Sign in to follow this  
XWRed5

747 default takeoff help please...

Guest Teddie

Folks,Does anyone have a link to a tutorial for taking off in the DEFAULT FSX b747-400.I've seen a few tips here and there, but I can't seem to find a concise tutorial that is NOT the PMDG version... all of my searches end up with the PMDG version... I don't have the PMDG version yet.I'm just trying to take of correctly in the default fsx 747, but more times than not, when I'm rotating it feels like the tail drags and I end up skipping like a rock on the water... (at KDCA, etc).I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong :(Thanks for any help you can give.Cheers,Teddie

Guest jshyluk

Don't forget to check your fuel and weight! If memory serves, the default 747 comes loaded to the brim with fuel, passengers, and cargo. Go into the Load Manager screen and trim out what you think you don't need. Of course, how much fuel you need to carry will depend on your destination. I think there are some fuel planners out on the Internet that can help you, or even the MSFS Flight Planner can give you a ballpark figure to use. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

KDCA's longest runway - 1/19 at around 6,900 feet long - is way too short for a fully load B747-400.You need about 9,900 feet of runway covered to get to an average V2 speed of 144 KIAS for a MTOW B744.Now, I have removed all the cargo and passenger weight, and set the B744 for 1/2 fuel - and can get it off the ground in about 4,800 feet of runway - in FS2004 and FSX.Be sure to hold the parking brake as the engines spool up to 85-90% before releasing the brake.

Guest Teddie

You guys are very helpful, thank you!I will try your suggestions tonight.If I uncheck the "unlimited fuel" option, is there a way to have FSX manage the fuel load based on my flight plan?

It has been so long that I don't remember what impact unlimited fuel has on the weight.But the flight planner will give you a guess as to how much fuel the flight will take. I always add at least 25% more.

Guest jshyluk

Kind of, sort of, not really. I'm not sure what you mean by "manage the fuel load". In FSX, fuel is treated as another source of weight. As long as the fuel weighs something, the engines will run. If you use "unlimited fuel", then the engines will never shut off if your fuel weight = 0. Also, whatever fuel you are carrying does not get used up, if memory serves me correctly. What you can do is figure out in basic terms how much fuel you will need by looking at the Fuel column in the Flight Planner. It's not very realistic, but give or take 5-10%, you should be okay. Based on that figure, you can enter that fuel value into the Fuel menu at the beginning of your flight session. Be sure you are using the correct units, unless you want to replay the Gimli Glider. After that, FSX will automatically handle how your fuel gets used, although some aircraft have a cross-feed switch that allows the pilot to fine tune where the fuel goes, which helps maintain a good center of gravity. If you are learning systems, there's nothing to stop you from "cheating" a bit, i.e. changing the fuel load while in flight, or turning on unlimited fuel or no crashes. It takes quite a few runs for a rookie pilot to learn the flow of the checkists and procedures during a flight, so you want to make sure you can handle the basics of getting from A to B before you start adding on layers of realism. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest SkullxBones

At Vr rotate to 8 degrees nose up until you are clear of the ground. This will stop the tail strike you are experiencing. Anticipate Vr, and have the plane rotating right at Vr speed. Don't wait till Vr to start pulling back or it will extend your takeoff length. I hope you are using your flaps properly?

Guest Teddie

Yes, using flaps correctly. Thanks.Guys, I want to thank you very much.It was the weight from the fuel.I looked in the nav log and lowered the fuel accordingly.One thing I'm confused about. The fuel that tne nav log specifies, do I put that number in each of the fuel fields or do I work out all the fuel fields to equal that gallon number? (this is probably a dumb question).Thanks again guys. I just flew out of KDCA in the default 747 and it was a dream.

The fuel requirement listed in the nav log is the total fuel required, you'll have to distribute this total among the tanks listed in the fuel dialogue. I simply take the amount suggested by the flight planner and divide this by the vehicle's total fuel capacity and enter the percentages into each fuel tank. You'll have to add a bit for taxi time and for flying the pattern, but experiment with it and see what sort of milage you get. It's crude but effective.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest Teddie

Fantastic!Thank you.

>At Vr rotate to 8 degrees nose up until you are clear of the>ground. This will stop the tail strike you are experiencing.>Anticipate Vr, and have the plane rotating right at Vr speed.>Don't wait till Vr to start pulling back or it will extend>your takeoff length. I hope you are using your flaps>properly?Of course that's in the sim only. In real life you never "anticipate" rotate speed, it is the speed the rotation should be started, not the speed at which the aircraft will leave the ground.*At* Vr the non handling pilot calls rotate and the handling pilot (irrespective of the other guy's call) starts the rotation *at* Vr.Just to "keep it real",Ian

Guest SkullxBones

>I don't have the PMDG version yet.Until then, try downloading the IFLY 747 in the files section of this website. It's free, it has a few bugs, but it's much better than the default 747. It might work with SP2, I don't know, I'm still using SP1.

Guest SkullxBones

>Of course that's in the sim only. In real life you never>"anticipate" rotate speed, it is the speed the rotation should>be started, not the speed at which the aircraft will leave the>ground.>>*At* Vr the non handling pilot calls rotate and the handling>pilot (irrespective of the other guy's call) starts the>rotation *at* Vr.>>Just to "keep it real",>>Ian>All pilots should anticipate Vr. Any competent pilot should know his Vr speed ahead of time and be anticipating and executing the rotation at Vr and not waiting for the co-pilots callout. Note- Anticipating doesn't mean you should rotate before Vr, that's why I said "have the plane rotating RIGHT AT Vr speed". When I said, "Don't wait till Vr to start pulling back or it will extend your takeoff length." The point here is that you should be rotating at Vr, not just starting to pull back the yoke which takes a bit of time in the Sim before the aircraft actually starts to rotate, especially since you you have to pull back so slowly to meet the 3 degrees per second requirement.According to Captain Mike Ray who flew 747's in real life, you should gently pull back the yoke at V1 until you feel the air resistance so it will be ready at Vr.Teddie case is even worse where he is using the default 747 which, unlike the PMDG747, doesn't have any V speeds on the tape, much less a co-pilot to remind him.

Guest Teddie

>>I don't have the PMDG version yet.>>Until then, try downloading the IFLY 747 in the files section>of this website. It's free, it has a few bugs, but it's much>better than the default 747. It might work with SP2, I don't>know, I'm still using SP1.>>>>Thanks for the advice.I downloaded the IFLY 747 today. I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight!

I'm sorry, that's simply not correct.Vr is the speed at which the rotation is started. The speed at which the handling pilot first moves the yoke (or stick) to initiate the rotation. Rotation is the movement of the yoke (or stick) to result in the rotation of the aircraft, *not* the physical movement of aforementioned aircraft, that's the result, not the act of rotation. You're correct that the handling pilot doesn't simply wait for the co-pilot's call, it's his responsibility to rotate, the other guy is just helping out. Nevertheless, there is no anticipatory movements of the yoke.While I'm sure some people do it, I've seen one guy do it for real, it is not correct. It is an old wives tale, a myth, simply poor airmanship. Lots of very clever people sat around defining, discussing and calculating Vr, to start the rotation before Vr is arrogant at best, unsafe at worst (need I mention the Sacramento ice cream parlour?).In the sim it doesn't matter but please don't spread these myths and legends as real life truths.Hope this helps,Ian