Sign in to follow this  
cklink

RealAir Spit "Historical" AB-315 Package uploaded

Dropping a quick line for those that were interested in the package, it's now available in the library. I can only imagine being 20 years old and doing what these recce

Great package you have put together. Very nice indeed.I've downloaded it and look forward to testing myself with the flights in the future.

Thanks' Just hope the scenery isn't to bad for a first timer.Now if only I could figure out how to have AI that if they saw you they'd hunt you down, then I could have built in the constant state of fear & panic (let alone getting lost) to help set the mood in your unarmed plane ...One of his stories I'll never forget is when he told me about the time he dam near cooked the engine and ran out himself out of fuel as he was sure he was being followed/pursued and was trying to evade. After a good hour of his best efforts to elude his pursuer, he realized it was a dam "spot" on his canopy. LOLRegards'Garett

Garett,That looks like one heckuva package and a great homage to your grandfather.Well done!

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Guest stevehow

Hi garettseems it's a model of your grandfathers aircraft regards steve

Thanks Steve,Yes it is, I had found that site when trying to dig up info on the serials. It took me two months to figure out if his was "Blue" or the "Pink" camotint. As the pics I had are B/W, and honestly you could not tell from them.But Peter's (AB-316) was blue, and I'm sure from the stories Grandpa had told me - He would have mentioned if it was pink LOL. I used pics I had, Peter's plane, refererences of marking & locations from various locations, conversations with my family, and used that pic for confirmation of the scheme.LOL - I had already made a pink version of the AB-316 ready to go just in case (plus I really felt for those guys, as it is well noted the amount of vulnerablity they felt flying those birds. The color scheme was great for under overcast skys, but above - a sitting duck), but I will try and match up a actual serial to put on it before I upload it.Side note: It's interesting after doing research on this, how many variances exist from various sources. Prime example - Record's show that peter's AB-315 was switched off to fighter duty in late 44 before it was SOC (Struck off Charge), but the fact is his was lost on a PR sortie over Burma (Pilot was captured, and returned many months later) only a few months after he arrived in India. I think it had a total of 82 sorties on it before it was lost.And thank you for your interest and doing some digging. I hope your having fun with the package, as well the history.Best Regards'Garett

Hi GarettA great piece of work and a wonderful tribute to your Grandad. I am sure that he would be very proud of you. I live in Derby,UK the home of Rolls-Royce Aero Engines where I worked for most of my life. I was only a youngster in WW2 but if we went for a cycle ride which took us nearby the RR factory, we could hear the incessant but beautiful roar of Merlin engines on the test beds. The factory was of course a prime target for the Luftwaffe but because of several diversionary measures in place, the factory was only hit once and that was by an early morning daylight raider who got lucky with his air strike but surprise,surprise didn't make it home!I have just finished the first leg of the long haul to India and as my tribute to your Grandad (and all the other guys who must have made the same trip)I intend to finish it.My signature is the famous motto upon which Sir Henry Royce built his success and reputation. I instilled it into all the hundreds of young men who passed through my hands as Head of Apprentice Training at the Company from where I retired in 1992. And yes, I am a Grandfather as well. Well done

Guest stevehow

Hi garretIn a real Spit your gandfather made it all the way to india...me,i could even get a pretend one out of England..i cooked the engine 100 miles short of portreath:-)...but..i'm not giving up there and i'm going to set aside time to do as much of this amazing trip as i can.also on the hunt for a copy of the book you mention. best wishes steve

Thank you Frank for your kind words, and for sharing that interesting story. No doubt an very interesting career, with front row seats to observe the majority evolution of the aircraft engine - and all the advancement's and changes made up to today.LOL, with training the "new" generation of young guys in my shop - I'd be happy if they could at least get down the most basic of moto's:"Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty"Just wish someone would have come up with one for putting the darn tools away, clean of course would be a bonus...Well no doubt you know how things have changed, and since you know engines - here's a link you might get a good chuckle from, it does for me every time I see it. :)

Enjoy your flights !Best Regards'Garett