Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Lessons and Listening to ATC:

On an FS2004 forum at another site, there was a post relative to ATC to which I made the following reply. For those that have never experienced the real thing, I thought it might be of value. If this should not be on this particular forum, I apologize to the monitors, but I thought it was relative and might be an item that would thrill and enhance flightsim pleasure particularly to newcomers.On the VatSim site there are links to listen to intensive real world ATC. The most impressive to me is the Macey STAR approach into KATL. On the site you will find several other choiices as well. For anyone who has not looked at this, the path to observe and listen is as follows:1. Go to: "http://www.vatsim.net/" in your explorer address2. In the left column, put your mouse curser over and left click "Resources & Links".3. Scroll down and left click on "Centers" under "Live Real World ATC Audio" under "Real World Aviation Resources".4. Left click on "ATC Monitor.com - Northeast Atlanta Macey Arrival".5. To see Radar along with the ATC, lest click "View: Center Radar" or "TRACON Radar" in the left column.You will note that you have a number of other options such as listening to the tower and other sites, (i.e. KORD if I am not mistaken).On my system, if I dilly dally around in my sequence of activating (clicking on the links), I will get an error message and my explorer will shut down. If I go through the above sequence with some degree of promptness, there is no problem.Awesome isn't it? How would you like to be an ATC Controller at KATL?Happy flyingRTH

You do not have to go through Vatsim. The Northeast arrival for KATL is at the followinghttp://www.atcmonitor.com/The Northeast Arrival Sector is now called LOGEN. It is made up of several STAR Arrivals (FLCON, WHINZ, & PECHY) when the MACEY 2 arrival was decommissioned in early 2006. LOGEN is Atlanta's northeast low altitude sector handling all arrival aircraft from the northeast between 11,000 feet up to 23,000 feet.

Thanks for the interest, additions, shortcut and replies folks. I realize there are other sites with similar oontributions. It usually is a long time between when I take a peek and have to figure out how to get there again (and it changes on vatsim.)In a reply on another forum to this subject, someone suggested that they did not know the location of "KATL", arguably the busiest airport in the world.It is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. May seem unbelievable to some of us Yanks, but be careful. I have sure shown similar ignorance on my part relative to some giant locations in Europe and other parts of the world. In forum and email communication with a flightsim friend in France/England on another thread, I was pointed to the "nantes-ville.zip" download in France. I had no knowledge of the city much less the airport. It is beautiful addon scenery that I would highly recommend as another jumping off location. Sure makes me wonder how many other locations of which I am ignorant and might add so much to the flightsim experience. (Wish I could visit them real world as well).For what it is worth, a listing of the most active airports for the last several years from one source is located at the address:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2...senger_trafficClick on each individual airport for additional information. Wonder how many of us in the USA that have never been in that part of the world know where "Narita International Airport", the 24th most busy is, or even where the city is, "Narita, Chiba"? Seems I get more ignorant every day.Respectfully:RTH

Thanks for the interest, additions, shortcut and replies folks. I realize there are other sites with similar oontributions. It usually is a long time between when I take a peek and have to figure out how to get there again (and it changes on vatsim.)In a reply on another forum to this subject, someone suggested that they did not know the location of "KATL", arguably the busiest airport in the world.It is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. May seem unbelievable to some of us Yanks, but be careful. I have sure shown similar ignorance on my part relative to some giant locations in Europe and other parts of the world. In forum and email communication with a flightsim friend in France/England on another thread, I was pointed to the "nantes-ville.zip" download in France. I had no knowledge of the city much less the airport. It is beautiful addon scenery that I would highly recommend as another jumping off location. Sure makes me wonder how many other locations of which I am ignorant and might add so much to the flightsim experience. (Wish I could visit them real world as well).For what it is worth, a listing of the most active airports for the last several years from one source is located at the address:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2...senger_trafficClick on each individual airport for additional information. Wonder how many of us in the USA that have never been in that part of the world know where "Narita International Airport", the 24th most busy is, or even where the city is, "Narita, Chiba"? Seems I get more ignorant every day.Respectfully:RTH