Sign in to follow this  
N400QW

Phil Taylor has had enough! No Blogging or Posting

Brian:Seriously? Is THAT what you got out of what I said because your comments are diametrically opposed to the spirit of my post. You did the same thing that your friend Phil Taylor hates very much...touche' (maybe I deserved that?).Regards,Mike T.

Well said. I am just curious why those attacks keep on coming - a year and a half after release.I remember a similar outcry when FS9 hit the shelves, but it certainly didn't last for years and was followed by more polite threads asking for assistance.There is no doubt that FSX has been a milestone and a disappointment at the same time. We got a lot of eye candy and maybe got too spoiled by the various (and frequently) expensive add-ons that FS9 provided. Developers had to re-engineer a lot of their products to not only work with FSX, but with Vista and DX10. User were frustrated with the initial release and the abysmal performance, plus with the confusion about add-ons. It sort of all added up to make the pot boil over and I think that FSX was just one part of the bigger picture of faux-pas from Microsoft in 2006 and 2007. Many had high hopes when Vista and then DX10 was released. Both were touted almost as the "ultimate enhancement" when it comes to render quality and performance and unfortunately neither could really make FSX truly shine.Many people, including myself, spent hundreds of dollars to upgrade their machines only to find a marginal increase in performance. Naturally that lead to a lot of frustration and anger. Eventually, I got over it, because FSX has grown on me. I know that I can't fly the heavies with FSX, because my machine is just not powerful enough. Disappointing? You bet. But there's nothing I can do, so I just use my tweaked old FS9 for that purpose.An interesting point might also be the evolution of the Internet that has let to a partial decline of the quality of forums and online discussion in general. Back in 2004, things might have been more civil; the "troll phenomenon" wasn't nearly as apparent as it is right now.As for Phil's departure: I somewhat expected it. I was highly surprised to even see blogs by FSX team members nevertheless personal forums posts. You have to have a very thick skin to not let personal attacks get to you. I haven't seen a single forum by a game developer where the devs (or community managers) didn't try desperately to keep the "crows" under control. The post with the benchmarks sort of touched a wrong nerve in some; especially while some of us are probably dealing with frame rates in the lower digits, it seemed to be a little out-of-touch to advertise 80+ fps (without AA for that matter) It's like showing us a delicious box of candy that we never get to eat (yet). Personally, I didn't find Phil's involvement overly helpful (sorry). It just let up to more frustrations with DX10, SP release dates, magic screenies, etc.Yes, most of his post were informative, technical and somehwat insightful, but in the end they didn't really help me to solve the core of the problem - performance and usability of the product.Pat (the other one).

Hi,I can understand Phils frustration as I'm sure him and the ACES team put in a lot of work to get FSX ready, but the reality is that it doesn't run well (i.e. fluidly) on good hardware. It's a sad fact.I know I just can't make it run well at all (and I sure as hel1 know I've tried), and adding any 3rd party add-on you like into it kills it further. Why only ACES really holds the answer to, but I know for me it just isn't running anything like FS2004.Sure - I can send the sim back to the dark ages to get fluid frame rates, but why when I can get all the detail in the world with FS2004 and still have it run better?Let's hope ACES (and MS) realize that FSX isn't what it could be, and that FS11 blows every previous version away in terms of fluidity AND detail (at the same time).Best regards,Robin.

>Seriously?>>He compared being vocal about product complaints to beating>people to death.>>He said our community is an unruly mob completely incapable of>managing itself or being civil.>>I guess I had different expectations of the standards of>people I was dealing with when I signed up.No man, Persian or Greek, no man threatens a Microsoft messenger! This is blasphemy! This is madness!Madness? THIS...IS...SPARTA!!!!!