Sign in to follow this  
N400QW

Quitting the hobby for a while

John, aren't you glad I am not a "Johnny on the spot" with these types of requests - shutting down your account that is. Obviously, you needed to vent and further respond. So, until you send me a private email with a notorized cease and desist letter from your attorney attached, you will have your account here, whether you post or not. :)By the way, I get those cease and desist things all the time. I will treat yours just like I do the others... BIN 'EM!!! :-lol

You tell him, Tom!!!Best regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)HP Media CenterPentium D 2.80 GHz Duel core2.00 GB RAMNVIDIA GeForce 6200SEConexant Falcon II NTSCXP SP2

>John, aren't you glad I am not a "Johnny on the spot" with>these types of requests - shutting down your account that is.>Obviously, you needed to vent and further respond. So, until>you send me a private email with a notorized cease and desist>letter from your attorney attached, you will have your account>here, whether you post or not. :)>I tried to quit all flight sim forums. Lasted a week... :7 L.Adamson

When did you do that? I don't ever remember an interruption in your "flow", so to speak. You sure you aren't having sympathetic illusions of having quit? :)

>When did you do that? I don't ever remember an interruption>in your "flow", so to speak. You sure you aren't having>sympathetic illusions of having quit? :)Two weeks ago, on a weekend, as my blood pressure was appearing to rise. :D Almost a solid week without reading anything, and a full week before posting again. It's been a fifteen year or so habit, and hard to break. :-hah L.Adamson

I don't believe you. I think you are delusional. Or, if you are telling the truth, I certainly missed your absence. I have to go check the records.... :-lol

Blimey John, this reads like your about to fall on your sword?Cool it and get out into the fresh air somewhere, take some deep breaths and be thankful your in good health, financially sound and able to consider doing what you do?There are many out there that envy you and are a 100 times worse off.Take a sabatical...............you'll be back.

Dave Taylor gb.png

If I were living in the Phoenix area, I'd be looking for a nice motorized sailplane instead of an LSA...no medical requirement, and a whole lot cheaper to keep/operate. Lots of good air for soaring in that area...best in the world, perhaps.Then there's the whole spectrum of advanced ultralights, autogyros, motorized parasails, etc. They look to be a lot of fun, too.I think you're too focused on the LSA...that's only one way to get into the air. Stop, drop back 5, punt, and pick a new strategy. Works a lot better than "Oh screw it all, goodbye cruel world..."CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I think the problem is that everything requires a sport pilots license now, Parasail, motorglider, weight shift.

Correct Chris--for two place flying, anyway. Sport Pilot gave me the chance to fly with a loved one, given my concerns over a medical waiver for my left eye with a loved one. All those aircraft Bob mentions have tripled in price due to Sport Pilot in the resale market and have least doubled in price in the new market. And, Sport Pilot now requires them all to be N-Numbered--most aren't. The backlog is now months to get the process going and legally, the aircraft can't be flown under Sport Pilot until the process is complete.I've considered a single place ultralight, but it is not very responsible as a husband or father to let risk leaving my family with no income to get in a "fix" of flying. My life insurance specifically excludes ultralights. I wasn't just interested in "flying around". But the market is simply locked now with scores of dishonest people hustling their aircraft under the Sport Pilot banner. I'm not made of money, and this isn't the first time this has happened to me. That's why I noted my ultimate feeling is GA flying is still an elitist pastime. The latest jerk I dealt with figures a thousand bucks spent, big deal. It is a big deal.-John

John, local flying clubs with C150s or C172s are still a good way to the PPL. Many are affordable to join and have the added benefit of reasonable charges per flight hour. Many CFI's are willing to give a student a bit of a break on hourly rates if you happen to find one.It IS possible to "get there from here" if you really want to do it:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

The problem is that you need to have a medical to get your PPL.

Of course. Just had mine. Maybe I misunderstood...John can't get a medical or just doubts he can get one? I know a high time Charter Pilot who is color blind of all things. He's had a medical for over thirty years:-)Ron HamiltonPP ASEL

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

"John can't get a medical or just doubts he can get one?"There's really two issues here--one of risk and the other of being humiliated.It's guaranteed I would have to ask for a waiver. If I don't get one, I am not only out of a PPL, I am out of Sport Pilot, forever--FAA's rules, not mine. My left eye vision is caused by a neurological problem. There is no treatment or correction for it--it can best be described as having severe dyslexia--albeit in one eye. Try to prove to some FAA "suit" judging fitness for a waiver. If I had thousands of hours and was already a proven pilot, it's easy. But as a Sport Pilot student with less than a dozen hours transitioning to a PPL, that's a huge and expensive risk. As for being able to afford to fly PPL, it's actually cheaper as you don't have the limited supply issues that have turned Sport Pilot into a huge virtual used car lot waiting for suckers like myself. I've seen a number of fairly low time 172's I could afford and that would make for a good investment. Those that aren't for sale but owned by friends--I'd have no problem buying them if they came on the market.Overall though, I am just so discouraged after my experience. Can I afford to throw away a thousand bucks for some fraud? Yeah, but doing it once is enough for me to say to heck with it for a while. People see "new pilot" and want to treat me like a fool. I am not so absorbed in wanting to fly that I will tolerate that. I have to live with the embarrassment already with my family, who saw me waste money on this --self censored expletive-- excuse for a pilot back east. It's hard to explain to a spouse, or to a little girl who wanted to fly with her daddy, how daddy was duped... I am sure in a year or two I may feel different but for now, I need a break.