Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Loading FSX config files - a warning!

FSX has a facility that allows you to save your preferences into a configuration file which you can pass to a friend who can load it into his FSX install. This is very handy to compare your systems using the same preferences.I've just been advised by a friend that when you load this file and then exit FSX it automatically updates your FSX.CFG with those settings. :-eekIt really shouldn't be doing that or at the very least there should be a confirmation when you exit FSX that you want your preferences overwritten.Phil T, if your reading this please ensure this is fixed for FSXI.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Surely this is expected behaviour? Loading a config file (which is something I do all the time to switch between my high settings for GA and my lower settings for use with the PMDG 747 etc.) is just a shortcut for going in and changing settings manually. When you change settings using either method, the changes are saved in fsx.cfg so that you don't have to repeat your actions next time you run FS.Colin

Rule #1: always practice safe hex!Prior to loading any saved configuration, one should simply Save their current configuration to disk...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Colin,<Well if it is if wasn't obvious to either myself or my friend (a well-known person in FS circles). If Microsoft introduced this feature so that people could easily setup an identical installation it should NOT change your own config.You use this feature for a different reason to me but I remember the blurb when FSX was released that it would make it easy for you to load a friend's config. It shouldn't change your own and certainly not without a warning.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Bill,<>As a programmer don't you think that if you're going to overwrite a user's settings you should at least give him the option? I wouldn't dream of not offering that option.If I'd known my FSX.CFG was going to be overwritten then yes, I would have saved it. But it's not obvious that happens.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

IIRC, FS saves the state of the system every time you exit. Since this is normal behavior why should they warn you? If you manually make a change in the settings and exit, they are saved without asking. Always have been to my recollection.My understanding of multiple configs has always been that it retains your last load.Don't see an issue here, Ray.:)VicQ6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.65Evga 680i A1 with P31 BIOS 2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T320G 7200 HD partitioned for XP/Vista/Programs 2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx XG 174.74 702/1620/792Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi Vic,I've looked through the Help in FSX and I can find nothing about saving and loading CFG files.Clearly some of you know how these CFGs work but I'm sure I can't be the only person who thought you could use them on a temporary basis to test a scenario and then revert to your own settings on exit.I still feel there should be some form of warning before your own FSX.CFG is overwritten. If the purpose of loading CFGs isn't clear then there should be a warning. As I said earlier I always thought their primary purpose was to load different configurations but NOT to replace your own automatically on exit.I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>Hi Bill,>><Save their current configuration to disk...>>>>As a programmer don't you think that if you're going to>overwrite a user's settings you should at least give him the>option? I wouldn't dream of not offering that option.>>If I'd known my FSX.CFG was going to be overwritten then yes,>I would have saved it. But it's not obvious that happens.I see your point Ray, but I'm not suggesting saving the fsx.cfg file at all...Instead, before Load(ing) a Save(d) mini-configuration, simply Save your current mini-configuration to something like "My Current Settings"... ;)I have about a dozen different mini-cfg files saved, ranging from "Plain Vanilla" to "All Maxed." The neat part is that you don't have to exit the sim and reload, you don't even have to quit your current flight...Everything is done from the Options Menu.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It should be noted that technically speaking, the FSX.cfg is an configuration file that really isn't meant to be exposed to the user. That's why there is a UI to manipulate it. Any altering of the default FSX.cfg could really be considered an advanced user function in terms of the base product's functionality. In a case like that, for the average user, it's best to have the process be as streamlined as possible. How many questions would we get if every time you loaded up a saved config it yelled "WARNING: YOU ARE ABOUT TO OVERWRITE YOUR FSX.CFG FILE. CONTINUE???" There would be a bunch of people who would be confused or scared.

I also found the FSX system very convenient compared to FS9, where I have multiple .cfg files and do command line switching with the CFG: switch. Being able to switch in-game makes life easier. I suppose there could be an option to make the changes session only / permanent. I've always operated under the idea that changes are permanent, and have kept master copies of .cfg files in case I need to return to a known config. I think it would be nice if the same UI was available for control assignments.scott s..

Guest RonB49

>I think it would be nice if the same UI was available for control assignments.It is! Familiarize yourself with these lines in your FSX config files:[CONTROLS]Controls_Default=StandardControls_Current=StandardKBDAIL=64KBDELEV=64KBDRUD=64In order to configure a new set of control assignments, perform these four steps:1. Mske a copy of Standard.xml, then run FSX with one of your specialized config files and set up your joysticks and keys as you like them for that plane.2. End FSX, then rename the new Standard.xml to Standard_special.xml.3. Rename the file copied in step 1 back to Standard.xml.4. Edit your specialized config file to look like this:[CONTROLS]Controls_Default=StandardControls_Current=Standard_specialKBDAIL=64KBDELEV=64KBDRUD=64I have files named Standard_c172.xml, Standard_Kingair.xml, Standard_Lear.xml, and many more. Each is called by a different FSX config file associated with that plane and each assigns the three levers atop my CH USB Yoke differently and sets the sensitities and defines any special buttons and keys. It works like a charm.R-

<>Show me where in the interface or help it states that. The only clue is the file extension and it is not obvious that when you load a different CFG your FSX.CFG will be updated automatically when you exit FSX.<>You show the message with a "don't tell me again" option. If you check that option you're on your own but otherwise you are warned before updating the FSX.CFG with the loaded one.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Bill,Yes, that makes perfect sense providing you already knew the CFG you were loading would overwrite your FSX.CFG on exit. I don't think the process is clear in that respect especially when any saved CFGs are placed in a different location to your FSX.CFG.Now that I know how the process works I (and my learned friend) won't make that mistake again. Surely we can't be the only two who have made this mistake? :-hmmm

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest UlfB

Hi,When I load a configuration file in FSX I allways want FSX to save these loaded settings when I exit FSX. Why would I load another configuration file if I don't want to use it? And I want FSX to preserve/save these loaded settings until I load another configuration. Very simple and straight forward IMO.Ulf B

Ulf,I'll repeat what I said in an earlier reply. It isn't obvious (to me and probably plenty of others) that when you load a CFG that on exiting FSX the settings in that file will replace those in the FSX.CFG.Please point me to the section in the Help where it covers this because up to now I haven't found it.When I load a different CFG I only want it to be active for that session of FSX. I think it quite reasonable that would be the case. If they were going to become permanent I would have expected some warning.But I'm just going over what I have already said. I would really appreciate a comment from Phil Taylor on this because clearly there is some ambiguity as to how the process works and I can't find anything covering it in the Help.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather