Sign in to follow this  
cklink

why are my runway lights etc, floating above ground lev...

Guest kalch

the lights on the runways and on ground textures seem to hover above or appear almost like a torch above the ground.Installed I have GEX, UT, FSGX 2.0, ASX and ASgraphix.Any ideas?Michael K

I'm seeing some of that in FSX without any texture or mesh addons. Taxiing onto the runway, I often pass thru a runway light hovering a couple of feet above the runway.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Guest fsxmissionguy

In point of fact, most runway lighting is above the ground. It looks weird probably because the associated light fixture is not included, owing to the performance implications.Here's an example of a runway light fixture.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188511.jpgMany have even longer stands that they sit on, raising them up higher off the ground, providing a ground glow effect that makes the easier to see.

Does that mean that if you turn autogen to the max you will see the stands? I have runway texturess in the air as well, and they appear in the sim-world to be around 3-4 feet tall.

The round world code in FSX will cause some airport/runways to keep the lights from clamping properly to the ground. Not all runways in the airport world database are affected but in some cases the lights will clamp to the ground midway of the runway but on the ends of the runway will be elevated. We have yet to find a fix with the stock airports.

Thank's for that Jim,That's one that I really notice up around places in Alaska. Some lights where almost as high as the wing on the Cessna. And as you stated the mid point of the runways are okay. I thought it's was the mesh, but disabling it had no effect. I had noticed this right after my SP2 update.Regards'Garett