Sign in to follow this  
Palebushman

Help needed with flying default learjet

Guest s0436

It seems very unstable during taxi, and for takeoff the aircraft is going all over the place on the runway and then takes off automatically. AP is not on and weather is good.Also, is the "course" heading visible on the panel anywhere? I have text tags removed.I know there was a problem with the default a321 with it being hard to fly, but we sorted that out by pressing flight controls on the upper panel.

I don't know what you mean by "I have text tags removed", so can't help there.However:Is this the only airplane you are having trouble with? You didn't mention what you were using for a joystick or controller.Overall, it sounds like you are over-controlling or have the control sensitivities set too high. I don't often use the Lear so I loaded it into FSX, (Vista OS) added a 5 kt crosswind, and found nothing unusual. All the Flight Sim airplanes are ultra-sensitive to ground winds, and you just have to be light on the control inputs.1. By "takes off automatically" I assume you mean it lifts off before normal rotation speed, and that would almost have to be because the elevator trim is set for too much pitch up. Reset it to zero to 1 notch up max.2. Yes, the course setting is visible (along with the Heading setting and several other things) in rather large letters on the leftmost CRT display. It is labeled "CRS".3. Taxi at a lower speed, and be very light on whatever you are using for a rudder/nose wheel steering control. Also, make very small corrections on the take-off run.If you still have problems, re-set the sensitivity of the rudder control to a lower value on the slider.Regards, Good lick,Thrakete

Guest fsxmissionguy

>It seems very unstable during taxi>for takeoff the aircraft is going all over the place>takes off automatically.>>Also, is the "course" heading visible on the panel anywhere? S,At what speed do you normally taxi? Then, what taxi speed do you normally notice instability?Next ... at what speed do you rotate the aircraft on takeoff? There is no trim wheel in this aircraft (trim is electric and on the yoke), but I'm curious which button on your joystick you use for trim? Have you checked trim settings prior to takeoff?That you are having these two issues simultaneously might suggest problems with your joystick calibration.Finally, here is a screenshot showing where the Course Heading is displayed on the primary flight display panel (this one showing a Course Heading of 340 degrees):Course Heading Indicatorhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/189109.jpgCheers,

I have trouble with reverse thrust in the learjet. After touchdown, I deploy the spoilers and as soon as I apply reverse thrust, the nose lifts off the runway and I float. Sometimes it floats for so long, after I touch down again, there isn't enough runway to stop on. The learjet is the only aircraft that does this.

Guest gmark

raynuss,There's no way you should be floating upon doing a reverse thrust in the Lear. Somehow your configuration with keys may be "mis-configured". Dunno. And you haven't mentioned if you are final with AP/glideslope or in a manual configuration. First off, the reverse thrust is done via the F2 key (held down or via a key selection with full repeat). If you're on AP coming in, forget the auto throttle and manage the speed with the throttles, dump the AP and reduce throttle to zero at the threshold and glide onto the runway, after wheel squeal, engage the reverse thrust and brake, then tick the throttle forward a bit (and then back to zero) to dis-engage the reverse once your're at a decent taxi speed. Proceed to your gate at normal taxi speed.Note that the above description is a "shotgun" approach to your question, but perhaps it will help. Realistically, the above is only roughly right, the proper procedures are literally bent to the extreme. Hope this helps...Cheers!GMarkatKLUK

Yup, that's just the way I do it and the learjet will raise it's nose and float every time I apply reverse thrust. Doesn't happen with any other jet, just the lear.

Guest s0436

I agree the Learjet is quite 'bouncy', if for a better word. When I land I do have to make sure the nose is right down by pushing the joystick right down when touching down and applying reverse thrust and brakes. Overall it's far more 'sensitive' than the other default aircraft, maybe it's like that in real life?

I did a little experimenting and I figured out what is causing it to "float". It's the spoilers. If I don't deploy the spoilers, I don't get the floating. It takes a little longer to slow down, but at least I don't run out of runway. I 'll have to try deploying the spoilers AFTER reverse thrust and see if that makes a difference.

There are few others that make visiting our AVSIM FSX forum, a real enlightening pleasure.But you Kevin,Have an absolutely brilliant way of expanding ones' mind andmaking aspects of our hobby, so much easier to understand.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Dude,What a really nice compliment. Thanks! Mostly, I'm just learning this stuff as I go along and passing on what I pick up from the other really, really smart guys who you didn't mention ... people like:Phil TaylorPaul LangeBrandon SeltzBill LeamingReggie FieldsJeff ShylukRhett (Mace)Nick NBrian GefrichTim "Beatle" GregsonGeofaTom A.... Sheesh, it was dumb of me to even start a list like this of people who have given a lot more of their time and who are a lot smarter about Flight Sim than I'll ever be.You know who they are, because they're here every day answering questions for people just because they enjoy helping us. I get a lot more than I've given here!Cheers, mate!

"You know who they are, because they're here every day answering questions for people just because they enjoy helping us."It was for that reason that I omitted their names Kevin.No doubt, as your time and experience becomes greater here in AVSIM,the other folk of the "Magnificent Few" will become better known to you as well.Nice to see that you have discovered a good bunch of them so far.