Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

would you fly in russian planes in real life?

We have some GREAT freebie russian planes and if you can figure it out they are lots of fun to fly... but for some reason russian planes in general kinda creep me out... i wouldnt want to fly in one... perhaps maybe because they are not too good with maintance with their 'machines' from figthers to submarines and all....would you fly in a russian plane?:)

Hi,I have flown with many russian aircraft IRL. And I wouldn

Staffan

Guest PARADISE

I agree with you. Heck, a majority of the maintenance on U.S carriers is done overseas by outside companies with very little,if any FAA overseeing. Sometimes in countries that have horrendous aviation safety records due to maintenance flaws in their own fleets.Russian airline maintenance may not have been the been known for having the best safety records, but in time,the rest of the world has, or is in the process of coming down to their level. We can't blame the airlines though. They just simply cannot afford to keep at the maintenance levels of the past. A downside of de-regulation for sure.John M

Probably a better topic for hangar chat, but me--I probably wouldn't have any issues. Their aircraft are still 100's of times safer than a typical day on the road rage circuit we call the U.S. Freeway system. -John

I have walked off and refused to fly an American Airlines B727, a PrinAir Heron, a US Airways A320, and an ANA B747.I cannot totally describe why, except that things just did not look right to me and I did not feel comfortable flying. To my knowledge nothing happened on the flights I did not want to take.Except for PrinAir, the airline staff was helpful and quickly got me on a different flight, twice on different airlines.I don't think any aircraft is inherently safer or less safe than another. Some do require different skill sets than others. There are airlines which fly russian aircraft which do an excellent job, there are airlines flying Airbus and Boeing aircraft which do a very poor job.Some of the things I watch for include the attitude of the terminal and flight crew. Unhappy, angry people - I don't want to fly with them.I'm more likely to cancel or change my flight on a day when weather had delays backed up across the entire country. People rushing to make up time and pushing to make an already blown schedule do not inspire my confidence.In flights almost all the way around the world for 37 years, I've been on only one civilian and four military aircraft that returned to the departure airport after takeoff. The only rejected takeoff I've been aboard was in the jump seat of a Challenger bizjet of the company I work for - and that was a runway incursion by a Cessna.Most importantly, I am never FORCED to get on an airplane. I'd much rather loose the price of an airline ticket than fly on an aircraft I don't feel is safe.BTW - the old excuse of sudden, major naseau and the runs can work wonders for getting off a plane if you don't want to fly without a financial penalty.

Guest airbus2

Hmmm, I have often thought about this. They do seem to crash alot, one in Russia recently. If the plane had been checked out by fully trained professonals then i would have no cause for concern. Lets face it, alot of 737s have crashed and i step on to them all the time!I think it comes down to the airline, i would not like to fly on a "Air Zimbabwe" jet but wouldnt mind boarding a British or American plane for example.Have a look at this video i found a few days ago, the plane is a Ilyushin Il-62.David

Guest daniel.alm

If you check the accident causes with Russian airliners, you'll find out that a very high percentage is "pilot error". 737's and Western aircraft in general come down much more often due to technical problems.So to answer the original question, I would fly in a Russian machine without hesitating, actually, it's one of the dreams I've still to fullfill. :)

Looking at the technical side the Russians tend to make their stuff stronger and more reliable then our CAD designed absolutely to the weightlimit 'wunderplanes'.If the pilot stays of the wodka I will fly without hessitations Da!

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

I don't think Russian planes are any less safe than Western aircraft. Russian aircraft are known for their robust nature due to the environments in which the must fly. I'm not aware of the Russian safety record being necessarily worse than anyone else.Also, I'm not sure why you would believe that Russians are not too good with maintenance...that's rather an elitest statement. Russians have a very active (and safe) space program...as a matter of fact we have lost more people in our space program than they have (hint: two shuttles worth of astronauts gone to that big dipper in the sky). Newer Russian commerical aircraft are state-of-the art and maintained quite well. The Russian military, while low on funds simply can't afford to maintain their gargantuan selection of pre cold war toys. However, make no mistake that the aircraft, ships and subs that are maintained are fully battle ready and as dangerous as ever.SO to answer your question, yes, I'd fly on a Russian aircraft without a second thought. Would I fly on the Space Shuttle? Probably, but with second thought.

Guest PARADISE

>I don't think Russian planes are any less safe than Western>aircraft. Russian aircraft are known for their robust nature>due to the environments in which the must fly. I'm not aware>of the Russian safety record being necessarily worse than>anyone else.>I also do not have the statistics to back this up, but it could well be that if indeed the Russians have more accidents per hours flown then certain other countries, it could be because of the harsher environments they fly in. Weather still causes most aircraft accidents worldwide.The US press was quick to jump on the Indonesian aviation industry lately about their "maintenance" capabilities after two horrific B 737 accidents. Although the investigations are still on going, it looks like both accidents were weather related and probably had nothing to do with shotty maintenance.John M

The Sukhoi line of aerobatic aircraft have been some of the best made, as well as winners in many competitions. This company is also well known for some excellent military aircraft.L.Adamson

.... yes hangar chat really ... but yes I hope I get the chance to fly in all the Russian aircraft out there... who wouldn't like to try a MIG-29? :-kewl..and Russian pilots are definitely amongst the best in the world.If I was brave enough to fly on a Nigeria Airways Boeing 707 ... I can fly on anything! :-lol (nothing wrong with the plane ...but a tendency of Nigeria Airways a/c to be overloaded * disclaimer* I do not know this as a fact)And certainly in my virtual world the Project Tupolev TU-154 is right up there amongst the top choices of aircraft to fly. :)

Hi, virtual and real flyers. I flew in the russian almost copy ofthe 727, in 1991. Canada-Cuba-Canada. I had no choice. When I felt the way the engines pushed mein the back of my seat, at take off, I wasreassured ! ! B-)Blue skies.

Guest christianholmes

Russian fighter jets are INSANE. The Mig-29 and the SU-27 are two of the best fighters in the world. The T-34 is regarded as the best tank ever made. The T-80 and T-72 have only recently been really outclassed.The biggest plane in the world is the ... (forgot name, but it's Russian).Look at the older stuff even- The IL-2 was awesome, the HIND helicopter is still as big a threat as anything we have (sans commanche).The only thing lame about Russia is the cars- Their cars are ugly little things.*Side note- Have any of you played S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? That is fresh out of Russia and it's really, really good. I don't play many games but I like that one.