Sign in to follow this  
Mace

AI Aircraft with no Landing Gear?

Some MSFSX AI aircraft, at some airports display no landing gear when parked on the Apron (i.e. Default PA28 or Baron). Others have no problem (i.e. Grand Caravan). This only happens at some distance. For example in spot view, if the selected spot view aircraft one is flying is slewed or taxied closer to the AI aircraft in question, the landing gear then kicks in and displays.I have ultimate traffic as well. I disabled the MSFSX GA aircraft ("aircraft.sleep") in the hope that they would be replaced by similar Ultimate Traffic selections. In the UT Traffic Compile Options, an option is given with check mark activation for a list of GA aircraft which match those available in MSFSX. However, with the MSFSX aircraft.cfg's disabled, and the UT selections checkmarked (selected), none of these aircraft seem to appear. My assumption is that UT uses MSFSX default aircraft for the GA selections. If someone could confirm this, or if it is not the case tell me how to get the UT GA aircraft to appear, I would appreciate it. There is no problem with the UT heavies, they are present in great quantity.Attached are two screenshots of a Default Baron with this problem. One screenshot shows the absence of landing gear. The second is of the same plane after moving a bit closer, and the landing gear has kicked in and is displayed.Any ideas? Thanks:RTH

Evidently someone forgot the gear in the next lowest LOD model... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Evidently someone forgot the gear in the next lowest LOD>model... :(He says those are DEFAULT aircraft models though Bill...and I've never noticed LOD part-dropping with default models in my sim before. I guess it could be happening but I have never noticed it with defaults......EXCEPT when I had SmallPartRejectRadius set to a bad value...*so*, out of curiousity, Rhodges have you tweaked with SmallPartRejectRadius in your FSX.cfg file?RhettE8500, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks for the replies Bill and Rheet:No, I have not edited the "SmallPartRejectRadius" in my FSX.cfg file, however I wonder if that might not be worth a try or two thanks to your suggestion. This current line item under the (Scenery) section reads: "SmallPartRejectRadius=4". Out of curiosity, what does yours read?Now for a little bit of an interesting part: I always save a total backup of FS installations immediately after the default installations as virgin copies so that I can get back to go if things ever start to smell bad. I also did the same thing after installing SP1. In the FSX.cfg files for either of these former files (before SP2), I do not have this line item included in the fsx.cfg. From where was it originated, the SP2 installation? I wonder if different settings might have been possible under different conditions for different ones of us when it was added? If I am interpreting correctly (and probably not) from a reply by Reggie Fields in the FlightSim FSX forum, there seems to be diverse philosophies relative to "LOD" affects. If I understood Reggie correctly, this is somewhat common for MSFS default aircraft and possibly nothing can be done about it although I never noticed it in FS9.Again, thanks for the interest and attention.RTH

I don't have that line in my cfg. Why not try adding the // before that entire line to comment it out for testing purposes?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Findings:I tried editing "SmallPartRejectRadius=4" in the scenery section of the FSX,cfg file as follows:With a setting of "SmallPartRejectRadius=3" I saw no difference. At the original distance, the landing gear and prop did not display on the Default Baron as an AI aircraft on the Apron.With a setting of "SmallPartRejectRadius=2", my landing gear displayed at any distance, but the prop disappeared at some point.With a setting of "SmallPartRejectRadius=1", to my surprise the AI aircraft in question (Default Baron) did not display at all.With "SmallPartRejectRadius=4" disabled or removed completely from the FSX.cfg file, the aircraft displayed completely including the gear, prop and everything else with no problems that I can detect so far.For what it is worth:RTH

Ah, so it *was* SmallPartRejectRadius!You should not have SmallPartRejectRadius in your file at all, with a stock installation.That should only appear if added manually (or I suppose some add-on could add it, but I've never heard that).RhettE8500, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB