Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

fsx messages

Is there a program for fsx similar to messagekill.zip for fs9? I installed this in fs9 and stopped the messages such as, brakes, exit opening/closing etc. And I would like to do the same with fsx.Don

Those may be configured in the fsx.cfg file. There are many posts on this in the forum.Using the Search feature, it took almost 10 seconds to find the answer... ;)Close FSX and then open your fsx.cfg file in notepad.exe and look for the {DISPLAY} (square brackets!) section, and note the following entries that you can edit:ChangeTime=4.000000TransitionTime=4.000000ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoBrakesEnable=TrueInfoParkingBrakesEnable=TrueInfoPauseEnable=TrueInfoSlewEnable=TrueInfoStallEnable=TrueInfoOverspeedEnable=True

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sounds like you didn't like it because I put this question in the forum. sorry!

>Sounds like you didn't like it because I put this question in>the forum. sorry!Nope! Just providing the information you asked for, plus a bonus......telling you how you could have answered the question with little effort and gotten the answer more quickly and efficiently.Don't take offense where none was offered; that is offensive.

Fr. Bill    

Thanks for the help Bill. It took care of all the messages except exit opening/closing. I couldn't find that one.I DO have a bigger problem if you want to help. This one has me baffled and I haven't heard anyone else mention it.First of all I need to tell you I am using xp and a nvidea graphics card. 2500mb memory. I have fsx installed with acceleration and everything is default (no addons). After about 10 minutes into a flight the plane will start to stutter and eventually will stop completely, even the sound will skip then stop. At this point everything is locked up and control alt delete won't even take it out. The only option is to shut down and start over.Yesterday I got so frustrated I uninstalled accel and after that it didn't do it anymore. I made several flights and all was fine. Any ideas??? If you need more info let me know. I would really like to put accel back in. Thanks Don

Guest NeXTer

What you describe is most often associated with overheating of the video card. FSX may look like it's mostly open spaces that shouldn't tax the system too hard, but those open spaces are extremely taxing for the video card and cause a lot of heat. If the chip is even slightly flawed the extra heat can cause the GPU to lock up like you describe...One way of testing this would be to enable the overclock features of the nVidia drivers and then underclock it by, say, 10% or so and see what happens...

I have variable speed cooling fans and it is always running on low so doesn't seem like overheating is a problem. I get nervous when I think about over clocking. I am afraid it will really screw up something. I don't know how to do it and not sure I would if I did. Don

>Thanks for the help Bill. It took care of all the messages>except exit opening/closing. I couldn't find that one.For some reason that one message line didn't get a flag for show/noshow... go figure!>I DO have a bigger problem if you want to help. This one has>me baffled and I haven't heard anyone else mention it. >Any ideas??? If you need more info let me know. I would>really like to put accel back in. Thanks DonI'm afraid I can't offer much here, as -although I have Acceleration- I've never gotten around to installing it. I have very limited time to "play" with FSX, since most of my time is spent in developing models and programming gauges, plus I'm a bit reluctant to "experiment" with my FSX computer since it is running well now, and I must have it for testing my development work... ;)IOW, I don't want to risk having to spend valuable time "fixing" something that works quite well for me now.OTOH, it is quite likely that you are getting an over-saturated virtual address space, and that is resulting in a gradual slowdown until it grinds to a complete halt. You might try adding the /3GB /userva=2560 flags to your boot.ini file to allocate some additional virtual addresses for FSX to use.

Fr. Bill    

>After about 10 minutes into a flight the plane will start to stutter and eventually will stop completely, even the sound will skip then stop. At this point everything is locked up and control alt delete won't even take it out. The only option is to shut down and start over.

Art

Wow Bill you are talking over my head. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do that.Don

mine actually starts to act that way with the video part. The plane will stop and start and sometimes the plane is just sitting there going nowhere and the sound is still going strong. Then other times the video and sound will all go at the same time. Did yours act like that Art?Don

>mine actually starts to act that way with the video part. >The plane will stop and start and sometimes the plane is just>sitting there going nowhere and the sound is still going>strong. Then other times the video and sound will all go at>the same time. Did yours act like that Art?I'm happy to have to say that I can't recreate the problem so I have to go from memory. Mine always occurred in cockpit view, so there wasn't a lot of action. What I remember is sound like a machine gun firing and no movement on the screen all occurring within 5 seconds and then it was frozen. My best guess is that it was a driver problem or a resource conflict.In my case, the freezing occurred in many situations. In this case, it appears that it only occurs when Acceleration is loaded. Would maybe a reinstallation of Acceleration resolve it?ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Well I tried reinstall accel--same resultI tried uninstal fsx and reinstall w/accel--same resultI tried " " " " wo/accel--- same result"""""""""""""""""fsx with just sp1 "" "Right now fsx is out of my machine and won't be back untill someone comes up with a new thing to try. I'm just plain at a loss!!! fs9 runs great. Dongateway--dual processor pent 4 windows xp professional media edition 2.5 gig memory nvidea 6200 turbo cache ch yoke and pedals

Now it sounds like you are saying that FSX freezes with or without Acceleration installed. I think that I would be reinstalling device drivers and verifying that they are up to date. You might try disabling your sound device and seeing if it happens without any sound. While I might have solved my problem by updating the onboard sound driver, I wanted to install a separate sound card to take some load off the CPU anyway, and it just happened that it resolved the issue. FSX now runs great. While I still have FS9 loaded, I havn't used it in months.Sorry for your frustration, I've been there.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Well I didn't know it froze with or without but with all my testing it shows that it does. If it was my sound card, wouldn't fs9 have some sound problems? When you say disable the sound, do you mean unhook the speakers? I am a real greenhorn when it comes to this stuff. I know how to find and put in drivers for the graphics card and that is about it. How do I find drivers for the sound card? A lot of questions I know but now that I have your attention, I am taking advantage. SorryDon