Sign in to follow this  
Guest fsxmissionguy

cloud shadows in FSX

Has anybody ever thought about how to create cloud shadows in FSX? I recall someone on this forum stating that the possibility probably was there.Could be really great to see cloud shadows KindlyJakob Arnholtz

Guest PPSFA

I believe the folks at FEX mentioned they were working on this, but maybe I was dreaming :-)

No, you were not dreaming but I believe the discussion was more about them exploring the possibilities not a granted promise. Of course, this is only my recollection. I haven't gone digging around the FEX forums to confirm. Sure would be nice though.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I only hope that whenever finally cloud shadows become reality in FS they will have nice, realistic soft look to them. Unfortunately all shadows that existed to date in FS are way too dark making them look almost like shadows on the Moon - for my taste they look so bad I have no use for them.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

"all shadows that existed to date in FS are way too dark"Sorry to disagree, but try to look through the holes of a stratus cloud onto earth next time you fly in real life, and you will see that regions under cloud shadow are in fact so dark and lacking contrast, that you see nearly nothing there compared with neighboring sun lit areas. Also, the existing shadow implementations (terrain and scenery objects) are quite right IMO.I don't remember the thread now, but some days ago there was a similar discussion where some game developer stated the constrast between lightest and darkest scenery objects is still way too low on the screen. Try to get blinded in FS when flying against the sun :-) - you know these summer evenings on the road when nothing is visible than dust and dead insects on the windshield...Regards

Unfortunately I totally disagree. The contrast may be lacking but there is still plenty of light left to see things. Have seen, flown through it many times. But you don't need to fly to look at the shadows cast by buildings. It is shadows on the Moon that are very dark since there is no light scattered by the atmosphere. Again in FS they are way too dark. In physics there is even such a thing called half-shadow which is often what you get on Earth.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Lets not forget the long promised weather engine.

Jim Wenham

You are right. Cloud shadows is many things and has many appearances in real life. Seems to me, that FSX cannot cope with anything that complex (Yet!) KindlyJakob Arnholtz

It's not an issue of "complexity", really. X-Plane has supported nice, soft and realistic cloud shadows for ages, probably since version 7. They aren't some random blotches of darker textures, either. The appear only under clouds, in the correct location. With the improved water shaders and other improvements in version 9, it's really cahthing up with FS visually, which is a good thing - I'd love to see another "flight simulation war" like the one in the late 90's and early 2000's. This kind of competition drives up the rate of development and innovation.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest fsxmissionguy

Mike ... dude,those are pretty contrasty clouds you got goin on in that pic.