Sign in to follow this  
N400QW

Phil Taylor has had enough! No Blogging or Posting

Phil got into a shoving match with someone at another site. The other guy was not very receptive to the benchmarks and made his point-of-view known in a realatively respectful manner. Now, we all respect Phil, but if you look at the thread, Phil personally attacked him first and compared the poster to his 3.5 year old daughter and made another post referencing the poster being "childish". Now, again, to be fair, we all have disagreements but what makes the forums such a wonderful place is that we can disagree strenuously, make our points and move on (heck maybe even learn something in the process). And knowing how great Phil has been, and how honerable he has PROVEN himself to be, Phil's comments were, quite frankly, beneath a man of his immense stature. The other poster did not return the personal insult after it was made toward him.Fair is fair guys, if the shoe were on the other foot, and it were here at Avsim, the person making such comments towards Phil would have been banned with extreme prejudice.To be sure, Phil has been the object of a barrage of attacks, critiques and finger pointing, and he is still here...that says alot about him as a person. But in this case if you read the thread, Phil was just plain wrong. The poster is entitled to his opinion especially when no personal attack was involved.I do hope Phil reconsiders, God knows we ALL have our bad nights :-)

Guest JIMJAM

When I buy gas, I swear in my mind and sometimes out loud a Exxon.Same with my phone company.We just do not get the Opportunity to actually VENT on a employee.I curse Microsoft at least 2X and day. When I fly FSX,maybe a few dozen.There are alot of pent of frustrations and Phil has a big target on his back.Alot of people think they can tame FSX by throwing money at it and more likey than not, their expectations are not going to be met.So when Phil sticks his head out, someone will/did take a shot.Should not be treated any better or worse than the rest of us.Phil get praise from me for when I have a enjoyable,trouble free flight and swears when I CTD or see single digits with my new $500 video card.Thats just how it goes.

Guest diajohn2

JIMJAN,There are a lot of happy FSX users who spent modest amounts of money on making it fly well. If you can't or some can't then such is life. When you buy a car for your own image instead of driving then for transportation, then the child is speaking. IMHO.Phil has tried to explain from his technical viewpoint and we do have jerks who can't seem to understand anything, fight with him. Is anyone forced to use FSX? NO! Get over it and go play the First Person Shooter game. We all get tired of the #### and moaning.

Most regulars are not abusive to him. There will always be some who do that. You can't avoid that (other than admin moderating) in these open forums.So if Phil or anyone is expecting civility from everyone who visits all forums... then that expectation is weird! JMO.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest bdg52

Phil has been attacked not only from users, but from 3PD's also. I dont understand the attacks personally. I believe he has involved himself far beyond what you will ever see from any other developer insider. Everybody has a point of view and that will never change.Personal attacks are not nice at all!BG

Guest Jimbofly

I hope the idiots who decided to attack Phil Taylor personally are happy if they cause Microsoft to close it's door on ongoing forum and blog support.James

I have read the exchange on the forum in question. There was no personal attack, simply a disagreement about how data should be interpreted. The language was not abusive. But I can understand that anyone would get tired of the continuing controversy surrounding FSX. I do not see how applying a pejorative label to the OP is in any way helpful, since you have clearly not read the posts...Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest JoeInCT

I feel bad. I did hit him pretty hard the other day. He simply wanted to tell everyone that the DX10 screenie on the MS website was updated. I guess I was trying to use negative reinforcement to motivate Phil into agreeing to releasing one more patch for FSX -- which was stoopid on my part. It is just soooo tempting to "go negative" in hopes that it will motivate changes or upgrades.I feel bad though. I guess I should be more patient and eventually, given the financial incentive, the changes we all hope for will come in future upgrades without beating up on people.

Guest Nick_N

Negative reinforcement does not work in child development and does not work in a well developed professional environment. That man has the credentials to accomplish more for MSFS than anyone else in the past and has earned the role he is in now, and, with that alone he should get the respect he has earned.There is nothing wrong with having a on-topic discussions which questions, exposes and reveals in discovery, there is absolutely no place for treating a professional like Phil and his sincere desire to share with anything less than a business respect approach. Believing that negative reinforcement would have any positive effect on the future is quite old school in nature and it has no place today in a constructive and positive environment where intelligent individuals come together to discuss and plan for a project.He does not have to do what he does and especially under the conditions he does it, yet he continued. I sincerely hope that Phil continues to participate, even if he cuts back a bit

No, there is no change dictated from higher up. This is my decision based on how the community treats me.I am sick and tired of a)personal attacks, b)the lack of apology or acknowledgement when something is wrong or gets changed ( the Vista screenies is a perfect example ), c)the using of anything I say or post as an opportunity to take an off-topic shot at MS/Aces/med)the twisting of what I say versus what others say,e)and the tiring repeating of the same old "axe grindage" out in the community at large.My contribution from here on out will be extremely limited based on what and when I feel like doing. And there are no more comments or email to be made on my blog anymore. Slag me as you wish. But not on my blog space any more.I posted a version of the above on my blog, just so its clear to everyone in the community. You all ought to look in the mirror.

Guest cbuchner1

Maybe that's a good decision after all. Leaves Phil more time to dedicate to the product, instead of arguing with (and sometimes against) the community.;-)

if that makes you feel better about, by all means feel that way.

Guest SkyDrift

I can understand Phil's POV. I hope he continues to blog - his comments on technology futures & the workings of FSX were most informative to me, at least. If he decides not to read or reply to the various FSX forums, c'est la vie - as another poster has mentioned, the time taken to do this is considerable & it's not like there's nothing for him to do over in the ACES studios...- Skydrift

I don't post too often, but I read enough to know about the enormous contributions Phil Taylor has made to our hobby. The constant refrain of complaints astonishes me. It is not only rude, it is the basest sort of ingratitude toward a person who, as far as I can tell, has worked tirelessly with a team of equally dedicated people to make our hobby as good as it can be, given the restraints of economics and technology. It's a $50 or $60 piece of software, folks. What do you expect, a moving 747 real life sim?I suggest that people quit whining and take the time and effort wasted by complaints to enjoy the hobby. That's what we are talking about, after all. IT'S A HOBBY!And, after you have restored your wits about you, perhaps then you might have the decency to rethink some of your postings, and actually thank, if not apology to Phil and the Aces team.Thanks, Phil and all of your associates. I appreciate your efforts.Sherm

Phil, I've seen you deal with things well, and then again, not so well. You have a tough job...no doubt. This last set of posts on the Tome's Hardware site article included a very reasonable response from users (imho) that just didn't sit well with you. Paxx on the "other" site, was quite reserved and fair in his comments, and you called him names. I was offended by you (for Paxx). The magic screeny thing struck me as offbeat. Since the silly screenie remained for so long, it became a symbol of marketing/engineering communication failure at MS. Removing an error is not the same thing as providing a gift. Removing an error doesn't provide the community a positive lift. You appeared to be upset that you weren't thanked. I would not have expected to be thanked if I were in your shoes. I wouldn't even have announced that the dumb mistake was finally out of sight. The less said about dumb mistakes the better for business, don't you think?I respect the pressure you feel, and if you need to take a break, by all means you should. I would recommend that trying to make the customers feel bad is not a wise move, again imho. Its reasonable for customers to be unhappy with fsx. That doesn't make it your fault, but its really still reasonable for them to be unhappy. I agree you should not be abused, and that has happened. I just don't see it happening now. I see you saying you've had enough, and attempting to make people feel bad. The former is fair, the latter is stooping to the same behaviour you claim to be injured by.With respect,Bob Bernstein