you have your crash detection option selected? If not, I wouldn't be too concerned. Just be careful landing near water!Best regards,Jim

Guest rodbarc

Thanks Jim,I'll try playing around with the sliders. I currently have them maxed out. No meshes or landclass installed.My crash detect off, because I had issues in the past that the aircraft would crash into the gate or buildings, even if I was far from them. So I don't know if it would actually crash if I turn it on.The problem is that I can't land with this big jump, the aircraft bounces over a 1,000 ft. I can only land if I come higher (white / white on VASI), but that's unrealistic.The weird thing is that it's only with LDS767 that it happens - I can land fine with any other aircraft (FSX default).I guess I'll have to reinstall everything and before adding the next add-on, fly and test how it behaves on that situation. But I'll play with the sliders first.Thanks,Rodrigo