Sign in to follow this  
Guest Teddie

Smooth camera panning in VC?

Guest moti0nflow

How exactly do you pan around smoothly in VC? I keep seeing videos of people flying and they're looking around the VC as smooth as butter. I know there's mouselook, but I use the mouse to use the cockpit and other commands. And it's not a framerate problem because I get 26fps steady. Anyone?

Guest NoobPilot

TrackIR 4. It senses where your head is in real life and moves/pans the camera view to reflect your head's position.

Provided you have enough machine, and have your settings right, there are 2 ways to have smooth VC motion:1) Mouse look2) trackIRAny other method, such as the hat switch, in my experience produces jerky panning.Also, just because you get 26 fps, does not mean your VC panning will be perfectly smooth.RhettE8500, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest moti0nflow

Thanks for the replies

There is also a tweak, BufferPools, that affects the smoothness of your panning. If your panning is not smooth, even with TrackIR or Mouse Look, then try different BufferPool settings.It helped me some, when I had a 256 meg vid card.RhettE8500, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hold the 'Shift' key down and use your mouse.It's as simple as that.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Slowing the pan rate helps a lot - you can edit the value in the 'Cameras' cfg, which you'll find in the same location as your main 'fsx cfg'.Lower the 'PitchPanRate' and 'HeadingPanRate' in the VC section, until you find a setting you like...mines set to 15 and 25.

In editing your cameras.cfg there are even more possibilities. Here is as an example my VC part:[CameraDefinition.002]Title=Virtual CockpitGuid={C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}Description=This is the description of the virtual cockpit view.Origin=Virtual CockpitMomentumEffect=YesSnapPbhAdjust=SwivelSnapPbhReturn=FalsePanPbhAdjust=SwivelPanPbhReturn=FalseTrack=NoneShowAxis=YESAllowZoom=TRUEInitialZoom=0.7SmoothZoomTime=2.0 --> change this for faster or slower zoom adjustmentZoomPanScalar=1.0ShowWeather=YesXyzAdjust=TRUEShowLensFlare=FALSECategory=CockpitPitchPanRate=20 --> rel. slow vertical panningHeadingPanRate=50 --> faster horiz. panningPanAcceleratorTime=1 --> after 1 second of steady pan the pan rate accelerates - so you can look around fastHotKeySelect=1Mouse pan is much too jerky and inprecise for me with my right hand on the stick and left hand trying to mouse-pan...Regards

Guest Teddie

If you're using the TrackIR 4 (pro clip) and it is not smooth, I've found that increasing my BufferPools setting really does wonders.[bufferPools]PoolSize=7000000 // TEDDIE The default value in SP2 is 4000000.Not sure how much vid mem interacts with that tweak, but here's my card:8000GTS 640mb6400 amd black edition

I'm using TrackIR 4 Pro Clip and it is jerky...How do I edit the bufferpools???Dave