Sign in to follow this  
N400QW

Quitting the hobby for a while

About a year ago I started up my pursuit of a dream--Sport Pilot. But availability of aircraft was scarce as popularity of Sport Pilot grew and I could book fewer and fewer lessons. My CFI felt I was far enough along to purchase an aircraft of my own to finish my training.I kid you not, every single dang aircraft seller I have met over the course of the past year, and I've met a good half dozen, has been a scam artist. The final straw was when I flew to the east coast a week ago and offered a deposit on an aircraft. But the night I returned, lo and behold, someone called and offered the jerk more money. I wasted a thousand bucks, and even if I sued the guy for fraud, it would cost me a heck of a lot more. No doubt this jerk used my interest as leverage to snare another buyer.I am sure there's good honest pilots out there. Probably more frequent this forum than elsewhere. But I am so fed up with my dumb luck, anything linked to aviation leaves a sour taste. I'm really sick and tired of it, can't even bring myself to enjoy a flight sim any more--I just shake with rage at these jerks who make used car saleseman look like candidates for the pearly gates.Anyway, I decided to call the whole affair quits. No dream is worth this amount of angst. Flying was and always will be a rich man's club, and I don't get along well with the crowd. Better off I stick to commercial.But no doubt I will continue to enjoy reading the forums and the good humor virtual pilots I've shared the air with.Tom--please go ahead and terminate my account...Regards,John

I am sorry to hear of your experience.I have found the exact opposite-but have not dealt with the Sport Pilot side. To be honest-I don't really see the point of the rating other than a vehicle for pilots who can't get a medical to continue to fly-and the ones I know pursuing that rating are doing so because of this.A new sport pilot's aircraft cost more than a used conventional aircraft, doesn't perform as well, and imho doesn't look as well built-at least I felt that way after examining all the Sport makes at the Aopa convention last year.My daughter surprised me a few years ago when she announced she wanted to become a pilot as a profession-she had never shown an interest at all even though she had flown with me quite a bit.At an evening several years later I got her in a talkative mood and she confessed she went into flying less about airplanes but more about the people involved. She said pilots were "the coolest people".I have found the same. I hope you let the sour taste evaporate-then maybe investigate the normal Ga routes. For the purchase price of a new Sport aircraft you can get a share/partnership of something much better performing-and may find that side of the world not filled with sharks. I find in the "normal" Ga world filled with honesty, integrity, and genuinely nice optimistic people being the norm-with of course an occasional exception.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Thanks for your reply,I probably should have guessed I was setting myself up to fail when I entered Light Sport. I did so because I was afraid I could not get an exemption for the sight in my left eye, which for some odd reason can't read text or numbers. The FAA put a big gotcha into Sport Pilot--get turned down for a medical, for any reason, and you can't fly under Sport Pilot even if you're legal to drive.Quite obviously though I was taken advantage of big time this time around. I think the seller owes me my money for my effort to see the aircraft given my good faith effort to buy the aircraft, but legally it would cost me an arm and a leg to prove anything in court--if the law were on my side at all. I've never sued anyone in my life, but wish I could go after this latest guy for fraud. I noticed he was very reticent to put anything in writing. I asked for a sales contract, and that made him "uncomfortable". Yet he tried to be my best buddy to get me out there. One day I hope to fly again. I feel so at home at the controls and so at peace. But all in all the past year was the biggest waste--I've gained nothing except the realization that flying is just a small piece of the puzzle. First you have to navigate the shark filled waters.Regards...

>I find in>the "normal" Ga world filled with honesty, integrity, and>genuinely nice optimistic people being the norm-with of course>an occasional exception.>The majority of people that I've known or met in the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) over the last 18 years have been great people too! Many will go out of their way to answer questions or just be helpful. Even the high hour commercial pilots are more down to earth when it comes to their homebuilts. :7 L.Adamson

Guest wyoming

It'll come back better and stronger in a way or another because it cannot not to.

If you are not already a member - join AOPA.They have a group which works with people with medical issues to find the best possible solution, including physicals which are not real physicals so you can get a solid read on your chances of passing or failing an actual medical.

"They have a group which works with people with medical issues to find the best possible solution, including physicals which are not real physicals so you can get a solid read on your chances of passing or failing an actual medical."I already know my vision does not meet medical requirements in the one eye. I would have to apply for a waiver, and there's no guarantee one would be granted. Problem is I am grounded for life if a waiver isn't granted. If the Sport Pilot market ever comes back to its senses and these opportunistic jerks and their bidding wars go away, I'd be locked out of it for good. Also, realistically as I grow older the chances of meeting a physical will get stretched. I'm just a few years from 50 and have never had good health--it will only get worse.

Sorry to hear about your experience John. In all my years (50+) of being involved with aviation, I have found the people to be an unique breed. Sadly there are always exceptions. If you let them ruin your dream and give up your hobby, then they win.Hang in there - your contibutions to the forum would be missed by many.I would venture a guess that you're angrier with yourself for letting someone take advantage of you than you are at him - well, almost :)Take it from experience, if that's the last dumb thing you do you'll be mighty lucky. Welcome to the "Oh WHY did I do that?" club - it has a very large membership.Vic Visit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest airbus2

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.To me aviation seems to almost be like a disease which can break somone down. I was reading topics on the pprune forums the otherday, one thread was from the wife of a man who had spent

Guest wayupthere

John we all have our ups and downs, but we all get by eventually, some with the help of others and some just by own strenght. Maybe you need some time off from aviation,.... BUT i think and i probally can speak for many of use, who are just simmers or also real world pilots, weather it be private, coorporate or commercial.. Flying is in you and once you have it, it wont ever leave you..To keep spirits up have a look at this. http://www.onesixright.comAlso all the best whatever your decision may be..

John,Aviation can be a very crooked industry... it's driven largely by emotion and ego... that combined with the razor thin profit margins and you see where the trouble can start.You'll be back though :-)-Bryan

It seems like the market for LSA, at least in the US is kind of thin?scott s..

"It seems like the market for LSA, at least in the US is kind of thin?"What happened is the FAA set an arbitrary number on the max gross that excluded the Cessna 152, for which there is a huge market of used aircraft. By doing this, it locked buyers into three choices--Experimental, Classic, or S-LSA. Problem is the S-LSA market soared in cost--started in the 60's and now averages 80-90K and up. What did that do? It turned "nice" pilots into two-bit hustlers. They decided that their experimental Challengers, and Rans, and Kitfoxes that sold for 10-12K eighteen months ago could be sold for 30, 40 and up. And many of these "FAT" ultralights aren't N-Numbered and have no A/W certificate.Many of the people I've met in Sport Pilot speculate that there was a lot of manipulation of the final Sport Pilot rule to work it to the favor of the S-LSA market. Who knows. My feeling is the thought of someone like me, a basic "middle class" father and husband being able to fly thru the supposedly cheaper avenue of Sport Pilot is just a pipe dream. I don't suffer fools well and there's a lot of them taking advantage of Sport Pilot now. I say they can all go to ####.John

Wow seems like you are having a hard time with this aviation thing. Just as all the other RW pilots have said already stick with it and it will be worth while in a bit. The problem is that the LSA industry is still so new and there is going to problems until it all stabalizes in a few years.

Chris, please alter your signature image to meet our size requirements. I think you have received multiple warnings on this. Please adhere to those policies.