Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scott967

Loading FSX config files - a warning!

>If it just overwrites stuff that's easy to change from the GUI>anyway it doesn't seem like such a big deal.That is indeed all that happens. Anything other than that remains intact... ;)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

<>Who ever said that was being done? :-roll But, sending a CFG to someone who is about to buy a state-of-the-art PC would make a lot of sense.

>Who ever said that was being done? :-roll But, sending a CFG>to someone who is about to buy a state-of-the-art PC would>make a lot of sense.Never said it was being done. Just a possible scenario and with the minimum specs it kinda made me chuckle. No make that upchuckle. :-lol

While I understand your poiunt completely Ray, I still have to go with the fact that, to me, this is standard behavior. I am hard pressed to think of many programs that use a CFG or INI file that do NOT retain the last loaded image. Maybe it's because I've been a programmer for many years but I've always assumed that as normal behavior and would not even think of explaining or much less adding a dialogue box to cover it.In any program that I've written utilizing multiple INI files it is a tacit assumption that the user would create specific INI files for all situation, including the default and load the required one.I can't speak for Aces but I would put forth that this is a basic Windows concept, much like using TAB instead of RETURN and needn't be covered specifically. One must assume that users have *some* experience just running a computer. :)I hope that didn't sound elitist nor condescending as it is not my intent - sometimes it is difficult to put intent into the written word.VicQ6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.65Evga 680i A1 with P31 BIOS 2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T320G 7200 HD partitioned for XP/Vista/Programs 2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx XG 174.74 702/1620/792Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

Hi Vic,I wasn't expecting any more discussion on this as I feel I've probably flogged it to death.<>But to some, perhaps many people there might not seem to be a connection between a loaded CFG sent by a friend and your permanent settings in FSX.CFG. The fact that they both have the same extension may be a clue to those who are quite computer literate but not everyone has the same level of understanding. Does it seems so strange that some might consider a loaded CFG is discarded on exit?And despite me (and my unnamed friend) both being pretty savvy users we never made the connection between a loaded CFG and it permanently overwriting our own settings when FSX exits.Aces introduced this new feature in FSX I think they should have at least explained how the process works. It's been suggested that having a confirmation message displayed when exiting FSX would be confusing? Why? A question would have to be be very poorly phrased to confuse the user. Let me suggest this... You have modified your display settings. Do you wish to save the modified ones or retain the originals? That seems clear enough. One confirmation message when FSX exits. No big deal really.<>of course not Vic. I think I know you well enough to know that you would never adopt that attitude.You know, I can't believe me and my mate are the only two people who have shared CFGs in this way and are the only people who are confused by how it works. Maybe others reading this are too embarrassed to admit they misunderstood it too. Don't be. I honestly feel Aces need to look at this and change it. I know it may not seem a big deal as you only have to set things up as you like them but for the sake of a confirmation message it doesn't seem like it would take much effort.Cheers,

Thanks, but I'm not sure I would call editing fsx.cfg a UI, at least not like an option in the the free flight page to load an assignments profile, or save one.scott s..

There was a benchmark uploaded a while back that consisted of a flight and a mini-config. If you load both of those you can then compare hardware (or possibly config power tweaks outside of the mini-config). contrast this to FS9 where you had folks uploading entire fs9.cfg, including all the assignments.scott s..