Sign in to follow this  
N400QW

Phil Taylor has had enough! No Blogging or Posting

What I just realized is that I have never seen ms or aces do a support forum or support in any way except with Phil's blog. Now I may be harsh and may be quite mean. Phil I have one thing to say and it is to suck it up. You released a program that has had many many problems over 2 years and still has many problems. Although it is a great program you can not expect everyone to be happy and dandy when there are still many problems. I myself have been very fed up with fsx. I have a top of the line system and I still get horrible fps with everything I do and I change. I have problems that are pages and pages long, but I have not become angry at you, but what I have done instead is wait for it to be fixed and so far it has been pretty good, but when you come up with a program that has way to many problems and should of been beta tested a little more- if it ever was you need to be prepared for the angry customers. I am in the same boat as they are because this is business and paying $70 on a program that does not put out but is a nuisance is not quite pleasing as you would imagine and I am sure you have been in the same boat as I or any other customer of fsx or anything else. I'm very sorry I had to say this but it is the hard truth. Its suck it up, life sucks, and its only business. I hope you understand and see what I am saying because this is annoying now.Steven

Guest Nick_N

The man gets absolutely no (or very little) credit/recognition for getting it from what it was at release to what it is today,.. ... but all the slag for everything that went/goes wrong even though he had nothing to do with it's design/features/advertising and came in to the project too late to make any changes.*sigh*When I see a lot of the responses which are centered around the anger of a low cost home entertainment software solution when I spend more on lunch many days and eveyone spends on fuel for their car in a week or three, I start thinking William Shatter said it best; "Get a life"

But you have to realize something also. Its just business. This is a hobby for everyone now Im sure most of us- well at least some of us have a life and real jobs and school- We all like our hobbies and we all kind of want them to go well. Even on top of this who gets paid a salary at aces- so credit is really not needed if there are problems that outweigh the benefit. Yes it is a good system but what I am saying is suck it up We like our hobby and you better be prepared for the worst when you release it if you have to much going wrong still.

I believe that Mr. Taylor came on board with ACES after FSX was already released. When people say that "Phil released a flawed product," it seems to me that is completely inaccurate. He didn't have anything to do with the initial release, or marketing, etc. It does seem that he jumped into the fold and did what he could to make FSX better and try to inform FSX end users of realistic expectations and limitations, and tried to help people get the best experience out of FSX that they could. I personally, and this is just my opinion, don't believe that he should be held responsible for FSX's shortcomings, either realistic or perceived. I also believe that those who have real problems with FSX have every right to seek help in the forums, from MS, from ACES, from anybody that can help them. I just wish they would state that they are frustrated and why without all the hostility. How we spend our money is certainly important, but, it's not like we bought faulty pacemakers here. Now that would p*ss me off! Tempers need to cool. Those that need help should get it without being blown off if they remain respectful. Those that give help should be thanked. I really hate to see people attacking eachother over something like this. The whole world is at a turning point. Either we can all work together to correct problems, whether it's Flight Sim or Global Warming or whatever..... or we're screwed.Sorry for the long post (and lack of paragraphs).Thank you,KailFlightSimmer since 1987C2D E6850 3.0GHz 1333FSBXFX Nforce 680i LT SLI2x XFX 8800GT 512MB SLI'd4GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 800MHzCreative SB Audigy2 ZSUltra Xfinity 600W SLI PSUSeagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA-3GB/S HDWindows XP SP2 / FSX SP2 / FS9 SP1

Thanks for listening,

Kail

Kail, I believe that customers would have behaved more to your wishes after MS had conceeded their mistakes and taken responsibility for the misleading marketing and offered refunds with humility. Sadly, the official line was genrally, the product is good...the problems are somebody elses.Yes, you are right that Phil isn't the human that wrote the flawed ads, and mislead the public, but when you cash your paycheck, you represent your company. You don't get to pick and choose which of your company's departments you get to represent, you get them all.Phil was either aware of what he was getting into, or quite naive...having met him, I strongly suspect the former. He's doing the right thing to back away, because the strategic purpose for his presence cannot be acheived without official comporate humility, which is likley not within his permissions to offer.Bob

Well I see his point of view, but when you market something and you are open about it and it has great shortcomings, people will be furious to the extent that they have been cheated and ms is not bad at doing that. But if you are part of this system you need to come to the party prepared because obviously releasing a product with great shortcomings otherwise promised is going to create flak and a great deal about it.

"Give me a pound of Phils flesh, no I want a pint or two of Phils blood, no I want to see penance for all the wrong that MS has done, I want to vent because I'm disatisfied over my $70.00 purchase, I want to dog MS/Aces because RTM wasn't as expected, I want to pxxx and moan because I think everyone should hear what makes me unhappy....on and on and on"Not quoting anyone but many of these threads have the distinct feel that I've tried to outline above...Guys, this is your hobby and your community and it's success depends as much on your own ability to adjust to changes and move forward as it does for MS or any 3PD.Phil is correct, this community could use a good long look in the mirror at it's own behaviour and perhaps re-evaluate whether it's wise to continue slagging about old news...That's my two shiny Lincoln Heads worth:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Seriously, I'm surprised anyone hangs around.I used to think that the flight simulator community was mature compared to other online hobbies, until I started trying to help out, and drew out the same kind of people who made Phil leave.

...and that has destroyed least my personal dream.Beta testers etc. (not speaking of any particular beta testing of which I have been a part of many companies since the 1980's) don't always catch the attention -general users of many times the force often do..however the lines of communication seem to have been somewhat severed recently for good reason..has that been good for all of us?..not a good thing imho.....http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy bog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I am following all this blogs and topics... And i am very surprised that PT swallowed it that long ! The way i see it, PT came aboard a sinking ship and was able to fix up the biggest holes and pump out most of the water. So it could steam on and give the most of us with recent hardware a lot of joy with our beloved hobby. We should be very thankful.I completely understand that he and many of his team decided to retreat from this internet forum trench combat.Heiko

Guest sillyeagle

I have to echo what Mango has posted. Considering what he has put up with I'm surprised Phil remained active for as long as he did. I've given priase to Phil for blurring the line between personal and professional, which to me is very cool, but given the lack of maturity and respect he has had to put up with, I wondered how long it could last. What gets me is some of the worst offenders are not teens but adults. I find it very admirable that Phil tried to do what he did, and if I were in the same shoes I would have also given it a try, but given how it played out I feel he has made the right choice. Seems to me the right choice for a guy in his position is to say what he has to say via blogs of forum, but not engage in the back and forth, else the peanut gallery takes advantage.

Some wrote that they were "offended" by Phil's suggestion to look in a mirror...I have to ask, why? Guilty conscience perhaps?It seems to me that if the shoe doesn't fit, there's no reason to be offended...Lord knows, I manage to stick my two size 10's in my size 20 mouth on occasion, but at least I have the sense to realize when I have after the fact......and enough self-respect to admit it afterwards.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes he was hurt and all of us are wrong, but who pays him. Who does he represent? Its only business and you need to understand that. You put out an underperforming product you will get flak it is that simple.STeven

Maybe... many of us decided to stay with FS2004 not only because some parts of FSX may be broken but because many parts of the "FS community" up here is broken.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit