Sign in to follow this  
bkeske

New RealityXP GPS

>No hit whatsoever that I can see. Ran it last night in the>Carenado Mooney over the British Columbia Rockie/Coastal>Mountain area and it worked brilliantly, especially the>terrain feature on approach at Kamloops.Are they using their own terrain database?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Progress (I think).From the WinXP ADD/Remove Provisions in the Control Panel I uninstalled the GPS.I then reinstalled in safe mode, and everything worked with the exception of one restart of FSX where I got the transparent GPS 530 again.I restarted my computer, cranked up FSX with AlacrityPC, and everything worked fine again.I shut FSX down and tried FS9. She worked fine there too.Shut FS down and restarted several times and she still worked fine.I have a suspicion which may have some credibility, and may not. Usually under any conditions if I start up FSX there is no problem at all. However, there have been times when my computer has been used for other things for a relatively prolonged length of time that if I start up FSX, I do not get a complete display of some secondary windows on my secondary monitors (i.e., If I resize the GPS500 to full screen on a second monitor). If I restart my computer, and possibly use AlacrityPC to shut down other programs and services as well, I have never had any problem at all.I cannot wonder if the same thing is happening relative to the XP GNS 530??? Possibly might the computer be under a system specific condition where it is just a bit more than that with which it can handle, while a fresh restart and shutting down other things gives her enough to function well.At any rate, so far this seems to be the solution on my system. I don't know whether the safe mode reinstallation really did anything or not, but I am thrilled to see this contribution functioning on my system. I highly recommend it.Good luck:RTH

Ed, I believe the terrain database is part of the Garmin Trainer. Whether or not it takes into account the terrain data used in any particular persons FS, I'm not sure. But I can tell you with FSX, and also FS Genesis mesh, I am incredibly surprised how accurate it is to what I'm seeing out the cockpit. I was flying around the San Juan islands low and slow, in addition to the Cascades, and I was very impressed. I even had towers visible within FS where warnings showed-up on screen. Even ones atop hills. Impressive.It works really well, and again, not a frame rate hit at all.

>Ed, I believe the terrain database is part of the Garmin>Trainer. Whether or not it takes into account the terrain data>used in any particular persons FS, I'm not sure. But I can>tell you with FSX, and also FS Genesis mesh, I am incredibly>surprised how accurate it is to what I'm seeing out the>cockpit. I was flying around the San Juan islands low and>slow, in addition to the Cascades, and I was very impressed. I>even had towers visible within FS where warnings showed-up on>screen. Even ones atop hills. Impressive.>>It works really well, and again, not a frame rate hit at all.Ok... was curious. Accessing the terrain data inside FS would be a big no-no. I know because I was looking into it myself.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest SkullxBones

I had the empty box problem also, but after reinstalling it fixed it.Now I just wish all the developers would setup their panels so that all areas on panel are accessible through the panel.cfg so we can put whatever gauges in them we want. Too many planes like the default Baron have large blank areas on the panel where the new Reality GPS would fit nicely but no way to install gauges on those areas.

>I had the empty box problem also, but after reinstalling it>fixed it.>>Now I just wish all the developers would setup their panels so>that all areas on panel are accessible through the panel.cfg>so we can put whatever gauges in them we want. Too many planes>like the default Baron have large blank areas on the panel>where the new Reality GPS would fit nicely but no way to>install gauges on those areas. >>I assume you're discussing the VC.... and that's not a realistic expectation to be honest. It's a fairly complex mapping process to get gauges into a VC.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest JeanLuc_

I've been off this forum for maybe 2 months, but let me just say that the above is not true: we have released 3 years ago the ST3400 TAWS which indeed uses the FS Terrain data in real time, with no FPS hit as well.As for the GNS, it is the same Jeppsen database you would get on the real unit. For this release, it is one valid between OCT07-NOV07.Hope this helps! (at least, it helps me bumping my account back before automatic expiration).

Thanks for the clarification Jean-Luc. The 3400 was one gauge I never purchased from you, but makes sense that you would use the same technology. Having it integrated into the 430/530 is a wonderful addition.

>I've been off this forum for maybe 2 months, but let me just>say that the above is not true: we have released 3 years ago>the ST3400 TAWS which indeed uses the FS Terrain data in real>time, with no FPS hit as well.>>As for the GNS, it is the same Jeppsen database you would get>on the real unit. For this release, it is one valid between>OCT07-NOV07.>>Hope this helps! (at least, it helps me bumping my account>back before automatic expiration).How do you get around the legal issues regarding the licensing of said terrain data encoded by MS?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>Thanks for the clarification Jean-Luc. The 3400 was one gauge>I never purchased from you, but makes sense that you would use>the same technology. Having it integrated into the 430/530 is>a wonderful addition.Actually, he's not. The terrain/obstruction data on the new GNS430/530 is coming directly from the Garmin 32bit trainer.Jean-Luc was simply pointing out to Ed that getting the data from FS's own database is indeed possible...Whether it is legally permissible is -of course- another question entirely.My best hypothesis is that like so many other 3PD situations, ACES is simply giving a wink-and-a-nod to such technical violations of the EULA.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm hoping Lou and Jean-Luc are feeling generous and decide to upgrade the 430 in the Dakota!You know you want to.....;-)

Guest JeanLuc_

I was wondering to which path both Ed (Eaglesoft) and Bill (Eaglesoft) would have liked this discussion to go to. And I thought it was only on Dreamfleet related threads...Well, since you are well versed in Law and EULAs, don't assume "I get around" it, nor have such libelous statements in a public forum.

Guest JeanLuc_

Thank you for your kind words! and you know, it also works for FS9 as well, with the same purchase!