Sign in to follow this  
bkeske

New RealityXP GPS

Depends on your definition of painless...To get it installed, you do the following after choosing which aircraft you want to add the GNS 530 to and which existing gauge you are going to replace in the panel.In my case, I selected the Carenado Mooney, the Eaglesoft Twin Comanche and the Digital Aviation Cheyenne and replaced the existing GPS for the Mooney, MX20 for the Comanche, and Weather Radar unit for the Cheyenne.Then:1. Use the RXP config application to add the GNS 530 to each panel.2. Open up each panel.cfg file with Notepad and replace any mention of the selected gauge to be replaced with the name of the GNS530 which can be found in the new GNS popup panel window. The actual name is: rxpGNS!GNS530example from the Cheyenne:gauge71=DA.PA31Avionics!WXR,868,1698,544,350 becomesgauge71=rxpGNS!GNS530,868,1698,544,350save the file and you can go flying.

Bert

Guest JeanLuc_

You can also just directly change the gauge name in the panel.cfg file, and use the GNS Config application to adjust the GNS gauges settings (in this case, you don't use it to automatically add a popup window)

Coupon is valid now.

I am ASSUMING that this GPS can be added to ANY aircraft. Right?Stan

>I am ASSUMING that this GPS can be added to ANY aircraft. >Right?>>StanI'd say that's probably true, as long as said aircraft uses the default FS autopilot.Any advanced avionics aircraft (such as LDS 767, feelThere Citation X) would be a serious "no-no". This GPS wouldn't play nice with them at all because of it's own autopilot code.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest JeanLuc_

the GNS WAAS is offered as a gauge, and like any other gauge in FS, it can be added to any panel (main, popup, VC etc...).It comes bundled with GNS Config application which permits adding the gauge to any panel with a couple mouse clicks. Of course, for more advanced integrations, you can do it manually (tutorial included in the product documentation), or use a GUI tool (like FS Panel Studio).Since it is independant of the FS GPS system, it will offer full simulation and feature set with any aircraft. This means the entire GNS capabilities (near 100% of the real GNS) are simulated and available. You also get additional features not available in the real unit :) like exporting the current fligth plan to a file. This permits for example to load the active flight plan in the FS flight planner for ATC purposes (like you'd fill a flight plan over the radio from your aircraft after entering it in your GNS!).Make sure to review the many options available to link the GNS to your instrumentation (VOR, HSI, Autopilot). Like in the real world, you can tailor the GNS links to the other gauges (within some FS limitations, it is just a sim of course!). Like in the real world, not all GNS are connected to VOR, HSI or autopilots!

Guest DreamFleet

I think it pretty much goes without saying that a Boeing 767 or Citation X would never see a Garmin 430/530 in their panels anyway as there is really no need for them.Earlier biz jets have had them added (earlier Citations, Sabres, etc). In fact Gamnin makes a version with a grey colored face plate to better match some of these panels.Otherwise, not too many FS aircraft out there with custom autopilot code, and those that have such code would not be ones that you would be installing a Garmin into. ;)Besides, a Garmin can do very well in the hands of any capable pilot without need to couple it to an autopilot, and that includes flying an LPV approach, which I have done by hand. Not hard to do at all.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

>>Besides, a Garmin can do very well in the hands of any capable>pilot without need to couple it to an autopilot, and that>includes flying an LPV approach, which I have done by hand.>Not hard to do at all.The issue isn't about anybodies capabilities, It's about safety and reliability in the approach phase. It is impossible to out fly a well functioning autopilot, and the ability to fly very accurate coupled approaches to minimums allows the pilot to manage workload more effectively and this is the primary intention of the WAAS program. Whether or not you choose to hand fly or couple the approach with the AP is still a personal choice of course, but if you have a G430W / G530W and an modern conventional AP (S-Tec 55X as an example) that will couple approaches, then it "will be able" to couple an LPV laterally and vertically that is being received by the Garmin units. Unfortunately, FS doesn't always understand that, but there are ways to accomplish it.

Guest JeanLuc_

I've not had the chance to fly a real autopilot yet (well, only a Level D 737-500 and Challenger 800), but I agree an autopilot is definitely a relief in many cases.However, it I guess it is always good to practice hand flying approaches with LPV anyhow, as I guess it is even a requirement (hand flying approaches) every 6 months or so?!?

Hand flying the approach is not a requirement although on a checkride or instrument refresher the instructor will check your hand flying skills. The approaches can be flown with the autopilot and as you progress into more sophisticated aircraft and especially aircraft requiring a type rating the emphasis turns more towards understanding and using the advanced avionics and autopilot in all flight phases.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Zane is correct.The FAA and specifically FITS, strongly encourages the understanding, usage and proficiency of automation in TAA aircraft. Like I said earlier, you cannot out fly a well working flight automation system and learning to use it well and often will make you a much safer pilot for many reasons. That is a proven fact.Jim

Totally agree - I miss the Aerowork B200 quite a bit...

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest JeanLuc_

Well, since the new GNS WAAS also works in FS9, no need to wait for the FSX B200! just configure the new GNS WAAS in it for FS9!Hope this helps!

Guest JeanLuc_

Thank you for the clarification on this point Zane and Jim!