Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

What is best way to install FSX?

I'm going to reformat the computer and reinstall FSX, only, on it. I have two 160 GB hard drives. I had been running them in RAID 0 configuration but is that the best? Is it best to put FSX on one drive and the OS on the other?What is the best configuration for best FSX performance?Mike

I would just leave both on the same physical drive. FSX accesses files from Windows in flight. I just get a decent disk defragger like Ultimate Defrag 2008 or something, and sort by name but put all the FSX scenery files on the outer platters of the HDD

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest fsxmissionguy

Do a search on these forums for posts by Nick_N. He's the "authority" on maximizing your install for FSX.

Guest jshyluk

I have to disagree with Ryan! I would definitely choose to put FSX on a different drive than the OS! For one thing, you will have more room for add-ons, and for another, if you do something bad to your OS, like pick up a virus from that all-naked poker gambling website, then you won't necessarily zorch your FSX installation. I also think that having FSX on a separate physical drive reduces some of the stutters. Nick N. is totally the current authority on how to set up FSX around here, so definitely look him up. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest Nick_N

Authority?ATHORITY????*grins with evil look*AS SAID dubbed authority of setting up FSX

I'm only saying what Michael from FSGS once told me.Who knows.....Nick's right, YMMV!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>>AS SAID dubbed authority of setting up FSX

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Nick_N

>>>>AS SAID dubbed authority of setting up FSX

Seriously excellent info! :-beerchug ... and also written so funny it'll be a while til' I can get up off the floor from laughing so hard! :-xxrotflmaoWe just HAVE to see more balanced threads like this at AVSIM: let the "prose" outweigh the cons!:-bigangelPS: I wonder if those Commandments were written on a "Tablet PC"?:-lol GaryGB

Guest Nick_N

>PS: I wonder if those Commandments were written on a "Tablet>PC"?Yesbut it crashed...I am in the process of writing a spam forum complaint and hunting down the development team and their blogs so I can slag them tooEDIT: Scratch that.. I just found out it was something I didBut I'm still ticked off so I may go ahead and slag them anyway the first chance I get and every chance thereafter. The thing runs a bit slower than I expected and I should not have to deal with that.