Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

Vista product page with magic screenies

>is finally changed. :-).Sometimes it just takes being a burr under the saddle blanket... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest player1

Looking forward to FSXI/DX10..but actualy prefer the DX9 version of thos two shots...FSX-DX10 version unrealisticly adds too much bright sky reflections to the water.

Way to go. This is the case with many larger companies - left hand, meet right hand. :-)

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

>Looking forward to FSXI/DX10..but actualy prefer the DX9>version of thos two shots...FSX-DX10 version unrealisticly>adds too much bright sky reflections to the water.I think so too.Patric

Considering the slagging that went on over these images remaining on the Vista product page - I have to say it is disappointing that when something gets done that the community complains about that there then isnt more commentary by those who have slagged or that 50% of the commentary is off topic.

Guest jshyluk

No good deed goes unpunished, Phil. At least you get to take money home for your good work, you can take comfort in that. And we still love you, albeit in a platonic, long-distance, few-of-us-know-what-you-even-look-like sort of way.In honour of you and your achievement, I decided to Wiki "Phil" to see how the Phils of the human race have bettered our society. There's over 500 of them! I am posting the top 50, the top 10% of the cream of the Phil-y cream:Phil CollinsPhil Spector Phil LaMarr Phil McGraw Phil Hartman Phil Keaggy Phil Ochs Phil Hellmuth Phil Donahue Phil Lynott Phil Mickelson Phil Lesh Phil Silvers Phil Rizzuto Phil Mitchell Phil Hill Phil Ramone Phil Tufnell Phil Jackson Phil Esposito Phil Jaques Phil Elvrum Phil Bredesen Phil "The Power" Taylor Phil Rudd Phil Collen Phil Neville Phil Simms Phil Housley Phil Stacey Phil Anselmo Phil Manzanera Phil Niekro Phil Gramm Phil Ivey Phil Vassar Phil Gould Phil Read Phil Hendrie Phil Foglio Phil Lewis Phil Neal Phil Koperberg Phil Goff Phil Gingrey Phil Garner Phil Dent Phil Madeira Phil Zimmermann Note that "Phil Taylor" is Number 24! Wow! Then I discovered that Phil "The Power" Taylor is actually a champion darts player. With all due respect to The Power, I think we should get our Phil a listing on Wiki. I will write it in on the list:Phil Taylor -- #51 Phil on this list, #1 Phil in our hearts, at least until a better one comes along. For once, I am sorry I never write with emoticons. Big smiley face at the end.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Can't speak for the off subject commentary... but lack of volume may have to do with the generally decent weather across the country. I've noticed that posts are decreased in general here. I haven't watched it in summers past, but I assume that nice mid-spring weather could be some of the problem.Also, there is this scenario. I, for one, was smitten by the magic screenies and also some very early ... shall we say "optimistic" ... FSX screen shots. I went out and spent thousands to build a new liquid cooled system. The disappointment over the final DX-10 product was significant for many of us who had loaded Vista, dealt with its newness shortcomings, and endured its some 10% perfomrance defficiency compared to XP ... we bought a hugely expensive DX-10 capable video Cards. We had to be ready for the DX-10 magic of FSX. The rest of the story does NOT need to be played back. It was a nightmare from which many of us have awoken. I understand how working on SP-1,2, coming on the FSX team in the midst of processor architecture changes, Acceleration... all caused many DX-10 good things we had justly expected to be left on the floor... AND then ... Joy of Joys ... Some of us finally jetisoned Vista, DX 10 ... took weeks to rebuild (for me) about 90 gigs worth of FSX and addons... onto XP. Then this good guy Nick N comes along, who can explain (to computer challenged people like me) how make our XP sytems run pretty doggone well. And now I am having a WONDERFUL AWESOME time enjoying FSX. Not perfect ... but 90%+. A real joy ...... AND Why ...Because I managed to LOWER my expectations from where Microsoft originally extablished them for me. When your expectations are realistic ... you have a much better time ...... I say that to say ....Getting the magic screenies removed after months and months ... seems a little "anti-climactic" to me. But its never too late for a more truthful presentation, I suppose. My guess is, except for those who must be complaining consistently ... dropping the screenies... at this stage of the game ... just isn't a big deal.More appreciated ... is Phil's commmitment to FSX ... availability to the community amidst the bombshells and flack. Something tells me that we are in for a much better ride with FS-11.Steve

Guest tmilton

>Phil Taylor -- #51 Phil on this list, #1 Phil in our hearts,>at least until a better one comes along. Agree, except that I also think Phil is irreplaceable. I really like the Phil we have. :-)The eventual updating of the pics may have been anti-climactic (after all that waiting) , but I'm glad they now depict FSX more realistically. I wonder what took so long? :( ( Yes I know about the right hand, left hand, large corporation thing) I'm sure Phil pressed on in his usual dedicated way to have it corrected. Thanks Phil!

Good job ..nothing like truth in advertisingI just want to know when you are going to put the FAX in Windows Vista Home Ed. Its more important than DX anything :-)Bill

I third that. When I fired up the DX10 version of FSX for the first time, my first reaction was that something was wrong, because the water was too blue.But enabling things like full water reflections, bloom etc. take a much smaller performance hit under DX10 than under DX9 on my system, so the overall image quality is still better, despite the uglier water.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Like I said, overall DX10 provides better image quality and performance, at least on my system. The only thing that looks slightly worse is the water (but I can use full reflections instead of medium, so overall even the water looks better under DX10). Give it a try before drawing conclusions.Don't believe all the FUD about Vista. It's faster, more secure and looks better than XP. Unless your system was built in 2001...

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Nick_N

I did not think they needed to completely change it...Just use one from the real sim in-game with no image editing,,,,like thishttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/188669.jpgIts amazing what you can do with a few suneffect.cfg changesOf course I do not use Vista or DX10 so its possible I could probably get the water better if I did and worked with it a bit