Sign in to follow this  
cshark172

Vista x64 performance?

Hi allI have been considering an upgrade to Vista x64 for some time but my concerns have been with the performence of FSX. However recently I have read that a number of you have positive experiences with Vista x64 so I loaded my copy of RC1 onto my old test machine to see how it compared after first testing it on XP. One thing I did notice was that frame rates were considerably better in full screen mode rather than in a window, is this still true on the release version with Vista SP1?From what I have read the performance on Vista (especially x64 version) is much improved from what it was and is now as good as on XP or have I misled myself? My current machine is a C2D 6850, 2Gb Ram (going to increase to 4 Gb) with a 8800GTS (640 Mb) graphics card.I have other reasons for wanting to make the change to Vista so if anyone who has made a similar upgrade would like to share there experiences I would be most grateful.ThanksPhil

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

Hi I'm running vista ultima 64 and love it. The performance is much better for me. I'm also running a 2.6quad core, 4gigs of high end ram, and a geforce 8800gtx. The good news is that Vista 64 recognizes all my ram where the 32bit OS did not.I'm running xpac and radar contact in the background and still getting between 25fps to 35fps with scenery sliders an average of 75 percent, except water and traffic on 55%. My plane of choice is the flight1 McDonald Douglas, Super MD80.I'm also running the newest Nhancer in the background. It took some tweaking to get maximum frame rates with the best and clearest on the ground scenery. I do have mega scenery for So Calif, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Dallas. For some reason I get even better frame rates in those areas.Hope this helps.Capt.Mac

I'm also using Vista 64-bit with my new system. I think it runs great, seems very smooth most of the time. I must run it in full screen mode to get that performance, windowed mode is awful. I fly Wilco 737 and LDS 767, both have never been better.Curt

Thankyou both for your comments. Ordered a copy Vista today.Phil

I'll add to the positives on Vista64. It has been a good experience for me, although there were one or two ridiculous hitches that I was able to work out.FSX is very fast on V64. Maybe I would have an extra frame if I had installed XP as the OS, but I can't imagine it being any more stable. I can run, and re-run the sim multiple times without rebooting and without any residual mem issues.The only issue I can think of would be an add-on that doesn't play with Vista64. You would need to be careful on that, and check around for compatibility.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks for warning about add-ons, I've already downloaded the Vista 64 drivers for all my hardware. Just waiting for Microsoft to send me the x64 DVD.Phil

Guest abulaafia

I have two almost identical machines, one x32 at the office and one x64 at home. FSX runs considerably better on the x64 version. Fantastic performance.

Yes, this has been my experience as well. I dual booted XP and Vista64 for a while, but performance was much smoother in Vista64. Also, I haven't had a single OOM since gooing to Vista. I would get them about 25% of the time in XP32 with FSX.KyleFS box: Q6600 (@ 3.24 GHz), ASUS P5E3 Premium, 4 GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 (Cas 6-6-6-18-2T @ 1440 MHz), BFG 8800GTX 768, Soundblaster XFi Fatality, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Samsung Spinpoint F1 750 GB, Silverstone TJ09 case, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 PSU, Vista Ultimate 64http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant