Sign in to follow this  
Guest freefall

Anyone else getting bored with FSX?

Guest SanH

I have been using FS since version 5 but i think this is the most bored i have been in that time. One of the major disappointments for me has been the lack of freeware add-ons for FSX. I know there are some, and some very good ones, however there are far fewer then we saw for FS9.Ultimately it gets a little boring flying the same aircraft, with the same add-ons.FEX with the weather engine and REX look good, but they are months away from being released it seems. Most good add-ons wont appear probably until near FSX11's release time. By then we will be looking to move up to the new sim rather than stick with this one.I go to the "hot add-ons" sections of FS websites to see whats new out there. In between the 20 good FS9 add-ons i find something for FSX.The end result is i havent played FSX for months and dont think i will play for a while yet. It all seems to have fizzled out.Anyway, my two cents.San

Guest fsxmissionguy

San,Are you a collector? Or are you a pilot?Some people get bored because they've collected everything and completed their sets.Some people get bored because they're such good pilots that there aren't any challenges left?I'm curious, which camp do you fall into?If you are the first, then I would agree with you ... you should probably sit out for 6 months until the hobby has a chance to produce more stuff for you.If you are the latter, let me know, I can provide you with some challenges that will test your abilities as a pilot ... which should keep you occupied.I assume you have Acceleration?

The Microsoft "answer" to boredom was the Missions.That was addressing a much larger issue than the folks on these forums - but the great majority of FS pilots who want specific objectives to complete.I've personally not flown all the missions, even most of the missions. But I've tried some freeware addon missions and some are very, very good - challenging.I find FSX is only expanding - but I'm doing things like flying many different aircraft (yes most are FS9 converted over) in events with other FS pilots around the world.From float planes in the Caribbean to pre-WWII fighters and bombers in South America to racing around the world.To me the key element to finding happiness in FS is to find a group of people who like to fly like you fly, and fly together.

What you need is (i) VATSIM, (ii) one or more of the good "heavies" (eg, PMDG 747X, Level-D 767), (iii) the patience to get it all set up properly and (iv) a co-operative wife or a divorce, to give you time to play with it.Tim

Same her, although not necessarily boredom, my wife took the yoke from the computer and put it in the basement. I'm now on a bit of an informal hiatus for a few months.I will say it's nice to have a break, do other things instead of sitting in front of the computer for hours on end, but I'm starting to get the itch again, fortunatley we're on an extreme savings binge to garner enough cash for closing costs on a house so as long as I'm not flying FS I don't get that massive urge to plunge down 20-50 bucks for the next must have add-on.The downside to all this is when it's all over, my credit cards won't know what hit them.

Guest gmark

Slashed,Unsolicited as this comment is, IMO you're on the right track. Go for the house. This flight sim stuff will be around a long time and your future involvement is likely ensured. But I would advise that your 20-50 bucks estimate be adjusted upwards to perhaps 50-100 by the time you return. Your mileage may vary.And also... make sure that the new place has "space" for that new flight sim configuration!Cheers!GMarkatKLUK

Guest JIMJAM

Looking at all the TMZ,Extra and Entertaiment tonight type post here at Avsim recently, I would say there are ALOT of bored people.We badly need Fscargo,Fspassenger type programs that are good and work. The whole mission thing never took off as everyone thought.I bought 2 of them and they were buggy as heck and with such narrow mssion triggers, no replayablilty.I suggest get Fly Tampa,s St Maarten. Get a good plane, I rec the Aerosoft Otter and fly tourist betreen St Barts and Saba.Also Aerosofts Lukla will make you put a death grip and clinched teeth while landing there.I guarantee a challenge at every landing and some of the best scenery available.

>>I go to the "hot add-ons" sections of FS websites to see whats>new out there. In between the 20 good FS9 add-ons i find>something for FSX.>...and out of those 20 FS9 add-ons, 15 of them work just fine in FSX.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest JIMJAM

Heck ,just fooling with video card settings,Nhancer settings and changing drivers keeps me busy.And if I am really bored and daring, I will open and close the menu during a flight or change settings.I was getting 100% CTDs but now I am down to about 50/50.If I did nt have any CTDs or AA/AF issues or the occasional stutter, I would be bored out my mind.

Guest grapesh

There is a nice antidote to the FS boredom called FSEconomy.com. I highly recommend it to any FS9/FSX pilot.Cheers!=S.V.=CPU: Intel Core2Duo E4500 2x2.2Ghz, 1GbGPU: nVidia Quadro FX 3400 256 MbOS: WinXP(SP2) FS: FSX(SP2) MP: http://www.FSEconomy.com

Guest Shalomar

FSX has changed the way I fly. Now it is almost always multiplayer. About the only time I am in Free Flight is when I want to demo FSX to a friend; test something or for some other reason want quick flexibility of aircraft, time of day etc... Because of multiplayer I rarely do cold and dark starts, and even then a lot more pressing of the autostart key. Very few others do them, and I don't want to keep them waiting.I used to be able to host, but now I am having a problem where no one can see my sessions. So if I don't see a session that appeals to me I usually wait to fly, fly a mission or fly FS9. I miss a lot of the planes that aren't for FSX, like the Venivieonnes Rockwell Turbocommander 690B. My default FS9 flight is cold and dark, of course.Since FSX has come out I have gotten TrackIR, and that killed my long time love FLY 2. I just can't go back to 2D.I have also optimised my rig since FSX came out with www.fs-gs.com .I love to be able to fly shared cockpit; though two of the friends I fly often never enable it in their sessions.So FSX is a lot more about comraderie and virtually hanging out for me, much better than lonely alone time offline.I used to fly FS9 on Bushnet, now dead... or shall I say between hosts. Gamespy has its detractors, but all things considered I prefer it. Even with FSHost, your chances of hooking up with someone interested in the same kind of flight you are is remote. With Gamespy I have made many responsible type friends. Including a few select kids. I "see" my friends now a lot more than the regulars at Bushnet. I deliberately chose from certain regions from Europe to New Zealand to ensure that from 3 oclock in the afternoon to two in the morning there is almost always a buddy to fly with... or my choice. Actually there are extras... the people who I don't have on my friend's list cuz if they're on they are always in a friend's session anyway. On Gamespy a lot more people are online than FSHost and I can quickly see the particulars of the sessions.I miss a few of the friends I left behind with SP1, but every once in a while I see a new convert to SP2 among them. Giving multiplayer a chance might kill your boredom if you haven't already.If you are into something a bit more serious but not quite Vatsim give www.FS-MP.com a try. It's a very stable direct connect server if you are a member, I can go in the breifing room; change planes and always stay logged in. The only reason I don't fly on FS-MP more often is that there is less traffic, what there is is much more spread out; and my friends might come onto another session and I wouldn't know. But usually I show up for Tuesday, IFR night. They have great ATC when it's on, the controllers must get "certified".Well enough rambling. To make a long story short (too late?:-) ) if you are bored and haven't given FSX multiplayer and especially shared cockpit a try I suggest you do so. Or, hey, it's a hobby... nothing wrong with a breather. You will catch the urge again soon enough.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest SanH

I am a pilot. I can land a 747 in zero visibility. I actually dont know how to land the plane using autopilot because i never have EVER.Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think i might give multiplayer a go. Its been a long time since i been on VATSIM or something like that too.

>I have been using FS since version 5 but i think this is the>most bored i have been in that time. One of the major>disappointments for me has been the lack of freeware add-ons>for FSX. I know there are some, and some very good ones,>however there are far fewer then we saw for FS9.>>Ultimately it gets a little boring flying the same aircraft,>with the same add-ons.>>FEX with the weather engine and REX look good, but they are>months away from being released it seems. Most good add-ons>wont appear probably until near FSX11's release time. By then>we will be looking to move up to the new sim rather than stick>with this one.>>I go to the "hot add-ons" sections of FS websites to see whats>new out there. In between the 20 good FS9 add-ons i find>something for FSX.>>The end result is i havent played FSX for months and dont>think i will play for a while yet. It all seems to have>fizzled out.>>Anyway, my two cents.>>SanI fully agree with you. After nearly 20 months you would expect FSX to be head-and-shoulders above FS2004 ... http://th227.photobucket.com/albums/dd91/g...cs/th_shrug.gif

>>>>I go to the "hot add-ons" sections of FS websites to see>whats>>new out there. In between the 20 good FS9 add-ons i find>>something for FSX.>>>>...and out of those 20 FS9 add-ons, 15 of them work just fine>in FSX.>>>Rhett>How many freeware files were labelled FS2002, 20 months after FS2004 was released? The same thing can be said for FS2000->FS2002, and FS98->FS2000 ;)

Guest fsxmissionguy

San,Are you a just a fixed-winged pilot? Because its my view that flying a fixed-winged aircraft is ... well, let's just say it's not much of a challenge. Airplanes WANT to fly - all by themselves.Anyone competent at programming a decent autopilot and pushing some buttons at the right time can land a 747 in zero visibility.But, there are lots more challenges in FSX that require pilotage.How are you doing on your 3-wire carrier landings?Have you gotten the pulley to the top of Sugarloaf without damaging the EH101?Have you managed to rescue the kayakers off the coast of Florida yet?How about the Vomet Comet? Are you able to pull off the perfect parabola every pass?These tasks require the pilot to actually fly the aircraft instead of the equipment flying it, and might be just what you are looking for to get over the boredom you are experiencing.I know once I turned off the autopilot and started taking other aspects of Flight Simulator seriously, I found some latent enthusiasm.Taking a break isn't all that bad an idea either. It's summertime! FSX will be there when you get back from outside.Cheers,