Sign in to follow this  
cshark172

Cost of PMDG 747?

Ummmmm?Where is the $53.95 link? All I see in the link above is $59.95 available May 30, 2008. (Another short between these old ears, or in this case may be eyes).Am I overlooking it, or is the $53.95 price gone?Thanks:RTHCorrection:During checkout, the $53.95 price is displayed (Isn't that a pleasant surprise?).Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the heads up.RTH

I may or may not have answered my own question. In viewing the PMDG forum, my interpretation is that the boxed version will be released in five days, May 30, 2008 through Aerosoft. It will have all updates through that date. I guess it still does not answer whether future service packs or patches will be available for the boxed version, but if I understand correctly, it will be up to snuff for everything available at the present time.Happy flying:RTH

On your system Ryan, it will run but the Level-D was really sorted out for FSX and was improved dramatically.The PMDG747X, on the other hand, is much more demanding but, useable if you don't VFR in it. ;)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest D17S

If a simmer is primarily interested in operating the airplane, the FS9 version is the better choice. Now that we have the 744-FS9 update, the only real difference with the FSX version is out-the-window eye candy. FSX runs great with the canned airplanes with sliders high (Can't get enough of that P51, skimmin' the Colorado river down in the Grand Canyon!). However with those same slider settings, coming down final nets ~ 15FPS over a dense urban area. I've started to challenge myself to see how much weight I can get onto a rural boondocks strip. Great fun. But flying a typical urban approach at 15FPS takes the 'feel' out of the airplane. That airplane is soo good an experienced simmer can feel its weight. It takes > 15FSP to bring that airplane to life. Autoland is still an option, but now that I can actually fly the airplane, I want to fly it. With a "tube," below 10K' is where this happens. Even a Q at 3.6/9800GTX/4gig-O-ram won't do it. A $1000 QX might get me +10% to 4.0Ghz (and frames from 15 to 16.5 FPS). FSX shines with less demanding airplanes, but totally chokes with the 744 on a typical destination's approach. PMDG has addressed this with the FS9-744 patch. Now without compromise, FS9 is (still) the platform of choice for the PMDG plane-set. And FS9 can still dress-up pretty well with the right addon set.Run 'em both. They each do different things well. Cost? The cost for the airplane is still Exactly the same. Remember PMDG went to Euro pricing a while back? The writing on That wall was hard to miss. PMDG saw it and made a Very smart business move. 60 Euros only got them $70 back then. Now it gets them $100. Very smart. For instance in late 2002, 1 dollar = 1 euro. Oil is currently 75 euros/barrel, but now now 130 dollars/barrel. Same writing, Same wall. Stay tuned, cuz not only is it not over yet, it's accelerating. If you want that airplane, buy it Now.

I think I will hold off. Seeing that it performs worse than LvlD...And I've really been migrating to FSX, flying in FS9 is nothing compared to FSX, at least for me. Thanks for your help all!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest UlfB

>I think I will hold off. Seeing that it performs worse than>LvlD...>>And I've really been migrating to FSX, flying in FS9 is>nothing compared to FSX, at least for me. >>Thanks for your help all!Hi,One thing that's important flying the PMDG and LevelD is to pull several display setting sliders to the left. No use showing a lot of autogen and such when you fly an aircraft like the PMDG. This will give you more fps to fly the heavies. Remember to save the configuration in FSX. Makes it easy to load a VFR och IFR configuration.Ulf B

Guest D17S

". . . flying in FS9 is nothing compared to FSX, at least for me."It entirely depends on a simmer's primary interest. For instance, the PMDG airplane happens in the cockpit and FS9 allows that function without compromise. FSX's primary advantage is improved environmental realism (eyecandy) for the VFR fliers. Has anyone been to Emma's Field? It's a magical place. The MSFS platform was never intended to support the technical realism of a PMDG airplane. We half-joke about observing, "Is MSFS PMDG qualified". So far, it is Not. We PMDG fliers are constantly having to react to the additional (virtual world) realities and vagaries of the MS environment. The airplane is constantly being blamed for miss-behaviors that are attributable to sim, not the airplane. The fidelity this airplane brings to the sim accentuates its every nuance, both good and bad. You think Phil gets a bashing? The brutes tend to be especially brutal, especially at this site. Check out the PMDG forum. Those guys have been taking it for years. I'm amazed they haven't reconsidered involvement in the community too. This airplane is only seriously appreciated by a relatively few (non-dead) horses. It is a miracle this airplane exists at all and we are thankful for it. However MS could Never support their product by appealing only this consumer group. A general MS audience wants increased environmental / visual realism. It's interesting to note that even in a flight sim, the airplane must still be considered just another piece of eyecandy. The Mfg might talk of flight dynamic and systems realism. However MS's buying public will not notice it, use it, or really care at all (other than reading the box in a Best Buy aisle). This is where FSX IS an improvement over FS9. It will allow Aces to survive while they continue to hone their product. Maybe FS11 will finally allow the interests of both siming communities to consolidated into a single platform . . . but we're not there yet. Use Both FSX and FS9. The fulfill equally important, but - different - purposes.

What I dont get is that the other site is selling it for $74.95 while computerpilot.com is selling it for $59.99 plus 10% off this weekend. Nothing like putting an extra 15 bucks in your pocket. Scott

>>It entirely depends on a simmer's primary interest. I know, that's why I said "for me" :)>>Use Both FSX and FS9. The fulfill equally important, but ->different - purposes. I do, and I do exactly what you do, without the PMDG part hehe. If I fly any realistic long haul flights IT IS in the LvlD and IT IS with FS9.On occasion I try to fly my older DreamFleet stuff with FS9, but as soon as I look out the window it's just plain yucky. The terrain textures and sparse autogen are a major turn off hehe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Same in real flying-the "primary interest". Pushing buttons or flying-which is more legit?I go to breakfast every Saturday with airline pilots/who also fly GA to "fly" and more casuals like me....Before I started flying in 1989 I thought flying commercial jets would be the ultimate....Now after 19 years of flying and hearing the "dope" from those who fly commercial jets I am not so sure which is really flying (actually I have an opinion).I did do some practice ils's yesterday and used my autopilot which I usually avoid-and it was pretty cool. Which is more legit-flying by hand in a masterful way or using a beautiful autopilot-they both are pretty cool?Point is flying is a different experience for everyone-as is simming-as are simulators...Thanks for the pmdg-and thanks for all the other stuff besides it. We all find our nitch.The negative stuff is for the birds though...all the nitches are legit ("eye candy" which is always stated as a negative is also a positive-I started flying 19 years ago for it and I still do) !http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest D17S

How could eye-candy be assessed as a negative? Here's how. Check out an eyecandy-ish sunset, then consider: How could any of it occur? Negativity (or positivity) is Always a creation of the perceiver. It simply Cannot exist as a function of the perceived. It doesn't live there. Tap one's heals together 3 times or just create a change of mind. It's as simple as that (and pretty well known!)

"It's not really worth it for FSX. FSX is only useful if you fly out in the boonies in a Cub (not that there's anything wrong with that), otherwise the performance combined with the 747X is atrocious." I'm sure you meant to say that it's not worth it on YOUR machine. Speak for yourself; not those of us who have no problem running the PMDG 747 Craig

Agree 100%. Just started a flight with PMDG at KSFO, MyTraffic 55% and was getting 22 fps (unlocked) with the PMDG. At cruise now, and seeing 45+ fps. That is good performance to me!Kylehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant