Sign in to follow this  
sargeski

I am an Exclusive DX10 User, Maybe not?

Guest acolvard

I have been using DX10 exclusively with Vista 64 on 2 8800 GTX in SLI with a matrox th2go full screen VC. I have been using it becuase my performance was so much better. I use SLI because I get about 2-3 FPS better. The only problem I have had was getting my fourth monitor to work as a GPS monitor. It always worked in DX9, but I can not get it to work in DX10. So I have been using Nhancer and 174.74 Nvidia drivers for awhile with great success under DX10 and I thought I would give the fourth monitor a try again to see if the new driver would help. It did not. I am in the process of recreating a GPS 500 with all buttons and knobs and a 7" LCD. So I would really like to have this functionality. I am also planning on building a fully fuctional G1000 for when "The Mustang" (yes I will pay $90 or whatever) is releasedI tested the LCD in DX9 and it works perfectly. So I decided to check out the difference between DX10 and DX9. Some visuals are better in DX10, Some not. I could probably live with that. So I started watching the frame rates. Has something changed? With my settings which are custom and nearly maxed I get about 20 - 22 FPS in DX10 SLI Ocassionally a drop to 16. My target is set to 24 So now DX9, same flight consistantly 24 FPS occcasionaly (very rarely) drop to 20, regardless if SLI is enabled.The only thing I can think of is that Nvidia has improved their drivers greatly for DX9. So two questions, does this seem right and does anybody have a fourth monitor working in DX10 full screen VC (or maybe even a second since I have the matrox)?

Guest SpeedBird192

I had the exact same experience as you on Vista x64 with a very powerful CPU/GPU combination. After many months of trying to get better performance out of Vista and DX10 and FSX, and waiting for SP1 for Vista (which did nothing to help), I finally gave up and went back to WinXP.I can't tell any difference visually between DX9 and DX10 for FSX other than I gain considerably more fps under DX9 with the same graphics settings/detail. DX10 preview mode did introduce a ton of bugs and other problems (especially with 3rd party stuff).Hopefully Microsoft/Aces will re-write the next FS from scratch and do it right next time around. Clearly X-Plane 9 has managed to demonstrate features (aka no blurries) under DX9 that Microsoft/Aces said was impossible on current high end hardware and RAM limits.Not bashing FSX at all, I really enjoy it, but I also enjoy X-Plane 9, pros and cons in each, but it's good to see that X-Plane 9 was able to debunk some of the myth's presented by Ace's dev team that current hardware isn't good enough, when it appears it really is good enough for X-Plane 9.

Seems to be spot on to me.I have ALWAYS had better performance and better visuals under DX9. With all FSX settings being equal, I will have anywhere from a 20% to 50% performance decrease under DX10 depending on the area in which I fly.This has been true for both Vista x86 and Vista x64.SLI has little benefit for FSX. Most SLI users report little to no increase in FPS as compared to running on a single card.