Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

Aerosoft Hughes H-1B released

Guest JIMJAM

Not a heli but the 1930's Howard Hughes H-1B from the Hollywood blockbuster The Aviator.I am a big fan of old planes and there are not many from this era.Just wanted to get some heads up.I will buy her and try it later but it looks fantastic. Jim

Guest JIMJAM

Talk about a difference in decisions.The H-1B sounds like a REAL challenge to fly and operate the engine.But, I downloaded the Space Shuttle Sim and its systems junkie heaven.Maybe too much so....Think I am more of a smoke and dripping oil kinda guy.I wonder what a gallon of gas cost in the early thirties?

Guest JIMJAM

1st flight impression.After reading the description, I was paranoid after reading about how easy it was to burn the engine up.The vr pit is really good. You can almost smell the old aluminum and the old round gauges set the roaring 30s tone.I did a quick read over the quick start.Pumped the fuel wobble to 4 psi max and hit start.The switch would not stay on and the motor died.Repeat fuel pump to 4, I kept clicking the starter switch on/off and the motor roared to life. I have seen this problem with started switches since fs9.Engine sounds and ambience is great.Vis over the nose is non existant. Worse than the longest nose ww2 fighers you have ever flown.Take off engine torque is present but not as bad as other piston fighers. If you have any stick time on the tail draggers, its not difficult. Just watch your wingtip until the nose drops. Then full power and the speed increase is very quick.I once read a book when I was training in real life called, "Flying the engine". This is a perfect example as most all the indicators/gauges in the pit are for the engine. If the engine dies, you cannot even put the gear down and the glide ratio is like a brick.I flew a short hop from Palmdale to Edwards.Took it easy as all the gauges are staring at me with that big ol motor waaiting to bite me. I threw in a quick roll as the engine will loose power as it has no inverted fuel pump.She retains speed so it takes a while to burn it off.Full flaps,gear down vis was good.120 over the numbers,flare and touch down at 80.Very smooth and easier than I was expecting.The realair Spit or Wings of Power planes are much more difficult.This plane is about the engine.Its one of those special planes that is not a every day flier. Its in the sr-71,ww2 figher class.Just flying for the fun of flying while being of no real use in the civilian world.You are not going to be delivering cargo into Lukla or carrying virtual passengers into St Barts. Hmmmmm- Think I am going to try that now!

>The switch would not stay on and the motor died.>Repeat fuel pump to 4, I kept clicking the starter switch>on/off and the motor roared to life. I have seen this problem>with started switches since fs9.It's a pity the author apparently doesn't visit any of the Panel & Gauge development forums, as the explanation for and fix for this issue has been available since the time of FSX's release.In fact, I even published some code that will automatically detect whether FS9 or FSX is being used, and allows the same "starter gauge" to be used in both sims... :-kewl

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest JIMJAM

Finally some more true FSX planes are being released and no Fs9 portsTheir Otter and now this one are VERY detailed and look fantastic while still being able to run at very good fps.My worst fps with this one was when you start the engine and the cockpit fills with smoke.This sucker is FAST but my fps remained high.As for the starter switch, I may or may not be doing it right.I click it, it goes up, then comes down.I have not done any in depth reading into the pdf but I tried both holding it and tried both r and l mouse buttons.Considering the other MAJOR issues I am having with Nvidias drivers, the starter switch is no biggie.Anymore, I am happy if a addons runs at all.BTW- Got cocky and had my first crash. I did a high speed pass and pull into vert. Pushed over the top pulling negatives and the engine choked.:-boom Stalled it and I was outta altitude and ideas and made a big smoking hole in the desert.Lesson learned- Engine does not like to be upside down or negative Gs.

Thanks for that great post Jim, it was very informative. I think I will get this one. Now looking forward to getting through the slow commute today and back homestead way. :D

Guest JIMJAM

I give them alot of praise for developing and putting out this plane.The Cessnas,Pipers,Boeings,Airbus are getting saturated.How many CitationX planes do we need. Even though FSX is lacking any good addons, I am glad to see these old planes brought back to life.I have a Pyramat gaming chair I got at a good price from Sharper Image.Its got built in speakers in the head,arms and a sub woofer under you.When I CRANK it up,nothing moves you like those old radial engines.My vision is still blurred from my last flight*:-* I have been a good boy but now I am going to do all the wrong things and see how bad I get bitten by this plane.

I looked at the screenshots - awesome VC!I was not going to mention the price, argh, well I will mention it. I guess it's not quite the sort of acft I would pay that much for. But some will because they like that void that this acft will fill. So that's good. I mean, it looks really nice. I just have to limit myself these days heheHow fast does it go?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest sillyeagle

>>I was not going to mention the price, argh, well I will>mention it. I guess it's not quite the sort of acft I would>pay that much for. Are you serious? lol When Alphasim is charging $50 per plane these days I think $35 is a prety fair price. Heck I paid $45 for the RealAir Spit and this one is surely on the same level of quality. You should take a look at the manual, the modeling of the engine system has got to be the most complex I've seen for a plane like this. I just can't get over the VC. http://www.aerosoft.de/shop-rd/bilder/scre...1/hughes1_6.jpg

Guest thx1137

Seriously good isn't it. I don't normally buy the real oldies but I will make an exception for this one. Steven.

>>Are you serious? lol When Alphasim is charging $50 per plane>these days I think $35 is a prety fair price. Heck I paid $45>for the RealAir Spit and this one is surely on the same level>of quality. I thought it WAS 50!?!?!Maybe I read it wrong. EDITI must have been looking at something else, though the price at pilotshop is 5 more than it as from aerosoft.Sorry, yeah, for 35 thats decent, my bad

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>It's a pity the author apparently doesn't visit any of the>Panel & Gauge development forums, as the explanation for and>fix for this issue has been available since the time of FSX's>release.>>In fact, I even published some code that will automatically>detect whether FS9 or FSX is being used, and allows the same>"starter gauge" to be used in both sims... :-kewl If the simple pre-start checklist is followed correctly there is no problem with the starter switch.Michael

Guest JIMJAM

I did not even look at the price.Complaining about prices anymore will lead to the "dont buy it then""they work hard..." the "value is relative" and turn this post into troll bait.I have been flying the plane alot since I bought it and its a real gem. To me, its worth every cent.To the guys who enjoy flying planes that look like a tylenol with wings,hit the AP,mouse the entire flight and consider hand flying,manual labor, they will be dissapointed.Someone mentioned Alphasim.I have spent ALOT of $$$$ with them and have complained on their forums and to the big guy himself.I had my head ripped off and my #### handed to me. The only one who personally emailed me and apologised was "Dano"?, tht head guy. Alot of their stuff is from outside developers and they have to pay them also.They have been BRUTALLY attacked in numerous forums so trust me, they KNOW how alot feel about $40-$50 planes with average VCs and few mousables.But guess what.... They make planes nobody else makes. If you want a 50-60s era cold war fighter,bomber, no much to choose from. Want a Long EZ, good Sr-71 or.. I could go on and on.But because of their prices and those that the euro kills us Americans on, I am alot more selective.Like the Hughes H-1, its a specialty market. When Alpha came out with the EZ, I did not even look at the price. Had to have it.Same with the Hughes.I have had a hel of a beter time with my new addon thatn that last tank of gas I bought. And it went out the back of my tail pipe.

Guest -BeNt-

Aparently they already have, because the H1 I got from them does not do this, the only time you would have to continuously flip the started switch is if you don't have both tanks turn on on the selector switch.