Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

Warning about ImagineSim Scenery

I will never buy from them again. They claim their scenery is SP2 compatible but it is not. After asking them about some issues I see with their scenery I am told that it is the fault of SP2. Here is what they said:There's nothing we can do about it I'm afraid. It's a problem that only appeared after SP2/Acceleration was released so it's something wrong with the way it interacts with certain third-party airports. I fear that MS are not going to issue any more updates so I guess the add-on community are stuck with it. In fact it looks like most airline simmers are ditching SP2 now and are going back to FSX+SP1.Thats a bold statement when you offer a patch to make it SP2 compatible! I contacted Sim Market and they refuse to give me a refund so I will stay away from them as well.

Jim Wenham

Guest moti0nflow

You could also dispute the charge with your card company. They will take them on for you :)

What is wrong with the scenery when you run in SP2? Did you not try out the addon before purchase?I don't own anything from them. But I like what I see with what they have done with San Juan, PR. Taxiway/rwy textures seem nice.But it doesn't work with SP2, then its a no go for me.. Thats for sure.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>I will never buy from them again. They claim their scenery is>SP2 compatible but it is not. After asking them about some>issues I see with their scenery I am told that it is the fault>of SP2. Here is what they said:>>There's nothing we can do about it I'm afraid. It's a problem>that only appeared after SP2/Acceleration was released so it's>something wrong with the way it interacts with certain>third-party airports. I fear that MS are not going to issue>any more updates so I guess the add-on community are stuck>with it. In fact it looks like most airline simmers are>ditching SP2 now and are going back to FSX+SP1.>>Thats a bold statement when you offer a patch to make it SP2>compatible! >>I contacted Sim Market and they refuse to give me a refund so>I will stay away from them as well.>Ask for a credit. If they won't give it to you then 1. call your credit card bank to cancel charge 2. report situation to the Better Business BureauIt's even more bold that the ACES team won't fix FSX.I really feel ripped-off on FSX.

Thanks for the post and the warning.Is anyone able to add any information on running SP2 with no ImagineSim Scenery problems? Is this true of all of their scenery, or individual unique airports? Which ones have the problem, and which ones do not if this is the case?The disturbing issue to me is the reply both from ImagineSim and Sim Market, not that the scenery did not work. Another score for the FlightOne format allowing one's money back within 30 days if it is a no go. They are evolving into just about the only place to make purchases in my book (well, make that the best and safest place).As far as, "In fact it looks like most airline simmers are ditching SP2 now and are going back to fSX+SP1", I DOUBT THAT! First of all, I know of nowhere that this has been established as a fact. The majority of my flights are "airline" or exec. birds and I have had no issues at all with SP2 (WITHOUT Acceleration and with WINXP).Respectfully:RTH

Guest UlfB

Hi,I got curious and had a look on several of Imaginesims FSX sceneries on Simmarket.>They claim their scenery is SP2 compatible but it is not.I couldn't find any claim that the sceneries are SP2 compatible. Only info that it's a scenery for FSX and FS2004. You should allways be careful when buying add-ons for FSX and the developer doesn't state exact information on compatibility.>I contacted Sim Market and they refuse to give me a refund so>I will stay away from them as well.Whenever you buy a product from Simmarket you take a risk because you have to agree to terms that doesn't allow refunds. You have to actively tick a checkbox about this. This is your own choise and of course you cannot ask for a refund when you have agreed to Simmarkets terms.I whish that all vendors would handle refunds the way Flight1 do. Simmarket doesn't take any responsibility regarding what they sell.Ulf B

1st, its SimMarket. They have always had this refund policy and they stick to it. But, if you research what you are buying and understand SimMarket's fine-print, then its never a problem. Sure there are a few unhappy purchases reported each year and they blame SimMarket, but they've been publishing for years and they're still in business, so they must being doing something right.2nd, Imaginsim is quality stuff that's been around for a while. They have the same SP2 compatibility problem all the other add-on scenery airports do, with AI and aircraft-shadows turned on. Not a problem for me, becuase I try to avoid 2nd-pass video features, like shadows, that are documented to affect frame-rates anyway. If I'm not mistaken, SimWings had just released their new Heathrow '08 upgrade when the sp2 issue was identified. Was it their fault too?You've got choices:Run FSX sp1 or sp2 (I recommend sp2)If sp2, then run shadows or AI (I recommend AI)This is a MS FSX sp2 bug that will just have to get resolved in FSXI and until then, decide what is important to you but don't blame the developers that got stuck between a rock and a hardplace.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest fsxmissionguy

If they truly said that "most airline simmers are ditching SP2 now and are going back to FSX+SP1" because they are unwilling to make their product compatible with the latest Service Pack ... then that's not just a bold statement.It's the main reason why I think in the next version of Flight Simulator, companies that say those kinds of things just aren't going to be allowed to have their products interact with the FSX.EXEIt's statements like this that will cause Microsoft to limit development to "approved, licensed" product.Here's a company that should take a good look at its website and count the number of times it uses Microsoft's registered trademarks improperly. If I'm Microsoft ... that's certainly what I'm doing if you're trashing my product to my customers.They don't HAVE to allow just anyone to use their trademarks.

>This is a MS FSX sp2 bug that will just have to get resolved in FSXI and no, this is a use of the FS9 code path that is no longer compatible with SP2, and that code path will be removed for FS11.I have said this before, the compatibility line for FS11 starts with FSX. Even there a re-export thru the FS11 SDK may be required - but that call has not yet been made.

First, they offer demo modes of their products. Did you try them?Second, they prominently proclaim SP2 compatibility;"19 February 08 All FSX airports SP2 compatibleCustomers using FSX with the SP2 upgrade can now download patches for all of our FSX airports. Just follow the 'product update' link on each main airport page to download the free patches.">It's statements like this that will cause Microsoft to limit>development to "approved, licensed" product.Kevin, the scope of your comment frightens me. Microsoft to tell me whether I can or can not develop an addon? Or that I must buy a license to develop? With FSX, I got my license by purchasing the Deluxe version. Now how is it suppose to work on FSnext? What price? What parameters? How policed? Will I have to download the Flight Simulator Genuine Advantage and let it connect every time I go online?I can't think of anything within the Flight Sim community that scares me more than to think about Microsoft dictating and or policing the addon market. It's just my own opinion, but Microsoft needs to focus on the core product and not duplicating the long list of problems that are a part of FSX. Should they attempt to stray outside their bounds as a vendor of a game, then I fear they will soon see a mass exodus of their clientele.Lance, from SoCal

Guest UlfB

Lance,>First, they offer demo modes of their products. Did you try>them?I had a look at Simmarket once more and there is no download available for either Kansas City and La Guardia. From where can I download demos?Ulf B

>I will never buy from them again. They claim their scenery is>SP2 compatible but it is not. After asking them about some>issues I see with their scenery I am told that it is the fault>of SP2. Here is what they said:>>There's nothing we can do about it I'm afraid. It's a problem>that only appeared after SP2/Acceleration was released so it's>something wrong with the way it interacts with certain>third-party airports. I fear that MS are not going to issue>any more updates so I guess the add-on community are stuck>with it. In fact it looks like most airline simmers are>ditching SP2 now and are going back to FSX+SP1.>>Thats a bold statement when you offer a patch to make it SP2>compatible! >>I contacted Sim Market and they refuse to give me a refund so>I will stay away from them as well.> This statement appears at the Imagine Sim site in every Airport they offer for FSX: "Please check the demo version before purchasing to ensure that the product is to your satisfaction and operates effectively on your PC system." This statement/offer appears at the simMarket site for Imagine Sim Airports: "Download the demo/evaluation version (18mb - no charge)"Both sites give you the chance to test before buying and you apparently chose to ignore it.So place the blame with yourself and not Imagine Sim or simMarket.Craig